By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Amazon interesting in buying the Xbox Brand from MS

Good idea?

For Amazon 4 30.77%

For MS 2 15.38%

For Sony 1 7.69%

For Me 0 0%

For You 0 0%

Click here to Win! 4 30.77%

Total:11

Is Amazon About to Buy Microsoft's Xbox Business?

According to insider Pete Dodd, talk of Amazon buying the Xbox brand has been quietly swirling. Dodd has been ahead of the curve on big stories before, but it's important to remember that there is very little information to substantiate these rumblings. Other rumors suggest that Amazon will be launching its own Android-based console and media box sometime in 2014.

There are rumblings within the company to do this (to be fair, investors are ALWAYS talking about getting rid of parts of a business that are still in the hole)

Around the Network

There is a thread I started about this somewhere

The PS5 Exists. 

Amazon Home Console Will Launch in March – Sources

SHARE:

Adjust text size:  

- Console ready
The much rumored Amazon home console is now expected to be officially revealed and launch at some point during March of this year, allowing gamers to stream video content on their TV sets and to get access to a variety of gaming applications.

Sources are telling Recode that the device is designed to compete directly with the Xbox One from Microsoft and the PlayStation 4 from Sony.

It will be powered by the Android operating system, as the Ouya is, and the price is expected to be smaller than 300 dollars or Euro.

Amazon will probably use a strategy similar to that for the Kindle, which means that it will be willing to sell the actual hardware at cost or even take a loss in order to create a large customer base that will then offer a solid, long term revenue stream for the company.

GribbleGrunger said:
I posted this over a week ago.

This article was posted about an hour ago?  Throw me a link and  Ill add it to your discussion and request a lock.

Ssenkahdavic said:
GribbleGrunger said:

This article was posted about an hour ago?  Throw me a link and  Ill add it to your discussion and request a lock.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=178393&page=1#38

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

Amazon Home Console Will Launch in March – Sources

SHARE:

Adjust text size:  

- Console ready
The much rumored Amazon home console is now expected to be officially revealed and launch at some point during March of this year, allowing gamers to stream video content on their TV sets and to get access to a variety of gaming applications.

Sources are telling Recode that the device is designed to compete directly with the Xbox One from Microsoft and the PlayStation 4 from Sony.

It will be powered by the Android operating system, as the Ouya is, and the price is expected to be smaller than 300 dollars or Euro.

Amazon will probably use a strategy similar to that for the Kindle, which means that it will be willing to sell the actual hardware at cost or even take a loss in order to create a large customer base that will then offer a solid, long term revenue stream for the company.

Atleast read the article?

What does it all mean?
If a sale of the Xbox division occurs, don't expect it within the next several years. All signs point to Amazon releasing its own hardware this year, and Microsoft is in a position that necessitates shoring up the stability of the Xbox brand before looking for a buyer. Of course, it's possible that Amazon initiated some low-ball soft offers in hopes of opening a dialogue and getting a better idea of how Microsoft values its gaming business. Either way, expect Amazon and Microsoft to be competitors in the gaming space before the year's end.

Ssenkahdavic said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Thread from last week

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=178393&page=1#59

melbye said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Thread from last week

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=178393&page=1#59

Fair enough.  Ill get it locked.

Odd i couldnt find your article through a search.

Locking duplicate thread

Sounds like BS to me. Microsoft is fully invested in Xbox. They pour money into the brand like its nothing. $400 million NFL deals, $100 million for rights to Gears of War, over 1 billion in exclusive game development for Xbox One, exclusivity contracts for Titanfall and early DLC for most games, $100 million to create the XB1 controller, etc etc.

They are in it for the long haul.