By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Become one with Joe: a software development thread Game Jam SIGNUP!

JoeTheBro said:
Turkish said:

Thanks Joe for the encouraging words. I will learn slowly! Is there a game you are working on?

Yeah I'm making an indie game or two for the next gen consoles. Can't share anything specific about the game(s) though.

awesome, they are 3d games right?

Around the Network
Turkish said:
JoeTheBro said:
Turkish said:

Thanks Joe for the encouraging words. I will learn slowly! Is there a game you are working on?

Yeah I'm making an indie game or two for the next gen consoles. Can't share anything specific about the game(s) though.

awesome, they are 3d games right?

Yeah I'm using Unity for the most part.

think-man said:

Hows Unity? I've mucked around on it a little but nothing to write home about. A group of 5 of my friends (including me) have been looking at Unity for a while to make a game with.

I think ones opinion on Unity is defined by what engines you have used before it. People who are used to Unreal and other "big" engines will say that Unity is worse because it has less features, and afaik it's harder to mess with lower level code, or something like that... So if you're planning to make like an MMO, Unity's not the best.

But if you just want to make a "normal" 3D or 2D game Unity is perfectly fine. Now that Unity 4.3 with all the 2D extra stuff is out, like easier sprite sheets, it's much, much better to make 2D games with too, than what it was before.

And the best of all, it's free. Except that you get a watermark on finished builds, and a lot of effects are unavailable in the free version. But you can learn everything about it before you buy, so it's a great engine.

Yep.

This thread has inspired me, though. I might do that java game I once swore I would do.

the-pi-guy said:
Wright said:

This thread has inspired me, though. I might do that java game I once swore I would do.

You never answered my question!

What question?

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Wright said:
the-pi-guy said:
Wright said:

You never answered my question!

What question?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6114187

No, what I need is to learn programming on Java xD

the-pi-guy said:
Wright said:

No, what I need is to learn programming on Java xD

Well if you need any help, post it in here.  If only to boost my points.  

I misread that as boobs.

JoeTheBro said:

Also don't forget to move to Japan. You don't want to accidentally make a wrpg!

lol

Cool thread, btw.

OK I got the aide app working, but it Won't compile c++‘ just sends me into a random Tetris game XP

kekrot said:
think-man said:

Hows Unity? I've mucked around on it a little but nothing to write home about. A group of 5 of my friends (including me) have been looking at Unity for a while to make a game with.

I think ones opinion on Unity is defined by what engines you have used before it. People who are used to Unreal and other "big" engines will say that Unity is worse because it has less features, and afaik it's harder to mess with lower level code, or something like that... So if you're planning to make like an MMO, Unity's not the best.

But if you just want to make a "normal" 3D or 2D game Unity is perfectly fine. Now that Unity 4.3 with all the 2D extra stuff is out, like easier sprite sheets, it's much, much better to make 2D games with too, than what it was before.

And the best of all, it's free. Except that you get a watermark on finished builds, and a lot of effects are unavailable in the free version. But you can learn everything about it before you buy, so it's a great engine.

I think only the pro trial version has a watermark. It sticks this text in the bottom rigth corner:

Free Unity has an unskippable Unity splash screen upon booting up, but that's it.