By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does the PS4 have a weakness?

Only weakness are the games, but that should pick up, we all know sony will start dropping all sorts of games like they did in the PS3 era in a year or two.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Doesn't have a weakness. Also a PS1/2 emulator for PS4 is in the works. Best multiplats, strong 3rd party support, strong first parties. PS4 woud be the last console that drops off in any way.

From Sony or pirates?

PS4 has no weaknesses. PS4 will outsell XBox One and Wii U combined in total weekly sales for the rest of this generation. XBox One and Wii U have fired their best shots and have nothing left. PS4 will be a runaway express train. Nothing will stop the PS4 has it sells over 120 million+ console sales.

The PS4 looks very strong imo and has no real foreseeable weaknesses. The only weakness it has is, ironically, nothing to do with the console but with Sony itself. The weak sales of its other departments could impact on r&d, future studio acquisitions, system exclusives and advertisement expenditure. Love them or hate them, I think the gaming world needs a strong Sony (and Nintendo) to stay relevant...

g911turbo said:
vivster said:
Doesn't have a weakness. Also a PS1/2 emulator for PS4 is in the works. Best multiplats, strong 3rd party support, strong first parties. PS4 woud be the last console that drops off in any way.

From Sony or pirates?

From Sony. It was just a small rumor though from an anonymous source. Normally I don't give much on rumors but I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/28/playstation-4-rumored-to-be-getting-ps1ps2-game-emulation

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I see no weaknesses. A machine could always have another feature, but I don't think you can count that against a product. There's nothing wrong with it, apparently except that there aren't enough to buy.

Conina said:
Heavenly Sword was a great game. Most compaints were about its length (6 - 7 hours), so it was a matter of quantity, not quality.

The acting was wooden and repetitive, the sotry was drab, the gameplay was a cross between repetitive quicktime events and repetitive combat sequences.

It just wasn't a very good game. It's not a BAD game. It just didn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype.

I guarantee that the PlayStation execs are scared of the day that xbox doesn't require kinect and the whole package drops by $125, a price cut that wouldn't be hard at all. Hopefully for Sony, Nadella decides to pull the plug on the xbox.

bigjon said:

Last gen the Wii also got of to a blazing start but by year 4 it was trending way down. This is because it was much weaker and therefore when it got the big 3rd party games they were inferior for many reasons(graphically, online support, ect) my question is does the PS4 have a flaw that will eventually bring it back to the pack or will the train just keep rolling? 

Honestly to me the biggest flaws are no backwards compatibility (which WiiU has but the main competitor XB1 does not have either) and lack of 3d support. Lack of compat won't matter as much in year 3 because the PS4 library will be filling and I assume 3d support is coming. Thoughts?

Biggest flaw so far imo is a lack of good big budget software. But that obviously hasn't hurt sales yet so...

I kinda think another flaw is it's just kinda "vanilaa". nothing really makes it stand out (at least Xbox has Kinect and so forth). It's a generic console. But again, hasn't hurt sales.

3d is kinda dead, nobody cares about that. ditto backwards compatibility. dont expect to see bc in a non-nintendo console ever again (probably not in a nintendo home console ever again either). it's just not technically feasible at a reasonable cost anymore. in fact i argue bc is precisely why the wii u is so underpowered. in ps2 days, it was fairly easy to put a whole ps1 chip in the ps2. now, it would be way to expensive to put a whole ps3 chip in a ps4. besides the added heat and power draw.

Only one weakness I can think of, but it's a major one: Titanfall.