By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Definative Next-Gen Level for you

dgm6780 said:
@gnizmo

since you seem confused, next gen means something new that couldnt be done before, a totally new experience.

yes next gen means Wii, Xbox360, and PS3. those are the consoles people recently bought to make the next gen leap. but technically you are right, its not "next" gen, they have reached the point where they are the current generation of systems but most people should know what was meant.

Did you think I meant next gen as in best level in a game for the Xbox720 or Wii2????

I think your definition is too limited then. The games that have helped define each generation and show what was impossible before is not possible should get as much respect as any game that is trying to help define this generation. Super Mario 64 became a standard for what a 3-D platformer should be for over a decade now and is still aging extremely well. Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 are always heralded as the pinacle of the 2-D platformer and have defined expectations for going on 20 years now. Enough of my derail though I suppose.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is a bit of a defining moment for me as well. I have never found a control scheme that feels as good as that games. Keyboard and mouse are technically better, but for a third person shooter I think the wiimote might be the way to go in the future.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy is revolutionary. It showed me how great this generation will be.

Gears Of War. It blew me away. I didn't think games could look that good.
Honorable mentions to Bioshock and Uncharted.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music
wMummelmann said:
I haven't had that "wow" moment yet to be honest. I expect MGS 4 to change that in a big way along with Gran Turismo 5 and Zeno Clash for PC.

That's basically how i feel as well.  Some Wii games have given me some "Wow that's cool" moments in how they implemented the controls and other things... but really nothing that couldn't be done.  Just stuff that wasn't.

Heh the best one though is probably the Cellphone in No More Heroes.   Talk about a way to improve immersion.

Someone earlier stated stepping out of the sewer in Oblivion... that is 100% QFT. I just sat there and stared at the scenery for a couple of minutes before i started to actually play.

Gears of War is also very "next-gen" for its stunning visuals and atmosphere. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was also amazing for the very tactile feel of controlling FP with the Wiimote. I never thought I would get that awesome feeling playing FPS/A on a console.

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network

Uncharted - It's been covered enough in this thread.
Heavenly Sword - The cutscenes, wow.
Super Mario Galaxy - The first time I got into the pill-shaped thing in the good egg galaxy, and the gravity kept reversing, causing me to switch between walking on the floor and the ceiling, I was truly amazed.

Good Egg Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy - that aerial shot of Mario flying towards this impossible land out in the vastness of space, complimented by the blaring of a full orchestrated soundtrack. It was the combination of it all that not only brought the scope of the game itself into light, as well as this generation.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"