By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Preference - Longer or Shorter Games?

I think 25 hours is a good number to shoot for, excepting multiplayer-centric games which have almost infinite replay value. Games which exceed 25 hours usually just stretch existing content in some way to achieve it (sorry, Zelda, I love you anyway).

To Bod's question: I think I'm realizing that I prefer short session. My copy of RE4 lies uncompleted and it's mostly because I can't just pick it up and play it for an hour. I just feel a need to really get into a cinematic game like that, and the opportunities are few.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

How could anyone prefer a short game?

Certainly a long crappy game is worse than a great short one, but then a great long game is better than a great short game.

The real question should be: do you prefer long-session games or short-session? That is, do you prefer games that you only need to play 30 minutes at a time, or games that really are played better for 2+ hours at any sitting?

I perfer long games... and short sesesion gaming. Reason being... You can always paly 4 30 minute sessions in a row. While you can't play 1/4th a 2+ hour session (unless you leave your system on.)

That's what is great about games like Civ 4.  It's a game you want to play for hours... but can play for only a turn or two if that's all you have time for. 

I like longer games since I like to know whats going on in detail

^_^

rented games- short
bought games- long

I can't decide. It's kinda like when you ask a teacher how long an essay has to be, and they say "as long as it takes to get your point across." I believe that the game should be long enough to make it's point and leave it's mark on the gamer. There is no real set length for me.

In the other hand, you don't want a 2 hour game, but you get my drift. If the game engrosses you, you won't have a gripe with the length.

Around the Network

I tend not to finish many games over 20 hours, so I would say that's my best cutoff. Personally though, I don't care how long a game is, as long as it's the proper length for that game. ICO was like 6 hours and shouldn't have been a minute longer. Resident Evil 4 was like 15-20 hours for me and felt like a perfect length. As long as I don't feel like the game needed the help of a professional editor, I'm ok. Most RPGs I feel use up time just for the sake of saying they're long. I could cut out at least 10 or 20 hours out of the fat of most RPGs. I probably like the PSP so much because you can turn the console off no matter where you are in a game and just resume it where you left off, even during cutscenes. It's a great little feature that doesn't get talked about very often.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

To Bod's question: it would depend on my mood, but I think a game with short-session is better, even though when I sit down playing game, I usually am unable to stop.

One thing I dislike/hate is a game with too many cutscenes... Playing DQVIII was a chore

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

The longer the better, imo.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Griffin said:
Bodhesatva said:

How could anyone prefer a short game?

Certainly a long crappy game is worse than a great short one, but then a great long game is better than a great short game.

The real question should be: do you prefer long-session games or short-session? That is, do you prefer games that you only need to play 30 minutes at a time, or games that really are played better for 2+ hours at any sitting?

A short game is fun, sometimes i like to play through it more then once, i know i can't do that with long games like FF. Plus long games are bad for the casual gamer, they don't spend alot of time gaming and most times they don't finish games.

This misses my point though, doesn't it? You seem to dance around the distinction I'm making. 

Yes, casual players would want games they need only play for 20 minutes at a time. However, wouldn't they prefer a game they could play 20 minutes at a time for a total of 40 hours, over a game they play 20 minutes at a time for a total of 8? That's literally 96 extra play sessions to enjoy at that rate.

There's a big difference between a short game and a game that requires short game sessions. I absolutely agree that casual players would prefer the latter, but the former seems illogical.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

shorter. I just wanna play and be over with it.