By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 'More than 200K PS3 in Australian homes'

"The PlayStation 3, which has a built-in Blu-ray player, gave the format a massive head start by installing it in more than 200,000 Australian homes. In fact, market watcher GfK said the PS3 had accounted for 95 per cent of all high-definition players sold in Australia to date."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4409721a28.html

The Sydney Morning Herald earlier reported, over a 190K+ install base including 30K sales not tracked by GfK as bundled with Bravia HDTVs.

"The install base for PS3 in Australia is now 190,000, which includes 30,000 consoles given away with Bravia television sets in a post-Christmas promotion that dramatically lifted sales of Sony's LCD TVs and saw Sony Computer Entertainment scrambling to get sufficient console stocks to satisfy demand."

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Or you could read that as more than 200K Blu-Ray players in Australian homes, minimal 190+ (95%) of them PS3s. According to the newspaper however GfK does not include Bravia bundles in their tracking.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

That's quite a misleading title... perhaps I read it wrong but the article says 190k PS3s, not 200k.

if we didn't count units that come for free, Wii Sports wouldn't be at 19million sold

TWRoO said:
That's quite a misleading title... perhaps I read it wrong but the article says 190k PS3s, not 200k.

Well the quote from the link makes it sound like the PS3 put 200k blu-ray players into people's homes.  As for the 190k from the other quote, who knows.

Around the Network

From PS3Vault regarding 2007 sales:

“On the Bravia PS3 offer, we’re now up to 28,000-plus - these are audited numbers from Sony. They have taken about a 30 percent market in flat screens for the month of January off the back of that promotion,” said SCE Australia boss Michael Ephraim.

Recent figures from Sony showed that over 155,000 PS3s were sold in Australia last year, but Ephraim pointed out that the 28,000 units given away in the Bravia deal are not part of this figure, because industry data tracker GfK Australia “doesn’t report on a console if it’s given away free”.

VGChartz is undertracking at 179,469 (16 February 2008), Australian PS3 sales were already 183K back in 2007.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Ahhhh so this site undertracks PS3 in AU as well. Not surprised.

hold on 190k + 30k bravia deal or
155k + 30k bravia deal?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I think its over 200K now .After what we heard about 155K plus 30K with Bravias I think it was at least 185K at 31 dec .Now it must be around or over 200K .

I think so. 190.000 PS3 (31/12/07) are 95% of installed blue ray players

So nowadays at least 200.000 ps3