By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - In the Market for a Laptop ;o....

What brand is your favorite when it comes to laptops?

Hewlett Packard (HP) 55 45.08%

Toshiba 6 4.92%

Asus 23 18.85%

Sony 5 4.10%

Dell 7 5.74%

Acer 2 1.64%

Lenovo 10 8.20%

Other 6 4.92%

Total:114
novasonic said:

My MacBook Pro is well over 4 years old, and it runs like a champ. I have never had a single problem with it. The only thing that might need addressing soon is the battery. She has 653 charges under her belt. I also have one of those older white 13 inch MacBooks, that's around 6 or 7 years old. Battery is dead now, but still fires up and runs like no ones business. In the same time frame my girlfriend has had 3 PC laptops completely die on her. One was LG, one was Toshiba, and one was Samsung. I don't remember what she has now.

I have a 15 year old Dell Pentium laptop that is used for kids to use, the battery died on it, I bought a new battery off Ebay for $30 and it still runs like a champ.

Back before Acer was on a quest to out-sell everyone else in terms of sales volume, thus sacrificing quality to improve profits... They actually built very solid machines.
Years ago I had an Acer notebook for work, it was left out in the rain, it had fallen off the cars roof, dropped in sand, sat on, bashed, kicked everything.
It survived for almost a decade, the battery died (Another $30 ebay job.) and eventually, it was just far to old and failed, didn't help it was full of rust either.

Don't think that your Mac's are the only machines built to last, they are form over function. - All the inside components are built overseas (Assembled at  a Foxconn factory in China) and use the same components as PC manufacturers.
In every sense of the word, the Mac is a PC, they used to be something different when they used PowerPC processors, now it's just a logo.

LemonSlice said:

I took a look at the Kira Book, and I laughed. For the same price, you lose the 16:10 format, 160 pixels of vertical resolution and 100% of sRGB; two thunderbolt ports, you get Intel HD 4400 instead of Intel Iris (5100), slower processor, lower battery life, and no dual Mac/Win. Though it is half a pound lighter, has an extra USB port and a touch screen with Corning glass. For someone with three 1440p monitors (I feel ashamed to say I only have one), you should be able to see the benefit of outputting that resolution to the monitors if you need to, which with the Macbook Pro you can, to two of them. You should also see the benefit of not having it smeared with your greasy fingers.

Retina resolution on their devices (except it's too much on the iPad mini) is just about perfect, you really don't need 4K resolution on a 13" display. They're just trying to out-Retina Retina, but you can't really see the difference. They don't put the Retina to any kind of shame except in the numbers game.

The Y50 is totally the wrong class, and I don't know the price configuration nor do I know enough specs to compare. For a gaming laptop, a resolution that high can only be a burden (luckily it's only an option).

There are use cases for people to prefer 16:9 over 16:10.
Going by your post, you laugh at all notebooks which don't match the Macbook and then claim that "there is no point" if a notebook is better, there is irony in that.
The point I was getting across is that unlike Apple devices, you have choice and that is never a bad thing, there is a device that can suit everyones particular needs.

As for Intel Graphics, I personally couldn't care what it is, they're all horrible from a performance perspective, if you need real GPU performance for gaming or OpenCL you need an AMD or nVidia GPU with Enduro/Optimus, don't bother with the Intel Decelerators.

As for MacOS, well. I'm not ready to give up gaming, so the OS is useless for me from a gaming perspective, from a work perspective the programs I need wouldn't be adequate on a notebook's hardware anyway.

As for display resolution, there is a difference with 4k vs your retina. (It's a marketing gimmick.)

Whether you can discern the pixels all comes down to pixel density vs distance when viewing the panel, even then if you increase the resolution by multiples you can still notice more clarity, albeit you start to get diminishing returns.
Besides, the eye doesn't actually see in pixels, which is what makes this marketing term all the more entertaining.

It's like comparing a 4.5" phone with a 1080P display against an iPhones "retina" display that isn't even 720P, you can count your eggs that the 1080P is far superior, it looks clearer, plain and simple.
Don't fall for Apple's marketing gimmicks, it's never been entirely truthfull in the past, so take it with a grain of salt, buy what suits your needs/wants. - If that happens to be the macbook, then all the power to you.
For me? They're useless.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

So far my HP laptop has been great. My old Dell laptop started off great and then got many problems a year later after the warranty finished. :(

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

All the HP laptops I've used have had terrible heating problems as well as a loud fan.

Pemalite said:

There are use cases for people to prefer 16:9 over 16:10.

Going by your post, you laugh at all notebooks which don't match the Macbook and then claim that "there is no point" if a notebook is better, there is irony in that.
The point I was getting across is that unlike Apple devices, you have choice and that is never a bad thing, there is a device that can suit everyones particular needs.

Agreed, I have nothing against choice. Though there is some choice in view of Air and Pro models and 11" (Air only), 13" and 15" (Pro only) displays, and they can be configured pretty decently too.

I laughed when I looked at the Kira Book because of various things he said about MacBooks. Kira is in many ways more of an overpriced machine than the MacBook Pro you can get for 1500$.

I like my Pro, I really do. I looked around at various laptops, and was going to get a Yoga 2 Pro but it was delayed here by a few months so I ended up with the 13" Pro with Retina which was actually my second choice. In my first post in this thread, I recommended the Yoga 2 Pro.

I have a Dell XPS M1210.

Been up and running for 5+ years but I will definitely be looking to replace it soon. Looking at Dell or a Surface Pro.

Around the Network

I have a lenovo.
Best laptop I ever had