By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Lost Planet - 5GB Install

Lost Planet runs on the same engine DMC4 does, so this was to be expected.

Around the Network

Lost planet looks terrible, one of the worst games I have played on the 360. I played the PSN demo and it seems the graphics are not even half as good as the 360 version, very pixalated, and even some lag on the online. I really dont understand, call of duty 4 with barely any loading time took about 6mb of data, and it looks miles better than DMC4/lost planet, why do we need 5gb on our HDD for these games?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

@ ssj, in europe the 40GB is the only model avaliable, so that is not just for blu-ray
Anyway, even with a 60GB, the space is not going to last that long if a 5gb install is required. While I agree that in some cases it is a good thing, I do not understand why Uncharted has no install time, and yet has not loading times.

wow you all use a lot of memory am i the only one who after im completely done with a game and a better one comes out ill delete it the old one? plus im not going to be playing 8 different games at the same time

Munkeh111 - Uncharted does stream. It takes up about 2gb of the PS3s HDD.

Although this is quite a problem, it's not one that will be fixed any time soon. The only thing that Sony could do is say that installing has to be optional, so people can choose to have extra long load times, or to have GBs of data taken up.

Point is, the disc drive in the PS3 is slower than the disc drive in the 360, and so developers need to cache data on the PS3s HDD to bring the load times down.

Around the Network

I dont understand, they cant just put the extra data for loading times on the disc? I mean they have an extra 10GB + to work with.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

No one's gonna buy Lost Planet, so the 5gb install is a moot point. Even if someone did buy the game, I'm sure they would relish the opportunity to purge those 5 gigs of trash once they finished the game. Really, the install makes the game more satisfying at the end.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

SamuelRSmith said:

Although this is quite a problem, it's not one that will be fixed any time soon. The only thing that Sony could do is say that installing has to be optional, so people can choose to have extra long load times, or to have GBs of data taken up.

Point is, the disc drive in the PS3 is slower than the disc drive in the 360, and so developers need to cache data on the PS3s HDD to bring the load times down.

the only slow loading times ive had was Motorstorm but the other game i have is rockband and warhawk but thats on the HDD and rockband seems fine

SamuelRSmith said:

Yes, but you don't have to sit around waiting for it to install first, and you don't notice it at all, and the space is free to stream other games

Honestly, I don't see a big deal in this so I think I'm going to step away from this after my two cents.

It may be a problem if EVERY game is doing it, but I think most (not all - AKA Hot Shots Golf 5) of these games with required installs (and the large installs) have been these Capcom games. So unless you get all of these games with required hard drive installs and play them at the same time, then it could be a problem and I agree that developers probably shouldn't force it on people. However, it's still a good resource seeing as all PS3's have a hard drive.

I still see installing as an advantage for faster load times and such with 20 minutes and 5gigs being smaller and faster than most recent games for PC (... World Of Warcraft or Fear anybody?) The developers are going to have to look into how to best use it rather than force the space on the smaller hard drives on the PS3.

But even then, there is always the hard drive replacement for the PS3 that's not only easy, but also cheap. Comparing that to a $100 or $180 for a 20gig or 120gig hard drive for the 360, I don't really think replacing your hard drive should be any sort of disadvantage. In fact, I think they should market that feature more along with other little known features of the PS3. Heck, I didn't know that you could reset your resolution settings until recently (like one or two months ago recently) so that you don't have to worry about pre-setting the resolution before you move the PS3 from TV to TV.

Anyway, I'm going to step away now because this is getting old.