By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii ever pass ps2 sales

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Check the sig

When you say the entire playstation family of "consoles", I'm assuming you mean no PSP, right?  That seems a tall order either way......

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Check the sig

When you say the entire playstation family of "consoles", I'm assuming you mean no PSP, right?  That seems a tall order either way......

Yeah not including PSP, it'll make it, as long as Nintendo ups production

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@Avinash_Tyagi

Yep, as long as they up it's production +introduces new colors +hdd (just give it to us already. Hopefully revealed in GDC) +more (good or perfect) exclusive games and after a while lowers price to 200 $/€ (like they would need to in near future)

:p

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If Nintendo does not release an WiiHD/Wii 2 before 2010 then yes. Otherwise no.

Probably 2011-12

Proud owner of a Wii, a Xbox360 and a PS3 (...two PS3's...)

My main brawl characters

Now playing:

wii:Super smash bros. brawl, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
ps3: Guitar hero 3,4,5. Rock Band 1,2. Resistance 2
Xbox360:Nhl2k9, Mass Effect, MW2, Halo 3.

Around the Network

You can't really predict that yet. My best guess would be yes, but I can't foretell what's going to happen.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

As much as I love the Wii, and as awesome as its success is...I doubt it. People (fans), I think, are too quick to assume dramatically high figures.

Also, I mean this seriously, consider the amount of PS2 users who bought PS2's because their original PS2's broke---Wii's are quite a bit sturdier.

Wii also has stronger competition than xbox and gamecube.

I think that the only way Wii will be > PS2 sales is, maybe, if Nintendo introduces a well-timed and well-designed new SKU. And then, its still only a maybe.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Maybe, who is to say. At it's current rate it'll double the PS2 sales. That's all we have to go on, and it's not enough.

... I think you are wrong.

Current rate of Wiis sold/year. A little less than 15M.

Ps2 total sales over 7 years: 110M = 15.7M

By the current rate, Wii will NOT outsell Ps2 as far as I see.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Except Wii is selling faster then the DS, and by extension the PS2, so yeah it will pass the PS2 probably by the end of 2010, hardware isn't as important as people seem to believe, it never decides a console's success

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Oyvoyvoyv said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Maybe, who is to say. At it's current rate it'll double the PS2 sales. That's all we have to go on, and it's not enough.

... I think you are wrong.

Current rate of Wiis sold/year. A little less than 15M.

Ps2 total sales over 7 years: 110M = 15.7M

By the current rate, Wii will NOT outsell Ps2 as far as I see.

Wii outsold PS2's first year and DS's first year, with limited supply