By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Xbox One buyers REALLY paying $100 more for weaker hardware?

fps_d0minat0r said:

For many people, it is worth nothing.

Sure it costs MS money, but if consumers dont value the features, they don't see any 'worth' in it.

HDMI pass through might be awesome for you, but who ever claimed to hate switching between HDMI inputs on their tv? its a really minor problem that they unnecessarily decided every xbox owner should have a solution to.

Anyway, if they did enough research on TV, they would realise more and more people are watching their TV online so instead of offering people to connect their other devices to Xbox, they should have encouraged people watch their TV shows on the xbox itself, by offering all third party services apps (without the need for XBL).

I never complained about having to turn a key to unlock my car or  being able to start it without actually being in it.  Then I got a car with remote start and automatic door unlock.  Lo and behold, it was a great feature and I use it all the time.  Being able to just say "Xbox, watch TV" and then have my TV turn on, my satellite box turn on, and then just say "Watch TBS" and the TV turn there automatically--it's a good thing.  Yeah, we're gamers and games come first and foremost.  In the months and years to come, I think Sony will win in that regard.  I'm just being honest.  I'll also be honest when I say absolutely nothing I've seen so far from either the Xbox One or PS4 (as far as games go) have actually impressed me.  The generation has just started so that's to be expected.

When I picked up my copies of MGSV: GZ and Final Fantasy X/X2, the lady gave me a list of the upcoming PS4, Vita, and Xbone games.  I sadly say, I wasn't impressed by anything on any of them.  I pre-ordered inFamous: SS but I think I'm going to be disappointed for most of this gen.  Hope I'm wrong.  It may very well be the things that consoles do outside of gaming that wins over the public.  I mean, the ability to play DVDs was HUGE for the PS2 and Netflix a year before the Wii and PS3 was huge for the 360.  That's my take, anyway.

Around the Network

Surprised this thread came back but while it's here I just want to say one more thing:

I'm okay with people liking Sony more than Nintendo or Microsoft. That's totally your right. I'm okay with people hating Microsoft as well. Truth be told, if one company had to leave the industry for good, I'd be totally fine with Microsoft leaving it to Nintendo and Sony. I just see so much anti-Microsoft sentiment so I try to present a different point of view. A little balance, if you will.  I don't purposely set out to bash Sony (and hopefully I don't bash them at all). I've been a Sony fan since I got my PS1 back in early 1997. Sony is awesome. I've never missed a console.  But the other companies may be awesome in their own way if you come at them with an open mind.

Now sucketh mah balls!!

Ostro said:

Addition to OP:
MS also went with a consistent design (console, power brick, cables,...) which is what only Nintendo has done before I think. I like that because it adds some sense of quality (note: not saying it IS better, it just makes people think that, that's the way brands work, you know) when it's not just some ordinary accessory. Not sure if Sony has finally done that as well but I guess not, based on OP.

Yet another post that baffles me.

What on earth does that mean!? Sony didn't go with a consistent design!? W  U  T

d21lewis said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

For many people, it is worth nothing.

Sure it costs MS money, but if consumers dont value the features, they don't see any 'worth' in it.

HDMI pass through might be awesome for you, but who ever claimed to hate switching between HDMI inputs on their tv? its a really minor problem that they unnecessarily decided every xbox owner should have a solution to.

Anyway, if they did enough research on TV, they would realise more and more people are watching their TV online so instead of offering people to connect their other devices to Xbox, they should have encouraged people watch their TV shows on the xbox itself, by offering all third party services apps (without the need for XBL).

I never complained about having to turn a key to unlock my car or  being able to start it without actually being in it.  Then I got a car with remote start and automatic door unlock.  Lo and behold, it was a great feature and I use it all the time.  Being able to just say "Xbox, watch TV" and then have my TV turn on, my satellite box turn on, and then just say "Watch TBS" and the TV turn there automatically--it's a good thing.  Yeah, we're gamers and games come first and foremost.  In the months and years to come, I think Sony will win in that regard.  I'm just being honest.  I'll also be honest when I say absolutely nothing I've seen so far from either the Xbox One or PS4 (as far as games go) have actually impressed me.  The generation has just started so that's to be expected.

When I picked up my copies of MGSV: GZ and Final Fantasy X/X2, the lady gave me a list of the upcoming PS4, Vita, and Xbone games.  I sadly say, I wasn't impressed by anything on any of them.  I pre-ordered inFamous: SS but I think I'm going to be disappointed for most of this gen.  Hope I'm wrong.  It may very well be the things that consoles do outside of gaming that wins over the public.  I mean, the ability to play DVDs was HUGE for the PS2 and Netflix a year before the Wii and PS3 was huge for the 360.  That's my take, anyway.

Actually lots of people did complain about keys to unlock cars because they became way to easy to steal. The computerised remote locking systems were more to do with security than luxury. While I believe its possible to hack these, its way harder than breaking into a car that uses keys to open the doors.

For the same reason, you still need to inset a key in most cars to start the engine despite it being more convenient to just press a button or voice recognition (though some cars combine both, allowing you to use a button to start and stop the engine after the key is inserted).

Anyway, thats not relevant since in either case, the manufacturer is improving the car for its own purpose.

MS adding HDMI in is doing other devices a favour and taking on a job that can be done by the TV.

I bet if we both sat side by side in front of seperate TV's, I could switch HDMI inputs faster with a remote than you could using kinect. The truth is most people dont just switch once, they like 'flicking through'.

fps_d0minat0r said:

I bet if we both sat side by side in front of seperate TV's, I could switch HDMI inputs faster with a remote than you could using kinect. The truth is most people dont just switch once, they like 'flicking through'.

I bet that if we sat side by side in front of seperate TV's, I'd win you over with my amazing charm.

Around the Network
Ostro said:

Addition to OP:
MS also went with a consistent design (console, power brick, cables,...) which is what only Nintendo has done before I think. I like that because it adds some sense of quality (note: not saying it IS better, it just makes people think that, that's the way brands work, you know) when it's not just some ordinary accessory. Not sure if Sony has finally done that as well but I guess not, based on OP.

Kinect is the best way to go to justify the $100. It's really good (even Kinect 1 was) but only something awesome if you want it I think. Not sure about external HDDs but I think that's going to be the better option on Xbox? Not up to date but I read stuff about Sony not offering that or only their own HDDs (and I instantly remembered memory for the Vita).

One of the thing I can't really understand in MS strategy is the lack of a Kinect super hype game. The way wii sport was : very accessible, bundled, and fitting with the remote gameplay (I don't like the game or even wiimote but that's not the point). Definitely, it makes it a lot harder to justify the 100$ difference without it. Or perhaps they didn't have it in time, or perhaps they hoped that just for the interface it would get lot of hype ?

Norris2k said:

One of the thing I can't really understand in MS strategy is the lack of a Kinect super hype game. The way wii sport was : very accessible, bundled, and fitting with the remote gameplay (I don't like the game or even wiimote but that's not the point). Definitely, it makes it a lot harder to justify the 100$ difference without it. Or perhaps they didn't have it in time, or perhaps they hoped that just for the interface it would get lot of hype ?

Boggles my mind, too.  The thing seems to work pretty well.  Why they didn't have a showcase title at launch makes no sense to me.  Hell, they should have packed it in as a free download to get people that were on the fence hooked.  Dumb move, in my opinion.  As good as Kinect Sports Rival may or may not be, a lot of people will never even give it a try because of the hurdle M$ created.

My PS4 came with a free month of PSN Plus, some music service AND $10 to spend on the PSN store.

The PS4 headset works fine for me and all that extra stuff you've mentioned is superfluous, including Kinect, so it doesn't add any VALUE as far as I'm concerned.

If I had to choose between buying two same sized TVs - one with superior picture quality and the other with a fancier remote that takes voice commands and has a power outlet that allows me to plug in things like video game consoles directly into the TV instead of the wall - I'll go with the superior picture quality. While a fancy remote and being able to plug my console directly into the TV instead of the wall is cool, the most important thing about a TV is the quality of how things look on the TV, not superfluous bells and whistles.

Same goes for my consoles, I buy a console to play games, not plug a cable box into it or voice command the dashboard.

Although if Sony was smart they'd add a microphone to that speaker in the middle of the controller and for $3 extra dollars in manufacturing costs they would have matched Kinect's most used and useful feature, voice control.

d21lewis said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

I bet that if we sat side by side in front of seperate TV's, I'd win you over with my amazing charm.

lol

Boggles me how people think people who preferred the X1 got 'tricked' or something. I am sorry, I know what I did. I made my purchasing decision and am totally happy with it. Deal with it.

And when Amazon launches its streaming, chromecast sized dongle in a couple months and all you have to pay are subscription fees to their streaming service that provides graphics far beyond what PS4 can do, and you are differentiating on the basis of graphics quality alone, I promise not to rub your faces in it the way you seem to be unable to stop yourselves from doing to X1 owners.

People with jobs aren't entirely stymied by a $100 price difference.