By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global HW+SW, week ending 3/22.

So, about Infamous vs. Titanfall: We can safely assume that Infamous made a lot more moneyz! Because it's from Sony themselves, they get all the cash while Microsoft had to pay for Titanfall, making a loss in the end because EA gets all dem moneyz from retail. Also, Sony doesn't have to support servers with Infamous being a Single Player title.

As someone once told me, profits are more important than absolute sales! Am I doing it right? ;D

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
So, about Infamous vs. Titanfall: We can safely assume that Infamous made a lot more moneyz! Because it's from Sony themselves, they get all the cash while Microsoft had to pay for Titanfall, making a loss in the end because EA gets all dem moneyz from retail. Also, Sony doesn't have to support servers with Infamous being a Single Player title.

As someone once told me, profits are more important than absolute sales! Am I doing it right? ;D

Yes Sony would certainly make more money. MS might have benefited from the systems Titanfall sold. Also the cost of supporting servers can't be more than the cost to develop infamous. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

OdinHades said:

Everyone buying Titanfall needs Xbox Live ;)

Jay70sgamer said:
Welfare said:
Jay70sgamer said:
@welfare....lol mario kart and super smash said hi.....you said by end of year xbox one should easily outsell wii u... I disagree on that ...yes titanfall is boosting xbox one at this time but once mario kart 8 arrives watch how many wii u's fly off the shelves worldwide ....I see mario kart 8 if properly advertised sell over a million software and at least 200000 to 300000 thousand console boost first week ...more than titanfall 900,000

Lol. Kinect Sports Rivals, Halo 2 Anniversary, Forza Horizon 2, $100 price drop, and new SKU's say hi. For all we know, MK8 will only sell to the ~6 million Wii U onwers that will already have one, just look at Titanfall. 900k sales week 1, but only 150k Xbox Ones were sold the same week. MK8 will have the Wii U hover around +120k for a week, then stay below 90k untill the Holidays/SSB come out.

The notion that MK8 and SSB will save the Wii U is bonkers. Did Double Dash and Melee help the Gamecube that much, a console that is tracking ahead of the Wii U launches aligned? MK8 and SSB will push some Wii U's, but will only sell to consumers that have bought a Wii U al

Do you really believe the only people that will be buying mario kart 8 are people that own the wii u already ..this is the game that people have been waiting for or  on the fence on getting a wii u and it's convenient you left out how you talk only about mario kart on GameCube and not on the wii whereas it sold 35 million copies lol and don't say because it's base for GameCube was the same as the current wii u this is the game people buy Nintendos  for  ...you will be surprised how well this game will sell systems and I'm going to say mario kart says hi ......lol and to compare  kinect sports rival ,Forza or halo anniversary to mario kart is a joke ...mario kart has sold more than all those titles combined on wii ...one game lol 35 million

comparing Wii to Wii U is pretty rediculous. Yes Mario Kart Wii sold 35 million but didnt New Super Mario Bros Wii also sell like 30 million? Look at New Super Mario Bros U sales in comparison, 4 million in about 1.5 years. Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus each sold over 20 million, Wii Fit U is less than 1 million. The Wii was a special console and it makes no sense to compare its software sales to Wii U, its a much better comparison to use Gamecube because its sales are much more in line with Wii U.

So lets look at previous console installments of Mario Kart, it sold in the 7-10 million range on SNES/N64/GC, thats a more realistic goal for Mario Kart 8.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Jay70sgamer said:
Welfare said:
Jay70sgamer said:
@welfare....lol mario kart and super smash said hi.....you said by end of year xbox one should easily outsell wii u... I disagree on that ...yes titanfall is boosting xbox one at this time but once mario kart 8 arrives watch how many wii u's fly off the shelves worldwide ....I see mario kart 8 if properly advertised sell over a million software and at least 200000 to 300000 thousand console boost first week ...more than titanfall 900,000

Lol. Kinect Sports Rivals, Halo 2 Anniversary, Forza Horizon 2, $100 price drop, and new SKU's say hi. For all we know, MK8 will only sell to the ~6 million Wii U onwers that will already have one, just look at Titanfall. 900k sales week 1, but only 150k Xbox Ones were sold the same week. MK8 will have the Wii U hover around +120k for a week, then stay below 90k untill the Holidays/SSB come out.

The notion that MK8 and SSB will save the Wii U is bonkers. Did Double Dash and Melee help the Gamecube that much, a console that is tracking ahead of the Wii U launches aligned? MK8 and SSB will push some Wii U's, but will only sell to consumers that have bought a Wii U al

Do you really believe the only people that will be buying mario kart 8 are people that own the wii u already ..this is the game that people have been waiting for or  on the fence on getting a wii u and it's convenient you left out how you talk only about mario kart on GameCube and not on the wii whereas it sold 35 million copies lol and don't say because it's base for GameCube was the same as the current wii u this is the game people buy Nintendos  for  ...you will be surprised how well this game will sell systems and I'm going to say mario kart says hi ......lol and to compare  kinect sports rival ,Forza or halo anniversary to mario kart is a joke ...mario kart has sold more than all those titles combined on wii ...one game lol 35 million

comparing Wii to Wii U is pretty rediculous. Yes Mario Kart Wii sold 35 million but didnt New Super Mario Bros Wii also sell like 30 million? Look at New Super Mario Bros U sales in comparison, 4 million in about 1.5 years. Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus each sold over 20 million, Wii Fit U is less than 1 million. The Wii was a special console and it makes no sense to compare its software sales to Wii U, its a much better comparison to use Gamecube because its sales are much more in line with Wii U.

So lets look at previous console installments of Mario Kart, it sold in the 7-10 million range on SNES/N64/GC, thats a more realistic goal for Mario Kart 8.

The logic is strong with this one.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
OdinHades said:

Yes Sony would certainly make more money. MS might have benefited from the systems Titanfall sold. Also the cost of supporting servers can't be more than the cost to develop infamous. 

You have to think more literal. Titanfall sold controllers, headsets, adapters, consoles AND Xbox Live subscriptions. There's more profit than you think.

jlmurph2 said:
MoHasanie said:
OdinHades said:

You have to think more literal. Titanfall sold controllers, headsets, adapters, consoles AND Xbox Live subscriptions. There's more profit than you think.

Yes ofcourse! Didn't even think about Xbox live. Every Titanfall buyer has Gold, so that is nearly 1 million buyers who are paying for Gold just to play the game. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
jlmurph2 said:
MoHasanie said:
OdinHades said:

Yes ofcourse! Didn't even think about Xbox live. Every Titanfall buyer has Gold, so that is nearly 1 million buyers who are paying for Gold just to play the game. 

It is also worth noting that one month free subscription to Live is included with the game, which is bundled for free with the console. The pleasure of having a strong competition :)

existenz2 said:

Why havent they updated the front page on this site (again)?

VGChartz just needs to do better at updating the front page in a timely and consistent manner. I mean its the main reason its here..

Its rarely done at a consistent date/time and there is no reason for that.

They update the front page when they officially publish the HW sales for the week on the front page. And they only do that when they have at least one region's software sales ready to publish (normally USA). And they're only ready to do that when they have reasonable confidence in the SW numbers.

Personally I'd rather they change their policy to publish HW numbers as soon as they're known and not wait for SW figures to be ready. But if they did that then others would complain. It's just a shame we can't get all of the country breakdowns to discuss now, as what's happening in the UK is as interesting as what's happening in the USA / North America, and everywhere else is so dominated by PS4 that there's not much to talk about.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:
jlmurph2 said:
MoHasanie said:
Puppyroach said:
So, a 106% boost for MS in the week ending march 15th and a 66% boost for Sony in the week ending march 22nd. These games are working their magic, hopefully some momentum can be kept during summer as well.

The increase in sales can't only be attributed to these games. X1 had a price drop for the Titanfall bundle to $450 and Sony shipped lots of stock for inFamous' launch. 

The price drop didn't happen during Titanfall's 1st week though.

It happened the week before in the UK. And there was effectively a $60 price drop with TF being given away for free. If the TF bundle was $550 the boost would not have been as much as it was. Pricing was a significant factor in the TF boost, cf Infamous where the inFamous bundle which was not a free giveaway for the game but still lead to a larger numerical boost, albeit a smaller % boost.

He said specifically the $450 price drop. Not any of that other stuff.

Sure, but in the context of Puppyroach mentioning a global 106% (actually 108%) increase, not the US 118% increase, and part of that increase was because of pricing, including pricing of the TF bundle in the USA, which while the $450 price wasn't in effect, the free TF was in effect, which effectively meant people were buying Xb one for $440. Now, people in the USA are effectively buying Xb one for $390, if they get the TF, or a few other bundles.

The point he was making, it seemed to me, was that for Xb one the increased sales was partly due to pricing and partly due to TF, and for PS4 the increase is partly due to inFamous and partly due to an injection of stock into the market, and in some cases pricing. Here the inFamous bundle was very attractively priced, with Sony effectively either selling inFamous for 40% of its RRP through the bundle, or selling PS4 for $70 less than its RRP through the bundle (I saw it as getting inFamous for cheap when I handed over my credit card on Friday). Though I also saw inFamous with special pricing of $80 where the RRP is $118. So Sony was certainly trying to maximise inFamous sales with attractive pricing; here at least.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix