By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple results : Huge... but estimates missed. stock falls in after trading.

their sales are just incredible,can't remember the exact number from an earlier thread but it was over 50% of the US market for the phones/tabs and stuff wasn't it

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
starting to get pretty insane what investors are expecting from companies.. to grow grow grow like there is no tommorow..

From 2008 to 2011, Apple's growth was utterly insane. A hardware giant delivering a steady 50% growth with spikes up to 100%? No wonder expectations went out of whack.

The problem now is that investors seem to think Apple is doomed to failure if they aren't launching a steady barrage of market-redefining products. The history of the Mac suggests otherwise. And strong iOS usage numbers and the iPhone's rock-steady ASP corroborate that Apple can hold its ground in mobile.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

kowenicki said:
DirtyP2002 said:
kowenicki said:
top of the bell curve?

happened mid-late 2012.

Question: Who made lots of money with it?

I meant in terms of product sales to be honest.

well you never know what they will come up with, but their lack of innovations for 3 or more years now is concerning to some.
Oh and I predict that the rumored iWatch will fail, if it gets announced.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

well you never know what they will come up with, but their lack of innovations for 3 or more years now is concerning to some.
Oh and I predict that the rumored iWatch will fail, if it gets announced.

Sometimes I think Apple deliberately starts rumours about things like a smartwatch to see how high they can make Samsung jump.

The current, more reliable, rumour is that there's a major Apple TV update coming. Something more interesting than a resolution bump.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing

51 million iphones? thats insane.... how much did they sell last holiday quarter?

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
51 million iphones? thats insane.... how much did they sell last holiday quarter?

47.8 million. A pretty modest 7% growth, though I think there may have been an extra week in last year's quarter, so that would account for another 7% or so.

Compare to Samsung, whose mobile division had flat revenues YoY, yet is estimated by Strategy Analytics to have unit growth from 63 to 86 million. If true, that implies a plunging ASP which would suggest Samsung is having a hard time unseating Apple from the high end and is slashing prices to compete with low-margin Chinese vendors.

Meanwhile Twitter stocks actually managed to go up during the last months without any real profits. Go figure market speculation.

I'm waiting for that information technology bubble to burst...