By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is utorrent a good torrent program,recommendations? and can I get sued for?

alpha_dk said:

(Almost) Any program that allows transferring of files between two computers involves the other computer knowing your IP address. Nothing -- not even sending a different IP to the tracker -- will change this. The MPAA/RIAA et al get IPs by connecting to the tracker and attempting to connect to the nodes involved. Those it can connect to are now no longer obscured. There is absolutely no protection against this; no matter what, this will be the case. It is a by-product of the protocols that run the internet.

There are some programs out there that can protect you from this method of IP discovery. They are called darknets, and tend to be a bit slower and sketchier in nature than the 'open'/non-anonymous P2P systems, like bittorrent.

That said, IF it is true that you only use it to download fansubbed anime, there is almost a 0% chance of you getting sued (assuming it does not have a distributor) - the Japanese companies tend to be liberal with derivative works like fansubs, as it is good market research as to what will fly in the West and be worth bringing across the ocean. If there is a distributor in the states, the file transfers will go less legit (fan sites will stop directly posting the torrents, etc), but I have never heard of legal action being taken.

Oh, and changing your IP address will do nothing. Your ISP has logs of who is in control of what IP at any given time, and will provide it upon subpoena to askers.

Limewire is as easy to track and even easier to prove infringement than BT, so thats no improvement.

EDIT: Since it was brought up, encryption will also do nothing to protect you in this aspect.  It will protect you from snoops along the wires (like ISP packet shapers), but for what the MPAA/RIAA do to track infringers, it will do nothing; at some point the data needs to be decrypted, and by making themselves the place where it is decrypted the RIAA is able to track you just as easily as without.  So don't count on encryption (which Azureus, µtorrent, bit-tornado, and other programs all use the same protocol for interconnectivity) to protect you from lawsuits. 

thanks for the well thought out answer.

Ive heard of a good program called peerguardian, which block IP's that are known to be spies.
kind of like an antivirus program. though like an antivirus program it can only block known IP addresses
that are known to be seeds of MPAA and RIAA et al.

Ive also heard the internet provider will protect its users privacy. They have a stance saying "were like the post office we dont inspect the contents of the packets being sent" or something to that extent.  though they will provide it if the law demands, similar to a search warrant. but that would be too much work just to pin down one person when there are millions sharing.

also, If the IP adress has been change several times how can they track it? they should have the IP address, but if you changed your IP address like 3 times that day and some other people got that old IP address how can they prove its you?
Also wouldnt that be invasion of privacy from their part?(serious question)

also, arent millions of people use limewire or similar programs? how come nothing happened to them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

utorrent is the best one that I have used. I'd stick with that one. My HD Lost episodes come in within minutes.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

darklich13 said:
utorrent is the best one that I have used. I'd stick with that one. My HD Lost episodes come in within minutes.

does it allow you to encrypt downlaods? if not its becoming more and more unsafe to use.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

this is why rapidshare and projectw are the killer combo; you're just downloading a bunch of .rar files

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

ssj12 said:
darklich13 said:

does it allow you to encrypt downlaods? if not its becoming more and more unsafe to use.

It does, but its pretty useless.
for example an MPAA spy decided to seed an episode of lost.
even if your download is encrypted and the packets cant be read by the internet provider, your IP is still with the MPAA spy youre sharing the file with. They check your IP with your Internet provider and BAM your getting mail that youre infringing copyright.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
this is why rapidshare and projectw are the killer combo; you're just downloading a bunch of .rar files
I went to projectw and I have to be a member to be able to browse the forums

iclim4 said:
ssj12 said:
darklich13 said:

It does, but its pretty useless.
for example an MPAA spy decided to seed an episode of lost.
even if your download is encrypted and the packets cant be read by the internet provider, your IP is still with the MPAA spy youre sharing the file with. They check your IP with your Internet provider and BAM your getting mail that youre infringing copyright.

wel you can encrypt the entire transfer so it just looks like your downloading a bunch of images or something. Also a good encryption wont allow your IP to be traced that easily. even by your ISP. This is why I use Bit-Tornado. The stealth encryption is quite good. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Most people use Limewire for music and another nothing ever happens to anyone who just DLs (and doesn't upload) on Limewire. You can be tracked and sued on utorrent but it is safer than getting movies or shows off of utorrent. If you are scared, don't do it or get the stuff from private networks.

You can stream many shows and movies, even without DLing.

There is always the option of buying stuff, too :)

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

ssj12 said:

wel you can encrypt the entire transfer so it just looks like your downloading a bunch of images or something. Also a good encryption wont allow your IP to be traced that easily. even by your ISP. This is why I use Bit-Tornado. The stealth encryption is quite good. 

well from my understanding it works like this.

seeder>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tracker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>leecher
unencrypted file>>>encrypted when being sent>>>>>>unencrypted file

the seeder still gets your IP address since your IP has to request the transfer and the seeder knows what file he/she is seeding.so even if the file is encrypted along the way the seeder still knows what file you are downloading.
what if the seeder was an MPAA spy? he has your IP and know what file your downloading.

from my understanding peer guardian works by blocking known seeders that are spys.

FreeTalkLive said:
Most people use Limewire for music and another nothing ever happens to anyone who just DLs (and doesn't upload) on Limewire. You can be tracked and sued on utorrent but it is safer than getting movies or shows off of utorrent. If you are scared, don't do it or get the stuff from private networks.

You can stream many shows and movies, even without DLing.

There is always the option of buying stuff, too :)

dont worry I dont download movies nor do I use limewire.
I usually just download anime when im using utorrent so im pretty much in the clear.

wait so I cant get in trouble if I just DL from limewire? as long as I dont upload?
any proof on this?