By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the 5 free blu-ray deal end now that blu-ray won the format war?

The HD DVD is still in effect, but the free Blu Ray movies - the Amazon BOGOs, as well as the Best Buy deals are history. Last year, they kept extending both free movie deals. Right before they'd expire, another one would pop up. Why? They were trying to get folks to go one way or the other. It was all about sales.

Now - with BR on top for good, why should they just give movies away? There's no competition anymore, so to think the carrots will magically reappear is laughable.

It's like the day after the honeymoon - and you realize your spouse is a jackass. You could get a divorce, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Sony knows we have one choice - Blu - and they are grinning with Vaseline in hand ...

I got in on both deals - but I'm one of the last ones.

If it comes back, I'll gladly eat crow, but I don't see it happening anytime soon ...

Around the Network

Actually the deal is already over, so it appears your Dad missed out. They haven't renewed it as far as I can tell and it ended January 31st.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I think some sort of deal will be around as long as Blu-Ray players are so expensive. DVD players had the same kind of deal even after they evicerated DIVX.

Will these same deals extend to PS3 in the future...... Maybe not anymore. Sony will be looking for any way to keep cutting the cost.

But I wouldn't sweat it most of those movies were crap and the decent ones will have a newer special edition in a year or two.

The big difference now is prices wil come down on everything when adoption goes up.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt