By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii ever pass ps2 sales

Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
The lifespan of the Wii just isn't long enough. I'd say no.

Why isn't it long enough?

I would say graphics power. When the PS2 came out is was the most powerful system you could own. Then the GC and XBOX came out and they were both more powerful. So, you kinda have the same thing going on this generation. The Wii is the least powerful system and the PS3 and 360 are the Xbox and GC of this generation. But, the PS2 was still able to have the same games as XBOX and GC just with slightly reduced visuals and performance. This is not the case with the Wii.

To me, the Wii isn't just a flash in the pan or a fad but I just don't think it has the staying power of the PS2.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

it wont...simply b/c there will be a new gen out before the wii could reach those numbers....its that simple

darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:

I would say graphics power. When the PS2 came out is was the most powerful system you could own. Then the GC and XBOX came out and they were both more powerful. So, you kinda have the same thing going on this generation. The Wii is the least powerful system and the PS3 and 360 are the Xbox and GC of this generation. But, the PS2 was still able to have the same games as XBOX and GC just with slightly reduced visuals and performance. This is not the case with the Wii.

To me, the Wii isn't just a flash in the pan or a fad but I just don't think it has the staying power of the PS2.

You do realize that the NES was a gen behind its competitors at launch and it lasted 20 years with obsolete graphics

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Griffin said:
You guys who keep posting graphs are not posting the whole picture, the PS2 was released in different locations at different times so you need to align launches for each region not for "ALL". The PS2 has also sold 11.8mil consoles over the past 9months this late into its life, thats more then the PS3/360 last i looked.

The Wii will never sell more then the PS2, the PS2 will continue to sell until a next gen system is launched, i doubt the wii will have that sort of shelf life. According to the Sony reports they have made/sold about 125mil PS2 consoles. Because Sony used to track Made units and now Sold its hard to get a clear picture over the years unless they changed their past reports to represent this, i'm not sure.

PS2 wasn't Supply constrained as long as Wii has been

And why do people always bring it up, that Ps2 was launched different time at every region. Nintendo could have done the same and still have a sell-out. It's just that Sony underestimated Ps2's sales potential like Nintendo has done with Wii.

Care to explain, how that changes the point from where we look those sales datas Griffin ?

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

PDF said:
The Mario sport games hardly qualify for sports games. I hate it when I see them on list for years best sports games. People who think of Mario sports games as sports game do not understand the Madden type audience, which is huge. They are so different and no Madden loving Gamer is gonna buy a Mario sports game over it. Mario sports games are like party games with a Sport theme.

GTA was a game that appealed to a mass audience of all type of gamers.

I think that "casual" type of gamer who likes Madden will buy Wii and Madden for it. It was pretty good, when i tried it, but american "football" isn't my thing, but nevertheless a good "partygame".

So did Gta apply even for platform/puzzle/board/educational/party/sports/strategy type of gamers ?

Around the Network
PDF said:
@Avinash - I said there is no real proof on either side. I did acknowledge that wii sports was a title that drew many people to the wii.

If you want me to present the other side I will.

Lets take a look at the xbox. A system that has very dependent on the fps/sport gamer. You could figure that most xbox owners were that type of audience. So lets say about 15m of them were. Then you got all the ps2 users of that type of gamer. It is much harder to grab a # out of the PS2 since the ps2 had far more varied type of gamers. It would obviously not be less than the xbox. So lets say about 30m ps2 owners were that type of gamer. I believe far more were tho. So since thisabout the ps2 not the ps2+xbox you have about 30m gamers that are not going to buy the Wii.

The Wii will have to pick up atleast 30m new gamers.

And why wouldn't those Ps2-owners buy a Wii ? If they were "casual" they don't think that highly about grafx-power of the console and go for the most popular console at that moment.

mesoteto said:
it wont...simply b/c there will be a new gen out before the wii could reach those numbers....its that simple

And did Ps2 stop selling when new/this gen was introduced ?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:

You do realize that the NES was a gen behind its competitors at launch and it lasted 20 years with obsolete graphics

The NES is part of the third generation of video games. It main competition at its time of release (Japan 1983,USA 1985) was the Sega Master System and the Atari 7800.  What competitors are you talking about??

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:

The NES is part of the third generation of video games. It main competition at its time of release (Japan 1983,USA 1985) was the Sega Master System and the Atari 7800.  What competitors are you talking about??

lol, you really need to go chaeck your gaming history, when console gaming crashed gaming moved to the gaming PC's of the time, when NES launched, it wasn't against other consoles, but against gaming PC's, when NES launched people thought it was a fad that would die out in favor of the more powerful gaming PC's, funny how the more things change the more they stay the same

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Punisher said:

And why do people always bring it up, that Ps2 was launched different time at every region. Nintendo could have done the same and still have a sell-out. It's just that Sony underestimated Ps2's sales potential like Nintendo has done with Wii.

Because Wii sold more in the same amount of time, PS2 wouldn't have sold as much ast the Wii has, if Wii had staggered they may have sold even more then they have so far because of more supply availible for each launch, but PS2 wouldn't have been able to match the Wii's sales either way, because as we saw demand tapered off faster in each market, the fact that demand still hasn't been matched for Wii proves that it has stronger demand