By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which company's future looks more dim? Nintendo or Sony?

Which company has a bleaker future?

Sony 554 56.02%

Nintendo 198 20.02%

Why no MS...... 234 23.66%

Total:986
Lawlight said:
Justagamer said:
Lawlight said:
Justagamer said:

It's cool. You have your beliefs, I have no desire to continue this. I don't know how many posts/ people told it like it is, but, it's a lot. If you want to believe what you want, that's ok. Because the facts have been presented too many times to you. Talk to you later lawlight, you have a good night.

Typical - ask for proof and people get mad.

I don't know how many times someone needs to show you proof... I'm not mad at all, I'm sitting here getting a chuckle out of all this. So again, you will come to your own conclusions. And that is totally ok with me! So again, have a great night lawlight!

Proof from last year. Well, I've posted a link that shows that they'll be left with $7.5B after they buy back the shares. Considering that they had $14B back in 2008 (I provided a reuters link earlier in the topic), that's a big drop.

I've got to try floating down the denial river, seems fun!

Around the Network

Anyone thinking Nintendo's outlook is bleaker than Sony's is simply living in another reality, whichever way you cherrypick or spin it (not that Nintendo's looks fantastic).

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

DevilRising said:
MikeRox said:
Tough question really. If Sony were just a games company, it'd clearly be Nintendo, however they have a lot of other things bleeding money.

At the same time however, they have the option to spin loss making sectors off, as they are doing, whilst having a highly successful video game division.

In comparison on a gaming front Nintendo has a strong handheld format, and a near dead home console. Sony is pretty much a perfect mirror of that, however software sales on home consoles are generally far better meaning, from a gaming only perspective, Sony currently has the rosier horizon.

1. Sony's gaming division is not "highly successful". It is and has been bleeding money for some time. It took years for the PS3 to become profitable, and the PS4, considering it's tech for that price, is almost certainly losing money.

2. I wouldn't suggest that Sony has the "rosier horizon" at all. Nintendo's portable sales are doing very well, they have literally billions of dollars in the bank, and the only reason they "posted a loss" for this past fiscal year, is because their own forcast was FAR too high in the first place.

3. Nintendo's home console, the Wii U, is hardly "near dead". It got a nice shot in the arm late last year, and has a much more consistent release schedule for 2014, with games like MK and SB absolutely primed to provide stronger sales. Things aren't GREAT for Wii U, but they're not as dire as some make things out to be either. What Wii U has lacked, is what it is soon getting, some actual, "big gun" type games that are must haves for many people, such as Mario Kart, that will help drive sales, as many have held off buying the console till these kinds of games come out. The PS4, on the other hand, while doing great right now in sales, the gaming division as a whole is not making much money for Sony, and some of their other divisions are in big trouble. Sony could not survive if gaming was all they had, and if the company as a whole goes under, so shall the Playstation. Some other company might certainly buy the brand, but it would still be a disaster.

4. All of this meaning, that I would say Sony is the stronger bet as to who might be "in trouble". Even if Wii U DOES ultimately fail, which I do not currently believe it shall, even if it DOES, that won't cost Nintendo a shitload in the long-run, they have plenty of money, their portable system is doing fine, they will no dobut just make another console, and they are planning to branch out into other business areas, and license more of their properties out for non-gaming products, which will be another big source of revenue. If Wii U fails to make them a lot of money, they will just keep on trucking. They are one of the strongest brands in the world. Sony, over the last several years, has not been. Not like they used to be.

1: The PS3 losses were down to a crazed engineer (Kuturagi) who was given free reign for far too long and his managers being too incompetent to see what was going on. If they'd realised just what the unit price was for the spec, Kuturagi would have been told to ease off, however by the time they realised just how ludicrous the PS3 spec was, they were too close to launch to do anything about it. The PS4 is far more cost effective in design and I understand break's even with 1 piece of software. Aren't Nintendo also losing money on each Wii U sold despite having previous gen technology due to the cost of the pad?

2: Sony currently have a much more promising looking outlook for this generation. I don't really see what Nintendo can do to salvage anything from this gen now other than to aim to break even and rectify it for next generation. However, Wii U has hurt their reputation. Add in the damage done by the panic 3DS price slash etc in 2011 and Nintendo's likely scaring off a lot of early adopters on their future systems. They now have the advantage of being able to regroup knowing what their competition is for the best part of the next decade, but whether they will be able to convince people it's worth buying into their next product remains to be seen. No point having billions in the bank, if they have no significant foothold in their only market. It would just dwindle away.

3: To say Wii U is on anything other than life support is optimistic at best. Don't get me wrong, I do have a Wii U with 8 games. But I don't see anything this year that is going to significantly reverse it's fortunes and if XB1 and PS4 continue to sell as well as they have done out of the starting block, I don't see a route back into significance for it. I honestly thought 3D World would have more impact than it did. Hopefully Mario Kart 8 will help it shift units, but it currently looks like the audience that carried them so well with the Wii may have now had their fun and moved onto other things.

4: 3DS has sold great to date, but the declines YoY will certainly be worrying for Nintendo. They blew their load in 2013 with big name releases. What is left to help the system continue it's hardware momentum at the moment? Making another console looks like their only route out at the moment, however if they've shot their brand loyalty as a result of Wii U, and the main gaming population are happy with XBONE and PS4, it's going to be a difficult sale. They won't have the price advantage because any hardware they make will need to at least be on parity with PS4/XBONE. Those epic financial reserves could well end up being depleted far faster than you would expect.

To say Nintendo's outlook is rosier than Sony's or Microsoft's right now purely from a gaming perspective is very optimistic. Sega went from a very successful console to bankrupt in 2 generations. I don't think Nintendo will do the same as I'd hope they won't make quite as stupid business decisions, but when gaming is your only revenue stream, if your gaming sector mis-steps, they need to get back on track ASAP otherwise it's game over. Nintendo have had 2 blunders in a row now. Will people be as keen to jump head first into their next system?

That said, I know they have a sale from me, had a Wii U at launch and perfectly happy with it. I'll buy any console with a Nintendo logo on it just for Nintendo games and I hope they do manage to find a way out of their current rut. But I still think Sony's gaming division is currently looking rosier. Call be blind, living in an alternate reality or whatever, it's just my irrelivant opinion.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Justagamer said:

I've got to try floating down the denial river, seems fun!

Seems like you're the one in denial in the face of facts.

Cheebee said:
Anyone thinking Nintendo's outlook is bleaker than Sony's is simply living in another reality, whichever way you cherrypick or spin it (not that Nintendo's looks fantastic).

Sony still has a lot of profitable divisions including their gaming one. Nintendo on the other hand...

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
If Sony ditches their TV division, then I will say them.

Nintendo is much healthier financially but eventually you need a hit product, and it seems to me like all their product categories are in decline.

Yes even 3DS ... 13 million/year at what could be its peak is not that great. The GBA was hitting 15-17+ million shipments in comparable years in its life cycle, so both the Wii U and 3DS are selling less than the GCN/GBA era (no point in comparing to the Wii/DS days).

Also I honestly don't know if Iwata/Miyamoto (as a business suit) know what they're doing. I get the sense that they are going to chase trying to repeat Wii Fit's success ... but seeing how badly Wii Fit U is doing, I have to wonder if they really can pull off this quality of life thing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/10/nintendo-3ds-sales-outpacing-game-boy-advance-japan/

Lawlight said:
Cheebee said:

Sony still has a lot of profitable divisions including their gaming one. Nintendo on the other hand...

Are you living in fantasy land?

Sony has WAY TO MANY DEBTS.

Nintendo has none.

SONY HAS NET LOSSES

Nintendo has net profits (operation losses tho)

SONY FIRES PEOPLE SELLS BUILDINGS

Nintendo builds statuses, goes on hiring sprees

SONY BREAKS EVEN ON GAMING DUE TO EXORBITANT SPENDING

Nintendo profits off gaming. (MS loses money like a bitch)

VITA SELLS LESS THAN THE SEGA SATURN

WiiU sells more than dreamcast

SONY IS DOOMED

NINTENDO IS DOOMED

WE"RE ALL DOOMED

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-CJ910_SONY_G_20140206183904.jpg

From a purely gaming perspective Nintendo has a lot more genres they need to cover if they want to sell more hardware

In the west for instance, they should put out a Metroid PRime on the 3DS. A super metroid on WiiU for the japanese

Ps4 cant even save sony man why do i even waste time with these sony droids

Neither both companies future's will be bright.

For Sony they are going through a new transition, since Kaz Hirai stepped up as CEO in 2012 they have made some drastic much needed changes. Obviously Sony is restructuring it's business model acknowledging that their expensive high-quality products aren't in demand. People want the BEST PRODUCTS for the CHEAPEST PRICE.
For now Sony will stick to what it's good at; Entertainment(Music/Movies), and Hardware(Playstation) etc...
Restructuring takes more than a few years, it will take Sony another 2 perhaps 3 years to get back on track.

Nintendo is in decent shape, they were really relying on the Wii U to be Wii popular. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
3DS profit will offset the Wii U losses, and vice versa. They know their target demographic better than anyone else (ages 5+), but gimmicky controls will have to stop or they will have to come up with something very bold(aka a new way to play) to get a leg up on Microsoft and Sony as far as consoles go.

Overall both futures are bright look for Nintendo to get back on track in about 6 months to 18 months.

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
Lawlight said:
Cheebee said:

Are you living in fantasy land?

Sony has WAY TO MANY DEBTS.

Nintendo has none.

SONY HAS NET LOSSES

Nintendo has net profits (operation losses tho)

SONY FIRES PEOPLE SELLS BUILDINGS

Nintendo builds statuses, goes on hiring sprees

SONY BREAKS EVEN ON GAMING DUE TO EXORBITANT SPENDING

Nintendo profits off gaming. (MS loses money like a bitch)

VITA SELLS LESS THAN THE SEGA SATURN

WiiU sells more than dreamcast

SONY IS DOOMED

NINTENDO IS DOOMED

WE"RE ALL DOOMED

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-CJ910_SONY_G_20140206183904.jpg

From a purely gaming perspective Nintendo has a lot more genres they need to cover if they want to sell more hardware

In the west for instance, they should put out a Metroid PRime on the 3DS. A super metroid on WiiU for the japanese

Sony's gaming division is profitable. Nintendo is forecasting losses for the whole year. With the 3DS slowing down and the WiiU not going anywhere, expect the situation to get worse. Well, I suppose their future unwearable items can be a massive success.