By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the reason people are jumping on the PS4 hype train because 360 and Wii disappointed so much last gen?

vivster said:
oniyide said:
vivster said:
DialgaMarine said:
vivster said:
People are jumping on the hype train because PS3 was disappointing last gen, making it the underdog. People love underdogs.

PS3 dissappointing in what regard? I seriously eveybody who's purchased a PS4 has only done so out of sheer pity. That's just asenine.

Not pitty, frustration.

Just imagine your favorite sports team. It was once great but now it almost loses all the games and going down multiple leagues. But suddenly they've found the steroids in the basement and are climbing up again. Not only reaching top league but also winning it in every regard. Suddenly all the old fans are back again and it is so much more satisfying to celebrate a team that was once down and is now kicking the asses of its oppressors. It's your regular hero story ;)

Read my above post to see why I think the PS3 was a big disappointment.

thats a terrible analogy considering people arent spending 400+ to root for a sports team. People want the PS4 becasue they want it, its that simple

Sports fans are not spending less than gamers^^ Do you know how much season tickets cost? Not to mention fan merchandise, travels and live streams of the games.

Fans across all hobbies are the same. They want to see their team win and they spend a lot of money on it. Gaming fandom is quite similar to sports fandom.

because everyone buys tickets to see live games? NOPE not even close. I bet its less that half that does that. Now considering MOST people dont go see live games compared to people who watch on TV...that takes out travel expenses and what not. Fan merchandise and live streams. peanuts in comparison to game machines and actual games. 

So no game fandom is not similar to sports fandom. Not even close. I can be a Giants fan and never spend a DIME on anything Giants related. I could do the same for Sony or MS, but you would look foolish defending and talking about a PRODUCT  that you dont actually own.

Around the Network
Nem said:
oniyide said:
360 no. Wii U yes. BUT heres the thing, I think Wii dissastifaction is contributing to WIi U not doing so well. remember it hasnt been doing hot long before PS4 or One hit the market.

360 yes. I am one such case. The 360 was my main system through last gen. I was so dissatisfied after 5 years i got a PS3 and am getting a PS4 this gen. Microsoft, never again. 

So yeah... its safe to assume many got pissed off with the RRoD, with the lack of exclusives and the way Microsoft abandoned the system in the last 2 years and the greedy policies ushered in. That unveil of the X1 didnt help one bit either. So... yeah you can bet theres lots of people unhappy with the 360.

fair enough, but i bet the amout of people who were dissatisfied with 360 are FAR smaller than the ones who were satisfied. The hardware still sells and the software still sells. Contrast that to Wii which is pretty much done and been done even before WII U was out.