By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Stephen Elop May be Bad News for Microsoft’s Xbox Division

HylianSwordsman said:
kowenicki said:
How many threads do we need on this? This must be over ten over the last few months now.

Its frankly pretty pathetic and sad that certain users feel the need to keep on posting this nonsense.

I'd like it to be a bannable offense to simply post news items with zero comment from the OP.

I'd second that. The forum doesn't exist to be a news site, it exists for discussion. Rather than just quote the entire article and say nothing else, it should have a link to the article, and a few comments on it, possibly a smaller quote from the article as reference to what the OP is commenting on specifically.

how about no? many people come to this site for news, its much more convenient, just go to one forum to check the news instead of having to go to many other sites to do so. it also happens to be much faster. 

also, what should the ban message say? "banned for reporting some news, you either shut up and dont report it, or we will ban the hell out of you until you speak what you think. if we dont like it, we'll ban you"

sounds like a very intelligent idea. 

Around the Network

bumping the thread

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Movement at Microsoft to make room for Elop has already happened..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/25/julie_larson_green_makes_way_stephen_elop_microsoft/

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Fusioncode said:
bananaking21 said:
Mr Khan said:
kowenicki said:
How many threads do we need on this? This must be over ten over the last few months now.

Its frankly pretty pathetic and sad that certain users feel the need to keep on posting this nonsense.

I'd like it to be a bannable offense to simply post news items with zero comment from the OP.

We'd lose quite a few people that way.

...might not be a bad idea...

really? so posting news should be bannable? because thats what the suggestion really is.

Only posting news that Kowenicki doesn't like. It's perfectly fine for him to post dozens of articles about Sony's financial status. 

So long as it was applied fairly across the board to everyone, it wouldn't be so bad though, right? Think about it, every fandom gets doom threads thrown at it that are nothing but a quote of an entire news article, with no comment from the OP. It's bullshit. If it's that newsworthy, it'll end up on the site anyway on the main page, either as one of the site's articles or as an N4G link. If it really warrents discussion, then god damn it the thread author should have to contribute to the discussion, not just spread what is often worthless clickbait articles. Bad news is one thing, and if bad news happens it needs to be known, but a forum is a place for discussion, not just a place to get your news. I find it really annoying the amount of clickbait news threads with an inflammatory headline that come through, only for the OP to not have anything but a big quote of the article so that the author can just fap to fanboy tears. It's flamebaiting no matter what company it's directed at. When an OP instead has a link to the article, with the author's thoughts on it, and maybe a few relevant smaller quotes, I don't mind as much, even when it's Nintendoom.

bananaking21 said:
HylianSwordsman said:
kowenicki said:

I'd second that. The forum doesn't exist to be a news site, it exists for discussion. Rather than just quote the entire article and say nothing else, it should have a link to the article, and a few comments on it, possibly a smaller quote from the article as reference to what the OP is commenting on specifically.

how about no? many people come to this site for news, its much more convenient, just go to one forum to check the news instead of having to go to many other sites to do so. it also happens to be much faster. 

also, what should the ban message say? "banned for reporting some news, you either shut up and dont report it, or we will ban the hell out of you until you speak what you think. if we dont like it, we'll ban you"

See my response to Fusioncode. I see the potential for abuse, but the idea isn't just to ban news, but to ban news that's nothing but clickbait with inflammatory titles to fap to fanboy tears. I know I at least find it slightly less annoying when a Nintendoom clickbait article isn't just a quote of the article, but actually has the authors thoughts on the article instead. Such threads are rare, but they shouldn't be. If you're gonna post in a forum, it should be to promote discussion, not just to create another outlet for news. But if you really want to see news in the forum, then I think it's reasonable to just have it as a link in the OP instead of a quote of the article with no other thoughts. I do understand your point though. I too like to see news on the site, but I tend to find it on the main page, or in an official thread for news that has a bunch of relevant news links.

Around the Network

I'm much more interested in what his business philosophies are. No one sane is going to look at his past actions and think he'd purposely kill XBOX, but we should be able to look at his past actions and see how he tried to handle saving Nokia. Is he going to push for the same strategies, or maybe take a different approach since last time it didn't work?

Those are better things to think about.

I think Stephen is going to win the hearts of many share-holders by selling MicroSofts IP's like Halo, Fable, Gears of War etc. to Sony's PlayStation Now for a nice figure and end the XBox adventure with this generation.
Stock will rise the coming years, he will a receive nice bonus of 8 figures, and a clean and comfy office at Sony's US HQ in 2018.

And the fans will be enjoying Titanfall 3 and Halo 7 on their Bravia TV's and lagecy XBox controllers :)

HylianSwordsman said:
bananaking21 said:
HylianSwordsman said:
kowenicki said:

See my response to Fusioncode. I see the potential for abuse, but the idea isn't just to ban news, but to ban news that's nothing but clickbait with inflammatory titles to fap to fanboy tears. I know I at least find it slightly less annoying when a Nintendoom clickbait article isn't just a quote of the article, but actually has the authors thoughts on the article instead. Such threads are rare, but they shouldn't be. If you're gonna post in a forum, it should be to promote discussion, not just to create another outlet for news. But if you really want to see news in the forum, then I think it's reasonable to just have it as a link in the OP instead of a quote of the article with no other thoughts. I do understand your point though. I too like to see news on the site, but I tend to find it on the main page, or in an official thread for news that has a bunch of relevant news links.

posting an epmty OP with just a link is actually bannable, since its considered spam. 

i get your point, but it really cant be done in a fair way. what your saying is ban people who post news or articles that is flaim bait. but really, unless the author admits the only reason he posted it was to bait people, then he can always just hide behind the excuse "i was just posting the news/article!". unless its really obvious the thread is flaimbaite and the news isnt genuine, mods most likely wont do anything about it, if thread gets out of control, they lock it. but they cant just go around guessing which one is intended to be flaimbate or not, they will be wrong many times and it wont be fair and the rules wont be clear. 

pokoko said:
One horizontal stroke away from Flop, huh?

We shall see. I think the fear is that Elop has been put in charge in order to whip the Xbox division into a salable state. If the goal really is liquification, it will be apparent soon enough. No need to jump the gun with assumptions at this point. Because he was hired to kill a business before does not mean that's all he can accomplish.

As someone who has lived through what Elop is rumored to be getting ready to do you are correct it wont take long before we start to see the signs that indicate the sale of the Xbox brand. The division I worked in went from World class (Man in charge of division loved what we did) to closing the doors in a year and a half(new person in charge who never liked what we did).

Willem said:
I think Stephen is going to win the hearts of many share-holders by selling MicroSofts IP's like Halo, Fable, Gears of War etc. to Sony's PlayStation Now for a nice figure and end the XBox adventure with this generation.
Stock will rise the coming years, he will a receive nice bonus of 8 figures, and a clean and comfy office at Sony's US HQ in 2018.

And the fans will be enjoying Titanfall 3 and Halo 7 on their Bravia TV's and lagecy XBox controllers :)

The point is he doesn't even have any power to do that,in fact if he can't do a good job in current position,he will be fired before anything happened.

Also did you even check the MS stock right now?