By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why death of HD-DVD will not impact Blu-ray sales????????

PS3 helps Blu-ray
Blu-ray helps PS3 2 little 2 late.
It will take atleast 3 years before Blu-ray becomes a USP for PS3.
It's still 12mln Blu-ray vs 12 bln DVD players.

I can't find anything about Universal & Paramount. I think they will go multi in march-may.

Around the Network

We can expect a certain spike in sales for Blu-ray :
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1759973320080217
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST34593320080218

blu-ray is the successors of the DVD don't you think that all the studio will drop the DVD for blu-ray,i don't except that for now or later this year,,,,,,,maybe in later 2009

Here is another link, where engadnet.com posted and it's confirmed that Toshiba will announce it tomorrow.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/18/toshiba-expected-to-announce-death-of-hd-dvd-tomorrow-stop-sale

It will be a long time before BR will become mainstream, if indeed it ever does...Standard DVD is more than good enough and will be for many years to come...

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

Around the Network

Today HDDVD is death. Tommorow people on the fence are going to buy a $400 Blu-ray player without Paramount and Universal titles. Instead of $200 HDDVD player. They will wait until Blu-ray drops it's price. Or they will atleast wait for Paramount and Universal titles.
Anyway everyone already knew what the fate of HDDVD was going to be when Warner went Blu-ray. So if they could afford Blu-ray they already got one. Blu-ray is still to expensive for the public.

Dvd is still here til everybody has a hdtv.

Blu-Ray just doesn't hold the advantages over DVD as DVD did over VHS. For most people now there is no reason to go Blu when DVD looks good enough to them. Blu-Ray does hold the advantage that it is backwards compatible, so eventually DVD players and DVDs will stop being sold and Blu-Ray players and discs will replace them. This won't happen until the price of Blu-Ray comes down though.

Doktor85 said:
PS3 helps Blu-ray
Blu-ray helps PS3 2 little 2 late.
It will take atleast 3 years before Blu-ray becomes a USP for PS3.
It's still 12mln Blu-ray vs 12 bln DVD players.

I can't find anything about Universal & Paramount. I think they will go multi in march-may.

Too little too late? What are you serious? LOL. I never get how, under a year and a half being released, its too late for the PS3.

Too late for what exactly? And you think companies will now be pushing upconverters, when they can make money all over again for Blu-Ray players and BR-DVD?Those players dont matter, it looked just as grim intially for DVD vs VHS. And what happened there?

Its not a competition. People love new technology, as long as its affordable. Blu-ray will catch on, and it will have a pretty healthy run. Maybe not as long as DVD, but Blu-ray will outsell DVD monthly before its all said and done.

People will buy Blu-ray anyway when it's $50. Even if they have a black/white TV.