By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to see 10% boost in PS3 sales

DMeisterJ said:
@ Elnino

LOL. I've been posting a lot today.

I agree, but if you've seen te recent threads about HD-DVD losing out, they get ugly, and they get ugly fast. I just wanted you to know that.

Thanks for letting me know since I don't read those threads.  My focus is gaming and this seems like a nice boost to the PS3 though by how much is anyones guess.

Around the Network

I predict a larger than 10 percent. In a year PS3 will be one of the cheapest Blu Ray players that will offer the most to the consumers.

Retrasado said:

Edit: forget it. these are the same people who believed that Sony would roll out the PS4 in August, 08

is that a stab at me....b/c that would be just plain silly for sony to do that---and if you bargin hunt you can get them cheap--and seeing as the boost to Blu is going to come from fence sitters and HD Converters they are going to be looking for the player and not a game system

mesoteto said:
Retrasado said:

Edit: forget it. these are the same people who believed that Sony would roll out the PS4 in August, 08

is that a stab at me....b/c that would be just plain silly for sony to do that---and if you bargin hunt you can get them cheap--and seeing as the boost to Blu is going to come from fence sitters and HD Converters they are going to be looking for the player and not a game system

how do you preciously know this?

" ebay.....or google shopping search..not to mentio"

ok let me rephrase it for people who are a littlebit slow on the uptick.

THERE IS NO BLURAY PLAYER that is significantly cheaper than the PS3 at least no one with the same BluRay profile support.

Around the Network

Downloads ARE chewing into the DVD market it shrunk 3% this year - Next year it may be another 3-5% . Downloading will take 5 years to eat away even half the DVD market.
Blu-Ray disk with the AVC and VC-1 codecs cant be compressed any further without a huge loss of quality. This means retail/hire and the optical disk production/distribuition business which exist will be around for at least another 10 years.
Yes downloading inferior copies of movies will be common by 2020 (assuming terminator type robots dont take over the world ) but optical disk will probably still dominate past 2020 by offering features like Stereo Vision or 1080p60 using 100-120Gb 4 layer blue ray (which the PS3 can in theory handle and display over HDMI ). Optical Disks have A nice cover and the fact that they dont head crash or suffer failure like Hard Drives makes them very convenient.

Note Xbox360 needs both Hard-drive addon and cheap broadband to download content. The PS3 is equiped standard with gigabit ethernet/Wi Fi wireless AND built in hard drive too, and i suspect pay per download viewing will be available for PS3 in some regions also like the Xbox.
MS would definatly miss out on some sales if they dont eventually bring out a Blu-Disk add on so i think they will by 2009.

PS3 number 1 fan

Troll_Monster said:
mesoteto said:
Retrasado said:

how do you preciously know this?

its my opinion---when i look at the facts this is how i see it---people that wanted to buy a PS3 are already going to get it or have....just b/c Blu beat HD there not going to say , welll time to get on board....

And the people that were waiting on the fence for a format to win arent going to go out and buy things that dont want or need...they will just go and barging shop for a Blu player b/c that s what they are interested in

And the converts from HD over to Blu , proably arent keen on the idea of having to fork over another chunk of change to get another player--so once again you will get teh bargin shopper that want a player not a game machine

@Kyros--not a brand new one , but a good quality used one can be a few hundred cheaper and if the person is only searching for a player they will over look the PS3

but since it wasnt understood before--this is just my Opinion--the Death of HD will equal to mabye a 2-3 percet increase in Ps3 Sales--and with that small of number it will be hard to track 

" @Kyros--not a brand new one , but a good quality used one can be a few hundred cheaper and if the person is only searching for a player they will over look the PS3"

a few hundred cheaper? I think you should first make some research and refrain from simply stating your (wrong) thoughts as fact. The cheapest players on amazon.com are starting at 280. (Apparently with 30 seconds loading time). Used start from 250$.
There are some reasons for buying a standalone player (fits better in the media center, dedicated to movie playing ...) But the price is no argument.

"this is just my Opinion--the Death of HD will equal to mabye a 2-3 percet increase in Ps3 Sales--and with that small of number it will be hard to track "

Exactly this is your opinion and thats fine. But if you think, that the BR sales won't increase markedly due to the death of HD-DVD, why don't you say so. Why do you invent a 2-3% number that has nothing to do with reality? Inventing numbers is a big sport around here I know but come on. 

^mabye you should search

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=blu+ray+player&hl=en&cid=4653601058976884761

this took me a mintue to find
http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3233325&Sku=S223-1262&SRCCODE=COMPGOOBDF&CMP=OTC-GPRODUCTS
thats just one--but there is half a dozen that are a few hundred less......and thats just from one search so i am not seeing your point

I reckon we will see a larger increase than just 10%, although we will not be able to gauge this, as sales of the PS3 will increase over time once the bigger games start hitting.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)