By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sales Discussion > Famitsu 2007-04-30/ 2007-05-06

johnsobas said:
nobody knows if Wii sold out, but I would imagine that it's pretty close to meeting the extra demand from launch. I think we will start seeing sales trends now.

John,

I respectfully disagree.  The Wii, from what it seems of the sales charts, is still supply constrained, and true demand is as of yet unknown.  That said, Nintendo has to some degree "set" a demand pattern.  By consistently shipping consoles in the numbers they are, I'm sure quite a few people have walked away from buying a Wii and may not come back to get one any time soon -- if ever.  The hardcore hunters have found theirs, but just as many have essentially given up and will "maybe" buy one when they become readily available.  Until there is a Wii on a shelf at Walmart, Target, EB/Gamestop, Toys R Us, and Best Buy 3 or 4 days out of 7 per week, we truly won't know what demand for the unit is.  By the time this happens, 9 months or more will have passed since launch and then the question will be: "I wonder what true Wii demand WAS or COULD HAVE BEEN durning that period of 9 months".  That is something we'll never know...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.