By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why death of HD-DVD will not impact Blu-ray sales????????

Doktor85 said:Blu-ray is still to expensive for the public,so ps3 is the most profitable because of tree argument: best blu-ray
best games of this generation
free network

Around the Network

HD DVD has been dead since warner went to camp blu ray. if you think an official announcement is going to unleash a flood gate of people into buying blu-ray your kidding yourself cause those flood gates have already been open for a while now. at $400 the general public won't buy no matter how dead HD DVD is.

since a blu ray player is backwards compatible with dvd i think the transition is inevitable once both dvd and blu ray are comparable in price (who wouldn't want something better for the same price) but as long as a good dvd player is $50 and a blu ray player is $400 most people (myself included) will say that blu ray isn't worth the cost of admission. eventually though. just not quite yet.

From the articles that I have been reading, most 'experts' expect the sales of blu ray to begin to take off sooner rather than later. Many more people are buying HD every day and there are a lot of stores hoping to sale blu ray players so they can sell blu ray disks and peripherals. We are still five to ten years to a place where hard drives will be large enough to hold enough movies...to would need 5000 gigabytes to hold my movies!!!

And DVD is not good enough, you really need to spend money on a Denon upconvert dvd player or a pioneer to get a picture that is anything near as sharp as BD and then it still does not have the detail or color.

playnext3 said:
Doktor85 said:Blu-ray is still to expensive for the public,so ps3 is the most profitable because of tree argument:       best blu-ray
                      free network

playnext3 said:
playnext3 said:
Doktor85 said:Blu-ray is still to expensive for the public,so ps3 is the most profitable because of tree argument: best blu-ray
free network

so the ps3 is the most worth of your money

Around the Network

One thing I notice about Blu-Ray over DVD's is the COLOR. I used to think that HD meant more detail (and it does) but I notice more of the rich colors that you can now see with HD media.

xenophon13 said:
From the articles that I have been reading, most 'experts' expect the sales of blu ray to begin to take off sooner rather than later. Many more people are buying HD every day and there are a lot of stores hoping to sale blu ray players so they can sell blu ray disks and peripherals. We are still five to ten years to a place where hard drives will be large enough to hold enough movies...to would need 5000 gigabytes to hold my movies!!!

And DVD is not good enough, you really need to spend money on a Denon upconvert dvd player or a pioneer to get a picture that is anything near as sharp as BD and then it still does not have the detail or color.

There are already 10 tb hard drives for around 1,500 dollars that hold 10,200gbs.

10 tb=====10.200gbs woow
my computer have 40gb :(
what a shame!!

Now taking bets for the VHS comeback of 2023. lol

Seriosuly, does the average consumer care if their copy of LOTR says HD-DVD with a lil red tab or Blu-ray with the same blue tag? No, they don't. The only thing they care about is 'will this work with the 5000$ tv I just bought and the 1000$ DVD player. Since Blu-ray for all intents and purposes has finsihed off HD-DVD I see no reason why people won't instantley flock to the most readily available format since I doub their's much brand loyalty among the common consumer.

Munkeh111 said:
playnext3 said:
Munkeh111 said:
When will they let the exclusive studios end their contracts?

war is over,toshiba lose,they don't need exclusive studios anymore,so ends of the contracts

they have payed for the exclusivity, if they are going to continue selling them to March, wouldn't they want the exclusivity until March, unless they allow them to buy out.

If I was in Toshiba's position, I would let the studios buy themselves out of the contract because it will recoup some of the losses. What's the point of keeping them exclusive? To piss everyone off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!