By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Lost Planet - 5GB Install

@Munkeh111 - Well you do have quite a load time right at the start of the game.

Around the Network

Meh, if I had a PS3, I wouldn't mind that much.
I actually think it's kind of better.
I'm the type of guy who does not keep files for very long and after I delete them, I don't miss them. I won't keep a gameplay trailer in my 360 harddrive after I downloaded it from XBLM and watched it. I always seem to have room, and when I do get a PS3, it's going to be the premium (120GB+ or whatever), so space isn't an issue. Damn, time isn't an issue either, I could wait 20 minutes before I start playing a game. I usually spend that much time reading the game manual before I play!

Thanks for reading :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Come on people.
Whether you love your PS3 or not, this is not good for gamers.
Is this necessary? Why are programmers doing this to gamers?
At least give us a choice.
This will not deter me from getting a PS3, but it is still very annoying.

Oh my god, games get installed on hdd's to run smoother and faster. Damm those terrible publishers for maximizing performance in a way that the PS3 allows.

I want my games to stutter and have framedrops instead of installing a few gb to help improve overall performance. Loading a game should also take forever as it prolongs my gaming experience. I didn't pay 70 Euro to be robbed of my minute long waits for a game to boot from disc.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Gazz said:
Oh my god, games get installed on hdd's to run smoother and faster. Damm those terrible publishers for maximizing performance in a way that the PS3 allows.

I want my games to stutter and have framedrops instead of installing a few gb to help improve overall performance. Loading a game should also take forever as it prolongs my gaming experience. I didn't pay 70 Euro to be robbed of my minute long waits for a game to boot from disc.

lol that's the spirit, how dare them.

Oh by the way, I looked at how much space the PC version of Gears of War takes up from it's minimum requirements. If you think 5 gigs is rough for the PS3, try installing Gears of War and notice it's required 12gigs of space. Heck, Crysis requires 12gigs too and Call of Duty 4 is 8gigs.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Stockstar1138 said:
here is my big problem with this whole thing.

1. With GT5:P the majority of copies sold will be blu-ray copies, not PSN downloads. I feel like as the Prologue has never come out in America before, a lot of people are going to see GT5:P and go, "OMG! GT5 is out, mam, can I please have a copy of that" People are going to think Prolouge is a suffix like A-Spec was. They are going to get home, they are going to install all 5GB and not know how to deleate the 3GB of movies. Very few people are going to download this, maybe 10% of consumers I feel like.

2. Most people will not go change out a HDD. People have always associated console gaming as buying a set unit and having to change parts out like a PC. They aren't going to even realize what is wrong and just live with the problem of a full HDD.

3. People who bought the 40GB are going to get pissed off and this isn't good at Sony. PS3 was $600 orignally, now its $400, a lot of people have jumped on the $400 price point. Now in a year, when their HDD is full and they are intelligent enough consumers to realize the problem, they are going to say I paid $400 for this now I need a $100 HDD, wow! I just got screwed by Sony, I'll think twice before buying their products again.

1. no the prologue versions of each game has come out before in america.

2. gamers aren't that stupid

3. most people who bought the 40GB model use it only for Blu-ray movies.

2. That's an example of the kind of attitude which drives many people away from the PS3.

3. Oh is it? I think I remember ioi saying that about 40% of PS3s purchased nowadays in USA are the 40 GB model, are you saying that almost 40% of PS3's recent userbase don't use it for gaming? Got any sources?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Munkeh111 said:
@ ssj, in europe the 40GB is the only model avaliable, so that is not just for blu-ray
Anyway, even with a 60GB, the space is not going to last that long if a 5gb install is required. While I agree that in some cases it is a good thing, I do not understand why Uncharted has no install time, and yet has not loading times.

becasue Uncharted might have been beautiful but there was a ton of repeating textures through out so there wasnt a ton of different objects to load. Honestly users could easily just delete the data as the beat the games. Simple. But most games have installs. Resistance's install is ike 700Mb, COD4 I could have sworn has a small file to install. It's all a matter of how much crap needs to be streamed at once. Motorstorm very well needs a 2GB install to improve loadtimes. Simple fact is these might be larger installs then most but most have installs. Just delete data as you beat games or jsut upgrade the HDD. Or by an external HDD, a 1TB external drive is only $200 - $250.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

NJ5 said:
ssj12 said:

Stockstar1138 said:

2. That's an example of the kind of attitude which drives many people away from the PS3.

3. Oh is it? I think I remember ioi saying that about 40% of PS3s purchased nowadays in USA are the 40 GB model, are you saying that almost 40% of PS3's recent userbase don't use it for gaming? Got any sources?

2- I'd like to know how well the 360's hard drives sell for comparison. If gamers don't like to change out their hard drives, how many people have purchased the 360 20gig and 120gig hard drives? If a 360 owner knows that they could use more space and purchases a larger hard drive, why can't a PS3 owner do it as well?

3- I'm going to stay away from this one.

ssj12 said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ ssj, in europe the 40GB is the only model avaliable, so that is not just for blu-ray
Anyway, even with a 60GB, the space is not going to last that long if a 5gb install is required. While I agree that in some cases it is a good thing, I do not understand why Uncharted has no install time, and yet has not loading times.

becasue Uncharted might have been beautiful but there was a ton of repeating textures through out so there wasnt a ton of different objects to load. Honestly users could easily just delete the data as the beat the games. Simple. But most games have installs. Resistance's install is ike 700Mb, COD4 I could have sworn has a small file to install. It's all a matter of how much crap needs to be streamed at once. Motorstorm very well needs a 2GB install to improve loadtimes. Simple fact is these might be larger installs then most but most have installs. Just delete data as you beat games or jsut upgrade the HDD. Or by an external HDD, a 1TB external drive is only $200 - $250.

An external hard drive will work, but mainly for the media use of the PS3. I don't think you can install any game demo's or gamedata onto an external hard drive. However, you can backup your saved game data and I think you'd be able to use the PS3's backup feature as well for an external HDD.  

NJ5 said:
ssj12 said:
Stockstar1138 said:
here is my big problem with this whole thing.

1. With GT5:P the majority of copies sold will be blu-ray copies, not PSN downloads. I feel like as the Prologue has never come out in America before, a lot of people are going to see GT5:P and go, "OMG! GT5 is out, mam, can I please have a copy of that" People are going to think Prolouge is a suffix like A-Spec was. They are going to get home, they are going to install all 5GB and not know how to deleate the 3GB of movies. Very few people are going to download this, maybe 10% of consumers I feel like.

2. Most people will not go change out a HDD. People have always associated console gaming as buying a set unit and having to change parts out like a PC. They aren't going to even realize what is wrong and just live with the problem of a full HDD.

3. People who bought the 40GB are going to get pissed off and this isn't good at Sony. PS3 was $600 orignally, now its $400, a lot of people have jumped on the $400 price point. Now in a year, when their HDD is full and they are intelligent enough consumers to realize the problem, they are going to say I paid $400 for this now I need a $100 HDD, wow! I just got screwed by Sony, I'll think twice before buying their products again.

2. it also drives away people from the 360 too then. Microsoft charge $60 more then it needed to on a 120GB HDD was rather pointless.

3. Please see homemediamagazine.com's current Blu-ray vs HD-DVD market share cart. The 40GB PS3 was the cheapest Blu-ray payer when released.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453