By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2D Sonic games or 3D Sonic games? Why?

Tagged games:

All Sonic games suck. I chose Sonic All-Starts Racing Transformed

Around the Network

I prefer 2D. There's a lot of potential for Sonic in 3D, but Sonic Team hasn't had a clue with what they're doing since they split Sonic The Hedgehog 3 into two games.

Due to Sonic Team's incompetence the fan base is split into many different groups. Fans like 2D platforming, 3D platforming, on rails boosting, inconsequential characters, character designs, gameplay styles, etc. And now the problem is further compounded by the introduction of Sonic Boom, which will create a new segment of fans who will have to be pleased.

The Sonic franchise needs a reboot to fix its many problems. I really want a good 3D Sonic game.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

I actually like the 3D style better, though I've admittedly only played one of the 2D games, and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was one of my favorite gamecube games ever played. The story was a bit silly, but it worked. The gameplay was a blast, and chaos are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Actually, if they ever bring back the Chao Garden, I'd buy another Sonic game in a heartbeat. Still one of the most absurdly addicting mini games/side quests I've ever come across in a game.

Hmm

Sonic for me, died after Sonic & Knuckles. So I'm going to have to say 2D.

Mechanically the 3D games are a mess and SEGA just keep adding to them (no, piling features on) with every new release.. when they should look at their older entries and get back to basics.

I personally stopped playing the games after Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. It's passable, but not great. Never got around to complete it. Bought the HD rerelease last year and played it for about 1.5-2 hours before getting bored. The older games.. I can still go back to (1-3 + S&K), and they are a delight to play.

2D Sonic has indisputably performed better over the years. However, I think this is because it's easier to make a 2D Sonic game good, not because 2D is inherently better suited to Sonic. I think 3D Sonic has more potential to produce the best Sonic game ever, if they'd just get it right, but thus far they haven't. I have high hopes for Sonic Boom, though, it seems to be doing a lot of things right, let's hope they really are though and it doesn't just seem that way until we actually get the game in our hands.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
My answer to this kind of sucks. It's annoying, because I know that the 2D Sonic games are almost always better. They just are. Some of the more modern ones suck because the introduce the 3D's cancerous boost and homing attacks, but I think the 2D games perfected themselves with the Sonic Advance series.

That being said, I know that 3D Sonic has the makings to be so much better than the 2D ones. There has never been a good 3D Sonic game. There have been slight slashes of potential, but even the best one (Sonic Lost World) had deep flaws. The Sonic Adventure series is literally unplayable to me. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy those crap games.

3D Sonic can be better than 2D Sonic, but the need to fix some things. And they need to take a page out of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy to do it.

1. STOP changing Sonic's core mechanics! In Sonic you run, jump, and gain momentum. That's it. Stop it with the homing, and the boosting.

2. STOP fucking up the camera! It's 2014. How is Sonic Lost world the only 3D Sonic with a competent camera!?

3. STOP putting 2D levels or sections in the game! This shouldn't even have to be a point. This is a 3D game! Leave the 2D levels for 2D Sonic games.

4. STOP making the games so short! It's a level based game. We get it. We love it. How does Mario Galaxy have over 100 levels and Lost World can barely reach anything close to that many 3D levels?

5. STOP trying to make Sonic and action adventure game! Sonic is a speedy platformer. The game is about running and jumping, not stopping and fighting. Not exploration and puzzle solving. Enemies are made to be obstacles, not sparring partners. I can forgive Sonic Boom, because it's a spin off, but stop making the main games center around that shit. And before I get a shit storm, I'm not saying that a Sonic game can't have elements of exploration, but the game shouldn't center around it.

6. STOP dividing gameplay sections with specific characters! There should NEVER be a "Knuckles level" or a "Tail level." You get 100+ stages, where you unlock characters along the way that play pretty much the same with unique quirks for variety, and every character can complete every stage.

7. STOP adding 100+ playable characters! Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. That's all we'll ever need.

Basically, make Sonic Adventures 2 3D with 100+ stages.

I agree with you on 2 and 7, but the rest I have a bone to pick with.

1. Do you mean Sonic the character or Sonic the franchise? Because yeah, Sonic the character should stay the same. However, I really like the homing attacks in Sonic Adventure 2. How the hell else are you supposed to hit with Sonic's attacks in 3D? It's easy in 2D, but in 3D the homing attacks are necessary because jumping on enemies at that speed with accuracy is just too hard. Besides, the homing attacks can increase the speed and momentum of the level if the level is designed correctly. My issue comes in when they decide Sonic needs to turn into a werewolf, and the werewolf, rather than adding a mechanic or two, instead makes for a completely different gaming experience. Mario gets a cat suit, he becomes even more unstoppable and plows through levels faster. Sonic becomes a werewolf and the game is no longer about speed at all. That's what you want to avoid doing in experimenting with game mechanics.

2. Yeah, this is a completely valid point. No more of this bullshit.

3. So Mario 3D World can practically be a 2D game half the time, but Sonic can't experiment with different perspectives? I get where you're coming from here, but using 2D sections in innovative ways should still be possible. Writing them off completely as unnecessary seems hasty and underestimates the potential they may have. Don't speak in absolutes like that.

4. I dunno, what games are you talking about? Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were both fine, and Sonic Heroes was okay, as was Shadow the Hedgehog. There have been a few that were too short, but honestly, for the games that were too short, length was the least of their problems. Still, you're right, games should have a decent length. But Mario Galaxy did NOT have 100+ levels. Mario Galaxy 1 had 42, and Mario Galaxy 2 had 49, for a total of 91. Mario 64 and Sunshine each had significantly less, but they were much more fleshed out. I'd say about 2 dozen levels is plenty for a Sonic game.

5. I almost agree with you here, but this goes back to point 1 and blends into point 6. Sonic the character should not be an action adventure character, and since power isn't his deal, sparring with enemies shouldn't be a big part of it either, as you say. Knuckles, on the other hand, has developed his character into more of a fighter. I think having him plow through enemies is a good idea. However, even he shouldn't be about stopping and fighting. It should still be an action game, but also about momentum. So for Knuckles, gameplay should be at a slower pace, but still unstoppable. In a Sonic game, it's not necessarily even about the sense of speed so much as it is about the not stopping. What's the worst part about the 2D Sonic games? when you run into a wall and the momentum grinds to a hault, and the games are filled with sections that do just that, and you have to find your way back to the main path before you can build momentum again. I always hated that. Sonic games should provide a variety of obstacles while giving you the tools to overcome them in a way that maintains the feeling of flow. Nothing stops you up, because you're unstoppable.

6. Which brings me to this. I'm not saying there should be a completely different level exclusive to Knuckles where the entire point of the level is to not go fast but to instead explore carefully and meticulously. That clashes with the rest of the game too much, as much as I liked those levels. Certainly the bullshit with the Big the Cat levels should never happen again. However, in order to include variety in the levels without changing how Sonic plays, having different areas play to different character's strengths is a good idea. This is something Sonic Heroes did right, and what I'm excited about Sonic Boom for. You need to run and jump and platform at max speed? Use Sonic. Maybe a few weak one-hit enemies here and there to bounce off of but that's it. But if there's a horde of enemies coming your way that a simple homing attack won't take down? Switch to Knuckles, and let the raw power carry you through wave after wave like The Juggernaught would, slower than Sonic but still not losing any momentum due to your sheer strength. And why stop there? Tails gives some unique gameplay opportunities, through his technological abilities. This would be trickier to pull off, but rather than give Sonic a sword or gun or what have you, give Tails all the technology. He can also have the aerial sections due to his flying ability. Then you have Amy, who is supposed to be the agility character in Sonic Boom. Sonic is about rushing forward and leaping over obstacles to give a blinding sense of speed, but that can't get you through everything. Sometimes you need flexibility, agility, acrobatics, things of that nature, to navigate trickier obstacles. This could be Amy's niche, and give her a purpose beyond just making googly eyes at Sonic. I recognize you did more or less hint at this, and didn't say that there can't be multiple characters, but the idea that EVERY character MUST be able to complete EVERY stage will just lead to very generic levels. It's better to have levels that need multiple characters to play their part for the roles they specialize in, as Sonic Boom is doing.

7. Yeah, spot on. You have all you need character wise and gameplay wise with those four.

So basically, Sonic Adventure 2, 20-40 well designed levels that give every character a purpose, without anything gimmicky.

If it has Sonic chances are I will enjoy it. I don't really care if it's 3D, 2D or 4D.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I have to go with 2D because of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles...
They're among my favorite games ever...
Though Sonic Adventure and Sobic Colors were by no means bad...

Have a nice day...

Up until Sonic Adventure 1 the games were great. Although I think SA 1 was a great 3D Sonic, hands down for 2D Sonic because it´s much simple to play, still fast and also because of the roots of the series. From SA 2 onward the games had simply to much bullchit, unnecessary story elements/characters and complicated gameplay (ex. Sonic Heroes). The last great effort they made with Sonic imo was Sonic Generations.

HylianSwordsman said:
spemanig said:
My answer to this kind of sucks. It's annoying, because I know that the 2D Sonic games are almost always better. They just are. Some of the more modern ones suck because the introduce the 3D's cancerous boost and homing attacks, but I think the 2D games perfected themselves with the Sonic Advance series.

That being said, I know that 3D Sonic has the makings to be so much better than the 2D ones. There has never been a good 3D Sonic game. There have been slight slashes of potential, but even the best one (Sonic Lost World) had deep flaws. The Sonic Adventure series is literally unplayable to me. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy those crap games.

3D Sonic can be better than 2D Sonic, but the need to fix some things. And they need to take a page out of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy to do it.

1. STOP changing Sonic's core mechanics! In Sonic you run, jump, and gain momentum. That's it. Stop it with the homing, and the boosting.

2. STOP fucking up the camera! It's 2014. How is Sonic Lost world the only 3D Sonic with a competent camera!?

3. STOP putting 2D levels or sections in the game! This shouldn't even have to be a point. This is a 3D game! Leave the 2D levels for 2D Sonic games.

4. STOP making the games so short! It's a level based game. We get it. We love it. How does Mario Galaxy have over 100 levels and Lost World can barely reach anything close to that many 3D levels?

5. STOP trying to make Sonic and action adventure game! Sonic is a speedy platformer. The game is about running and jumping, not stopping and fighting. Not exploration and puzzle solving. Enemies are made to be obstacles, not sparring partners. I can forgive Sonic Boom, because it's a spin off, but stop making the main games center around that shit. And before I get a shit storm, I'm not saying that a Sonic game can't have elements of exploration, but the game shouldn't center around it.

6. STOP dividing gameplay sections with specific characters! There should NEVER be a "Knuckles level" or a "Tail level." You get 100+ stages, where you unlock characters along the way that play pretty much the same with unique quirks for variety, and every character can complete every stage.

7. STOP adding 100+ playable characters! Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. That's all we'll ever need.

Basically, make Sonic Adventures 2 3D with 100+ stages.

I agree with you on 2 and 7, but the rest I have a bone to pick with.

1. Do you mean Sonic the character or Sonic the franchise? Because yeah, Sonic the character should stay the same. However, I really like the homing attacks in Sonic Adventure 2. How the hell else are you supposed to hit with Sonic's attacks in 3D? It's easy in 2D, but in 3D the homing attacks are necessary because jumping on enemies at that speed with accuracy is just too hard. Besides, the homing attacks can increase the speed and momentum of the level if the level is designed correctly. My issue comes in when they decide Sonic needs to turn into a werewolf, and the werewolf, rather than adding a mechanic or two, instead makes for a completely different gaming experience. Mario gets a cat suit, he becomes even more unstoppable and plows through levels faster. Sonic becomes a werewolf and the game is no longer about speed at all. That's what you want to avoid doing in experimenting with game mechanics.

2. Yeah, this is a completely valid point. No more of this bullshit.

3. So Mario 3D World can practically be a 2D game half the time, but Sonic can't experiment with different perspectives? I get where you're coming from here, but using 2D sections in innovative ways should still be possible. Writing them off completely as unnecessary seems hasty and underestimates the potential they may have. Don't speak in absolutes like that.

4. I dunno, what games are you talking about? Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were both fine, and Sonic Heroes was okay, as was Shadow the Hedgehog. There have been a few that were too short, but honestly, for the games that were too short, length was the least of their problems. Still, you're right, games should have a decent length. But Mario Galaxy did NOT have 100+ levels. Mario Galaxy 1 had 42, and Mario Galaxy 2 had 49, for a total of 91. Mario 64 and Sunshine each had significantly less, but they were much more fleshed out. I'd say about 2 dozen levels is plenty for a Sonic game.

5. I almost agree with you here, but this goes back to point 1 and blends into point 6. Sonic the character should not be an action adventure character, and since power isn't his deal, sparring with enemies shouldn't be a big part of it either, as you say. Knuckles, on the other hand, has developed his character into more of a fighter. I think having him plow through enemies is a good idea. However, even he shouldn't be about stopping and fighting. It should still be an action game, but also about momentum. So for Knuckles, gameplay should be at a slower pace, but still unstoppable. In a Sonic game, it's not necessarily even about the sense of speed so much as it is about the not stopping. What's the worst part about the 2D Sonic games? when you run into a wall and the momentum grinds to a hault, and the games are filled with sections that do just that, and you have to find your way back to the main path before you can build momentum again. I always hated that. Sonic games should provide a variety of obstacles while giving you the tools to overcome them in a way that maintains the feeling of flow. Nothing stops you up, because you're unstoppable.

6. Which brings me to this. I'm not saying there should be a completely different level exclusive to Knuckles where the entire point of the level is to not go fast but to instead explore carefully and meticulously. That clashes with the rest of the game too much, as much as I liked those levels. Certainly the bullshit with the Big the Cat levels should never happen again. However, in order to include variety in the levels without changing how Sonic plays, having different areas play to different character's strengths is a good idea. This is something Sonic Heroes did right, and what I'm excited about Sonic Boom for. You need to run and jump and platform at max speed? Use Sonic. Maybe a few weak one-hit enemies here and there to bounce off of but that's it. But if there's a horde of enemies coming your way that a simple homing attack won't take down? Switch to Knuckles, and let the raw power carry you through wave after wave like The Juggernaught would, slower than Sonic but still not losing any momentum due to your sheer strength. And why stop there? Tails gives some unique gameplay opportunities, through his technological abilities. This would be trickier to pull off, but rather than give Sonic a sword or gun or what have you, give Tails all the technology. He can also have the aerial sections due to his flying ability. Then you have Amy, who is supposed to be the agility character in Sonic Boom. Sonic is about rushing forward and leaping over obstacles to give a blinding sense of speed, but that can't get you through everything. Sometimes you need flexibility, agility, acrobatics, things of that nature, to navigate trickier obstacles. This could be Amy's niche, and give her a purpose beyond just making googly eyes at Sonic. I recognize you did more or less hint at this, and didn't say that there can't be multiple characters, but the idea that EVERY character MUST be able to complete EVERY stage will just lead to very generic levels. It's better to have levels that need multiple characters to play their part for the roles they specialize in, as Sonic Boom is doing.

7. Yeah, spot on. You have all you need character wise and gameplay wise with those four.

So basically, Sonic Adventure 2, 20-40 well designed levels that give every character a purpose, without anything gimmicky.

1. No it isn't difficult to jump in 3D. I played and beat all of Sonic Lost World with out using the homing attack at all unless you couldn't progress without it. All it does is restrict the flow of the game. There's never been a time where it was implemented well, so just get rid of it. Mario can jump in 3D. So can Sonic without extra help. If your game is broken without the homing attack, that's due to shitty level design, not a need for the thing.

2. Glad we agree.

3. Mario 3D World isn't a real 3D Mario. It's an isometric game. Galaxy and Sunshine are real 3D Mario games, and they are both 99% full 3D. 3D Sonic needs to be the same. Get rid of the 2D. You want innovative 2D Sonic Levels? Play a 2D Sonic game.

4. No they weren't. I've never finished ANY Sonic game in over 6 hours.

5. Eh. I don't think it should be action at all. Enemies are just obstacles. When you see them, you're supposed to either thinking of jumping to avoid them or jumping to bounce off of them to continue your momentum. And I don't think that Knucles should be slower paced. Slower than Sonic? Absolutely, but was he slow in any of the 2D games? No. you still felt wicked fast, just not as fast as Sonic. Every one of his moves carries on momentum. His glide cuntinues momentum. His climbing should work like Sonic's "parcore" to carry momentum, only more controlable. His digging does too. That's how "action" should be handles in the 3D games.

6. I don't think that it leads to generic levels at all. Were Sonic 3 and Knuckles' levels generic? No. Any of the Advance levels? No. You can have alternet paths for specific characters, but there should be no character specific level that is required to beat the game. 

7. Yeah.

No, Sonic Adventure 2 was terrible in my opinion. I'd say the closest thing to my vision is the level design of the 3D stages of lost world (only not sectioned off all of the time) with the momentum based platforming of the Sonic Advance trilogy. No homing. No fighting. No nessecary stopping. Just running and jumping. And bring back the breaking the sound barrier. THAT was awesome. In Sonic Advance 2 and 3, if you gain enough speed, you "break the sound barrier," making you get a natural boost in speed, and a trail of images follows you. (It looks exactly like the Lost World effect you get when parkouring.) It's basically a speed reward for maintaining momentum, it happens naturally, and it never gets old.