By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How would you explain VGChartz history?

I first starting using this site when the PS3 and Wii came out to track sales. It had a lot of cool features like weekly updates, and charts to align different consoles from launch. It was really a sales centered site back then and then they slowly started adding new features. Then they got popular enough to be listed on Gamerankings.com for aggregate review scores, and they completely revamped their home page. I used to use VGChartz only for sales, and ign, gamespot, and kotaku for video game related news. Now I never visit, ign, gamespot, or kotaku, and pretty much only check up on VGChartz and N4G (which links to other gaming sites). So yeah, hope this helps.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
ThatGreekGuy said:
Don't know much.
But history must have been made for when Pezus joined.

I'm pretty sure Pezus wasn't all too active for awhile. At least that's what he told me... I think.

The glory from the bountiful, heartwarming and tear-jerking Pezus is more than enough to have quite the big impact in the forums.

<3 Pezus.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
superchunk said:

Wow, thats quite an interesting thing to learn! I didn't know thats why he created it or that he got banned, thats for sure. Vgchartz is better than Neogaf imo

Heres a funny story. When a member got banned from vgc you were linked to neogaf when you tried to log in lol. Or it was something like that. Fun times.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

It was set up as a social hub for doomsayers to share their prophecies. The problem was that by gathering doomsayers, they sentenced each others threads to doom... and here we are today....

edit: btw, i forgot, youre doomed!

Serious_frusting said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
superchunk said:

Wow, thats quite an interesting thing to learn! I didn't know thats why he created it or that he got banned, thats for sure. Vgchartz is better than Neogaf imo

Heres a funny story. When a member got banned from vgc you were linked to neogaf when you tried to log in lol. Or it was something like that. Fun times.

that is an urban myth, i never got banned so i wouldn't know honestly

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

All you need to know is 07/08 users are boss :P

Seece said:
All you need to know is 07/08 users are boss :P

only the first 17.000

i kid, your pretty bossy also

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I remember staring at some counter that showed consoles sold somewhere on the net and thought by myself... 'this can't be right'.
Ended up looking into Vgchartz back when the site was still simple and beautiful. You had to be looking for sales numbers to end up here i guess.

neo gaf 2.0

spurgeonryan said:
Click on hot topics. then click on the filter " last" thread. it will take you to the beginning.

I just did it. There are 5889 pages worth of threads at the time I write this response. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/latest-topics.php?page=5889#content

There's the link so you don't have to go there by yourself.

Up to what I've seen, a few years back PS3 was absolutely doomed, blu-ray was unnecessary, it had no games and it was going to die quickly with no chances of redemption. Also, at the same time, it seemingly  was the most powerful console ever thanks to the power of the cell, it was going to overcome PS2 in sales selling more than Wii and 360 combined in the proccess, the Blu-Ray was so good the Xbox360 would be quickly outdated, and so on.

The Xbox360 on the other hand, was doomed because of the RROD and such, paying for online, it was less powerful than PS3, and only got ahead because it was released early; PS3 was going to destroy it! BUT other people believed that the technical failures would be soon fixed and that it would demolish the competence because of a superior online, better games and more support, it was cheaper because it didn't have the unnecesary and overly-expensive Blu-Ray format, and blah blah.

Finally, the Wii was going to fail because motion controls were only a gimmick and people would get over it too quickly, it was too weak (Didn't even support HD, oh my!) and only received cheap ports, and, of course, hardcore gamers laughed at motion controls, they were ridiculous and who needed them anyway? Nintendo had to discontinue the Wii and release a new HD console by 2008, or else they would go bankrupt. Still, a select group of people predicted that the Wii was going to sell 200.000.000 units and make the PS2's sales look like shit, graphics weren't necesssary to enjoy a game, it had the best Nintendo games ever, and a game didn't need blood, big guns and over-exagerated violence to be hardcore! Then Madworld came by, but that still was a fact!!!

All in all, the console wars raging in the forums was almost the same thing that nowadays. Good to see in the end all consoles did just fine.