By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Is Right, Mobile Gaming Is NOT A Good Idea

Tagged games:

While at school today, I noticed something that sparked an idea in my head. While in my third period (it was a free time... we had time to spare), many people were playing a game called "Flappy Bird" on their phone. I had never heard of it before and asked what they were doing and the proceeded to say that Flappy Bird is the "most addicting game on the iPhone, right now." Now, do you all remember Candy Crush? Remember when that was all the rage? Remember when it was the "most addicting game on the iPhone/Android, right now"? It may still be pretty popular... but for how much longer?

As the day went on, one of my friends brought up another game "Fun Run" or something like that. She was talking about how that was the "most addicting game" in early 2013 and how it used to be all the rage. What happened to that? Well, the rage subsided, obviously. Fun Run is no longer the hot, it game on the iPhone and most people have seemingly forgotten about it. Another supporting point; do any of you remember "Tap Tap Revenge"? That game was huge when the iPod Touch and iPhone were in their early stages of life. Now they don't even make them anymore (to my knowledge), they are now a distant memory. 

My point here is, Mobile gaming is not a safe route to go, not for Nintendo, nor anyone else. Unlike many SW titles on gaming consoles which have legs and are owned by their owners for a very long time and are replayed many times, apps can be easily deleted and completely forgotten about. They were just a fad. The mobile market is an extremely fad based setting. It's risky as well. One moment your app is the game to play, another, it's dead. I know not all games have legs, but major games like Pokemon, Mario/Kart, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, or Halo do.

Why do people complain when Nintendo doesn't want to go this route? Why would people complain about any console based gaming company not going this route? 

Around the Network

you know that girl that brings someone down by giving wrong advice to them? that's pachter, the gaming pres, and a portion of sony fans befriending Nintendo. 

It is a safe route to go if you have enough games to launch a new one when the previous isn't popular anymore

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I can´t wait for the mobile/F2P bubble to burst.

It literally can´t come soon enough !

snyps said:
you know that girl that brings someone down by giving wrong advice to them? that's pachter, the gaming pres, and a portion of sony fans befriending Nintendo.

It's not only the gaming press or "analysts", it's also some of Nintendo's own shareholders.

I would also like to point out that this isn't just about Nintendo, but what's wrong with mobile gaming as a whole.

Around the Network

But... bu... Nintendoom! Mobiles are the future!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I stumbled across a horrible platformer on google play yesterday. It was a mario clone, but with chickens... The game had 90 million+ downloads and I had never heard of it, nor have I heard anyone talk about it. That would mean that it's more popular than Pokemon, Call of Duty, GTA , the new Super Mario bros, etc. Anytime I see people say that mobile gaming is taking away from handhelds and consoles - I laugh. Mobile gaming is a joke.

NintendoPie said:
snyps said:

It's not only the gaming press or "analysts", it's also some of Nintendo's own shareholders.

I would also like to point out that this isn't just about Nintendo, but what's wrong with mobile gaming as a whole.

Well i agree with you, casual audiences will forget you faster than you can say Wii U.  Nintendo pres even said something similar to what you're saying.   Thankfully, Nintendo doesn't listen to market advice or they wouldn't be in the games biz to begin with. 

kirby007 said:
It is a safe route to go if you have enough games to launch a new one when the previous isn't popular anymore

Who says the next game will be popular?

I think you're onto something. The mobile market doesn't exactly favor those who want to make "premium" gaming experiences, and Nintendo isn't comfortable with that.

At the same time, creating one's own platform and establishing a market for certain types of games to succeed is difficult and costly in its own right.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero