By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rebooting Star Fox Isn't Easy: An Interesting Article

Tagged games:

dont make it a fullprice game... make a 3-4h game for 30$ with mp and 2 big dlcs with 2-3h new missions after 6 months and 12 months for 20$. so they can make money while designing new levels and get people hooked for the game. a cheap game makes it easyer for people not sure about star fox to give it a try.

Around the Network

They should make a TPS MMO Star Fox game. Letting us use jets, tanks, and everything.

Honestly that is pretty crap reasoning but sadly I can see it as to why Nintendo wouldn't do it.

While Japan never warmed to Fox and his crew, at its height the western territories loved the original and Star Fox 64. A sequel that didn't try to reinvent the gameplay drastically but refined bits of it that weren't well received could easily make Nintendo enough money to justify a modest development budget and probably a decent promotional push.

Heck, Star Fox 64 3D almost sold a million despite having a gimped version of 64's multiplayer. A new Star Fox game on either the 3DS or Wii U could be very well received. But idiot and gutless business people that think, western gamers won't get over the fact that their animals or people in Japan don't like it so no one else will either, are what has kept a promising franchise from capturing more glory.

Not to mention with the rise of digital only releases there is no excuse as the franchise is popular enough that people/fans are willing to purchase digital games and the cost to stock shelves is dramatically smaller. It doesn't take that much to make a game like Star Fox or F-Zero a priority to expand your catelogue, the current leadership however prefers to play it safe and release easy to make games or sequels rather then actual development being done on something that requires more craft then interesting puzzles or graphics twists.

This article is spot on. It's a sad truth that must be acknowledged if Star Fox is to go anywhere. That said, Star Fox isn't doomed. It's been a long time since he was well known, so a branch out into new genres is less dangerous now. Star Fox Adventures was a fantastic game, as far as I'm concerned. It just wasn't what people expected of Star Fox. In fact, it's weakest parts were the space battles! The actual adventuring and exploring was on par with Zelda, and not just from stealing Zelda's health system. That game did so much right, and expanded the Star Fox universe and characters. But Star Fox 64 was still too fresh in people's minds. People who had only played Star Fox Adventures loved the game, and even some core Star Fox fans loved it. I think a reboot should borrow from that game, but also from the space battles of the original games, to create a hybrid reminiscent of Ratchet and Clank. Have the Star Fox team working as hired mercenaries, with the Great Fox acting as a base of operations. From there, they can take on a variety of missions. Some are land based, some are space based. The game would have an overarching storyline, but overall be non-linear. This set up would allow Nintendo to create a game that meets modern tastes, expands on the universe by allowing exploration of various planets in the Lylat System, and allows them to focus on creating multiple good focused experiences as opposed to packing unpolished missions that poorly combine the various gameplay elements like Assault did. The game would appeal to people of all ages, probably most popular amongst teens, and would have enough variation to appeal to fans of the niche space fighters and popular adventure games alike.

Every time they mention StarFox, I think about the possibility of give the franchise to Treasure (Sin and Punishment and Bangai-o), they are a small developers but know the genre, if Nintendo is afraid of investing big on a franchise that is not as popular they can always ask for an eShop title for 20 U$ that last 3-4 hours.

Now if they want to go big budget on it, they can look for developer on the west (I miss the developers of the Rogue Squadron games), and make it more mission based, add some strategy to the gameplay and even some RPG elements like upgrades to the weapons/ships so the game could last longer and they could charge the full 60 U$.

Around the Network

Warhawk (2007) metascore 84 (more than a million sold on PS3) and sequel Starhawk (2012) metascore 77 ( 25k sold) should probably be close to how it would look.

Warhawk, 2007, PS3, Metascore 84, 1000k sold - Starhawk, 2012, PS3, Metascore 77, 25k sold.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
I enjoyed Star Fox Assault, but it seems most fans shun this game as if it never existed. Maybe a mix of Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Assault.

Starhawk

I'd migrate it into the void left by Factor 5 and Rogue Squadron, really. Both Rogue Squadron and Star Fox were arcade space fighter shooters, but Rogue Squadron sat firmly further on the "sim" end of the spectrum (even though it's nowhere near an actual flight sim, or more sim-ish combat games like Ace Combat).

A sim-esque would allow for more complex and longer missions, possibly with RTS elements like curl-6 said.

A more complex game for the Nintendo core could be a solid million seller, and i'd argue it could sell well to the preteen market (or at least the segment of the preteen market whose parents won't let them buy Call of Duty), where you want something more badass but your parents still want you playing something kid-friendly. StarFox hits that note, but the question is how many parents don't just relent and let their preteens have the M-rated game nowadays...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

pokoko said:
Sounds like a lot of ready-made excuses, for the most part.

Make it a really good game and it will be perform well. People will be interested. Include sections reminiscent of the original but don't make that the central aspect. Combine old-school Star Fox with Animal Crossing and Mass Effect. Bingo, and you're welcome.

I mean, seriously, the Nintendo audience has been RAISED on taking a character or character set and transplanting them to another game-play experience. I don't think they'd freak out if the next Star Fox was different, as long as it was really, really good.

"Good" is certainly the operative word here. Everything after 64 was made by a less-than-ace development team. Dinosaur Planet was Rare at the beginning of their descent, Namco really didn't give their all to Assault, same with Q Entertainment and Command.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.