By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How well have the fifth generation (psx, n64, saturn) consoles aged?

Just looking for other peoples opinions, not trying to push my own.

Personally, in retrospect, I don't care (as much) for a large percentage of the fifth generation titles. It was a very important time in gaming, but it also felt like the 3D learning curve era. 

Much like everything before the nes merely tested the waters for 2D, the 5th gen consoles did the same for 3D. Yes, I know 3D graphics existed before 1994 (when the saturn released) but this was the first time developers really got to test their chops on a home console.

It was ground breaking in terms of graphics, camera systems, CG, sound, using disks, etc (yes, I also know disks were used before the saturn too). For me though, it's hard to think of 25 games that not only were great when they came out, but also stood the test of time.

With the new sense of speed, it's hard for me to go back to (most) 5th gen racers.
With the improved camera and movement systems, it's hard for me to go back to (most of) the old platformers.
With improved AI and expanded mulitplayer options, (most) old FPS titles don't seem quite as fun.
To be honest, most pre dreamcast titles (that go for that full 3D look), feel like an eyesore. 

Anyway, I'm not saying all those old games were bad but a good number of them just don't sit as well as they used to.

To end on a positive note, here are a few games that I do still very much enjoy:
super puzzle fighter 2 turbo, crash bandicoot: warped, space station silicon valley, guardian heroes (despite the insane amount of slow-down), wave race 64, mario tennis, wrestlemania 2000, you don't know jack, castlevania: SotN

Around the Network

I know that my 64 still plays as well and is as much fun as it was the day I purchased it. So I'd say it aged well.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

well....banjo kazooie still looks amazing, and is still ridiculously fun to play. ive gotta say, ive never seen a game age as well as that has.

The fourth and fifth generation are the best, many jewels of videogames in this generations.

They still work and work well, but the analog sticks don't feel near as nice as the current generation and the graphics....."barf" I cannot believe I even could tell what was on the screen! N64 was way too blurry and PSX was a jaggy nightmare. Many of my N64 games look like someone just spilled a bunch of paint.

Around the Network

My Saturn and PSX still work great and I still play all the games I had on them. was a former N64 owner because my brother wanted it so bad he is now on his second N64 system the other one died in 2002.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

Zelda Ocarina of Time I think has aged well. The camera is a bit anoying but I busted out my n64 a month or so back and was playing it and it is every bet as fun as I remember and also Excitebike 64 was ever bit I remembered it to be also (along with the original arcade version of the game ^^)

The N64 in general has aged well. LoZ: OoT and MM, SM64, and MK64 are all still as fun as the day I got them.

I also played the original MGS over the Summer, and I enjoyed it.

It's easy for consoles to age well when their games kick ass. I loved all my PS's, Spyro, Crash (team racing could compete with Mario Kart, yeah I said it), Twisted Metal, etc.

I really love the multiplayer on LAPD: Future Cop, I still play it. Anyone remember this game?

I think that old games will "hold up" about as well as each individual wants them to. If you have great memories of something, the flaws will be overlookable, and if you don't you're going to look at it and ask yourself what you were thinking. That's human nature, though.

You do not have the right to never be offended.