By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U's eDRAM stronger than given credit?

Cut the damn quote trees guys! ¬_¬

Around the Network
starworld said:

want a source?

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1999044/wii_u_is_a_truly_powerful_console_more_powerful_than_360_and_ps3_trine_2_dev.html

"

'Wii U Is A Truly Powerful Console, More Powerful Than 360 And PS3' - Trine 2 Dev

Ryan King

"The Wii U is a very modern console with a lot of RAM, which helped us out a lot during development."

Published on Jul 10, 2013

Wii U 'is truly a powerful console' and 'more powerful than 360 and PS3' says a member of the Trine 2 dev team.

Julius Fondem, Marketing Manager at Frozenbyte, was talking to GamersXtreme about the power of the Wii U following the release of launch title Trine 2: Director's Cut and with upcoming title Splot on the horizon for the console.

"We have really enjoyed working with the Wii U hardware," said Fondem.

"It was rather easy to port our modern proprietary engine to it, and it does pack the punch to bring to life some really awesome visuals. The Wii U is a very modern console with a lot of RAM which helped us out a lot during development. The hardware capabilities have improved quite a lot from the original Wii, and the Wii U is a truly powerful console. The console is definitely more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3."

"

and i have more under the pocket

i dont see your point, thats just a rumor, has noyhing to support it

whats not a rumor is that wii u ports are lazy and dont utilize the wii u new capabilities and force the system into using the same tricks used in 360, eventhough the 360 has more powerful cpu and developers dont use the gpu new features like compute shaders to aliviate that, and you still have the game running almust identical to the other hd console counterparts. In order to match the other hd consoles with just 176gigaflosos you need a ground up game, but a port as lazy as the ones we have seen then no, impossible

as i asked you

would the last of us game for ps3 work on the xbox 360 if it was a quick port?

ok so he says the console is more powerful but he doesn't go into detail at all, even i can clearly see that over all the wiiu is a more powerful console because it had double the ram and 2x more edram then360, even if the gpu is in the same ball park as 360/ps3, you can clealy see its still a more powerful console, gimmi a source where it supports your claim about wiiu gpu having 400-500 gflops. and my souce is not a rumor its a direct quote from a wiiu developer.

ýou domnt have to go into detail to undesrtand the simple thing

ports on wii u wouldnt even work with a hardware of just 176Gflops, only ground up agmes but not ports, i dont see why you have such a hard time with that. No matter how modern the piece of hardware is, if you are porting from an old harware and dont optimize the code for the new platform then of course the new harwdare is going to struggle

hell, we have many examples

for instance3

which is more powerful ps3 or ps4?

how many times is ps4 more powerful than ps3?

then if ps4 is more powerful than ps3 by a lot then why it struggles with 1080p 60fps?

why the assesins creed 4 for ps4 is only 1080p 30fps when should be more than capable for 1080p60fps both by numbers and the fact that is more moedern and also easy to develop for?

int 1080p30fps about 2x the 720p30fps?

isnt ps4 about 4 to 5 times stronger than ps3 in gigaflops?

isnt ps4 more modern hardware?

so, why do you think wii u at 176gflops would be enough for a port like assesins creed 3 o 4 to even work?

my sources aint a rumor too, they come from developers:

shinen

trine 2

etc

so, why do you think wii u at 176gflops would be enough for a port like assesins creed 3 o 4 to even work?

shinen

trine 2

etc

because a developer said so, and ypou continue to say its a rumor, when it's not and here is more sources

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-26-darksiders-2-dev-wii-u-hardware-on-par-with-current-gen

Darksiders 2 dev

"So far the hardware's been on par with what we have with the current generations. Based on what I understand, the resolution and textures and polycounts and all that stuff, we're not going to being doing anything to up-rez the game, but we'll take advantage of the controller for sure."

Black Forest Games DEV

""Overall the hardware itself is slightly faster than the other current-gen consoles. 

"Then we started working on the port, we already had our game released on the X360, and going from a console release to Wii U is easier since the consoles have very similar performance characteristics"

starworld said:

shinen

trine 2

etc

because a developer said so, and ypou continue to say its a rumor, when it's not and here is more sources

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-26-darksiders-2-dev-wii-u-hardware-on-par-with-current-gen

Darksiders 2 dev

"So far the hardware's been on par with what we have with the current generations. Based on what I understand, the resolution and textures and polycounts and all that stuff, we're not going to being doing anything to up-rez the game, but we'll take advantage of the controller for sure."

Black Forest Games DEV

""Overall the hardware itself is slightly faster than the other current-gen consoles. 

"Then we started working on the port, we already had our game released on the X360, and going from a console release to Wii U is easier since the consoles have very similar performance characteristics"

my posts dont tell the contrary, and stop avoiding

i can play that game too, i ahve sources that say that wii u is more powerful and explicitly talk about power

tell me, why ps4 struggles to do 1080p 60fps if its a lot times stronger and modern than ps3 and xbox 360

compared to 360 is about 7x they say and that just un raw numbers, the system is more modern too and easier to develop for thanks to the x86 architecture

then why it struggles to perform something that would require about 3 to 4x more power when it has 7x more power?

why if the gpu and other parts are more modern and on top of that you dont have to deal with edram just gddr5 main ram

seriosuly, if that happens then why would be differnt with wii u?

what so special on wii u to do magic with just 176gigaflops to have a port from assesins creed 3 or 4 running perfectly well wwhile 360 and ps3 are more powerful?

dont avoid it

I hope this thread doesn't turn into the one I made that got locked after almost 90 pages, hahaha

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network
tanok said:
starworld said:

shinen

trine 2

etc

Darksiders 2 dev

Black Forest Games DEV

i can play that game too, i ahve sources that say that wii u is more powerful and explicitly talk about power

tell me, why ps4 struggles to do 1080p 60fps if its a lot times stronger and modern than ps3 and xbox 360

compared to 360 is about 7x they say and that just un raw numbers, the system is more modern too and easier to develop for thanks to the x86 architecture

then why it struggles to perform something that would require about 3 to 4x more power when it has 7x more power?

why if the gpu and other parts are more modern and on top of that you dont have to deal with edram just gddr5 main ram

what so special on wii u to do magic with just 176gigaflops to have a port from assesins creed 3 or 4 running perfectly well wwhile 360 and ps3 are more powerful?

dont avoid it

ps4 doesnt struggle to do 360/ps3 games at 1080/60fps here is a list for you

BF4 900p vs 60fps huge graphics upgrades

ac4/30fps huge graphical up grades but it was a lazy port, multiplayer runs 60fps.

TRine 2 with 3d support and many graphicalu upgrades

tombraider is 60fps/1080 with many graphica upgrades

MGS zero 1080/60 fps with many graphical upgrades

starworld said:
tanok said:
starworld said:

shinen

trine 2

etc

Darksiders 2 dev

Black Forest Games DEV

dont avoid it

ac4/30fps huge graphical up grades but it was a lazy port, multiplayer runs 60fps.

yea, 900p 60fps, wow

no to mention that assesins creed 4 was running at 900p 30fps for ps4 and later had to be patched

that still proves that even if ps4 is 7x more powerfu than xbox 360 and many generations ahead in hardware, ports will always make the new system wich is ported to to struggle, so indeed you require more power to even run the same game 

the same applies for wii u, you cant magically make a port run on your system no matter how modern and efficent is with less power from the system is being ported from

whicjh mens wii u has to be more powerful tha 360 to even run its ports, at least twice as much

those are facts and proven by games, not just comments, reality is infront of us

seriosly dude, no one except you argue about wii u being less powerful than previou generation consoles, must people out there will tell you the contrary, both normal people, developers and so on

you cant run a game porting it to a new system if the other system is weaker, no matter if the new parts are modern or wahtever that is nulled the moment you port cause the other harwdare will tell to the new harwdare to do the stuff the way he knows how to do the stuff

i dont see the point of arguing that, wii u is mre powerful than 360 and ps3, there is no doubt ablut it and yes i am talking about giglaflops. So what?

wii u is still behid the xbox one for a bit more than 2x and like 3.5x to 4x to the ps4

sisnt that enough for you?

why you want to mae the wii u look weaker than that? and i forgot

here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps4-ac4-patch-analysed-in-depth

"

Ubisoft recently revealed that the PS4 version of Assassin's Creed 4 would gain an update shortly after the game's release, bumping up the rendering resolution from 900p to 1080p, along with some improved visual effects and a new anti-aliasing solution, with all of this possible via further optimisation work carried out after core development was completed. With the patch now available in the US, are we looking at a noticeable upgrade in visual quality, or a more modest refinement to the original, unpatched presentation?

We kick off with a 1080p head-to-head video showcasing a number of clips from the first hour of the game. On first impressions, the differences between running the game upscaled from 900p and natively in 1080p are actually quite subtle: there's a slight but noticeable boost in sharpness, and images appear a little more crisp, but nothing that immediately grabs you as amounting to anything approaching a sensational upgrade. The original 900p framebuffer is actually upscaled well to 1080p without introducing much in the way of unwanted artefacts, and the anti-aliasing solution in both versions helps to give the game a smooth appearance.

The fact that we aren't seeing any hiccups in smoothness is also rather interesting: it makes you wonder, if Ubisoft are hitting 30fps on such a consistent basis, just how fast would the game actually run on the PS4 hardware if it were not for the frame-rate cap? Sadly, this is something we're unlikely ever to find out, with the upcoming PC version looking like the only one capable of delivering a 60fps update while running at high definition resolutions.

"

want more?

here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Uza8TUbQU

wow

a system that is more than 7x more powerful than xbox 360 cant hit the 1080p 60fps, only 900p30fps and later 1080p30fps thanks to optimizations

and xbox 360 is 720p 30fps

what the hell?

1080p60fps would require only about 3 to 3.5x more power han the xbox 360 to do 1080p and 60fps, yet it even struggled at first to even do 1080p30fps and was only 900p30fps

do ports really hurt this much?

has wii u some kind of magic to run 360 games almost identical or sometimes better with less power when ps4 modern architecture, easier system to develop for, no edram complications and on top of that using x86 to even run those games?

seriosuly, you sound like a nintendo fanboy in some kind of way

there aint any magic, wii u is just more powerful thats why even ports made quicky and effortlessly work and run on the system

tanok said:
starworld said:
tanok said:
starworld said:

shinen

trine 2

etc

Darksiders 2 dev

Black Forest Games DEV

dont avoid it

yea, 900p 60fps, wow

no to mention that assesins creed 4 was running at 900p 30fps for ps4 and later had to be patched

that still proves that even if ps4 is 7x more powerfu than xbox 360 and many generations ahead in hardware, ports will always make the new system wich is ported to to struggle, so indeed you require more power to even run the same game 

the same applies for wii u, you cant magically make a port run on your system no matter how modern and efficent is with less power from the system is being ported from

whicjh mens wii u has to be more powerful tha 360 to even run its ports, at least twice as much

those are facts and proven by games, not just comments, reality is infront of us

you fail to realise these are launch ports, and and already showing 5x jump, BATTLE FIELD 4 is sub hd on 360/ps3 and the you have many graphical upgrades better textures, lighting,  effects ,more players/enemies, better everything while most wiiu port are not getting any upgrades and are running much worse.

I can't believe this far in, there are still people stupid enough to believe the wii u is powerful hardware.

I haven't read every post but haven't seen the wii u memory bandwidth of 12.6 GB/s mentioned at all. This is less than ps3 and 360. No matter how fast esram etc is, you still have to work with main memory which is pitifully low bandwidth in wii u.

Lets not also forget the wii u is useful a power hungry 40/45nm fabrication process but uses only a tiny amount of power.

Lets also factor in most wii u games are inferior to versions released on 360 and PS3.

As a wii u owner who can clearly see the weak performance of the wii u it staggers the mind that anyone would be stupid enough to compare the wii u to ps4 or xbone. It's struggling to even match 360 and PS3.

The wii u is powerful enough for the first party games with cartoon graphics that will make up 99% of its desirable games.

Currently the ps3 and 360 have a far larger range of technically impressive games than wii u.

The Wii U is capable of 16K at 240fps using every possible graphics rendering trick and can do it all in 22.2 surround sound.