By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Truly scary games

Garcian Smith said:
NYANKS said:
damkira said:

Sadness looked like it might actually be scary, although it will probably never get made. It keeps getting pushed back and the developer (Nibris) has yet to release any game at all.

Wow, I looked up this game Sadness, and it looks realllly awesome. This is one of the first Wii games I am genuinely interested in (aside from Brawl). I love the premise, the alleged atmosphere, all black and white?! A gothic horror with no symbols on screen (HUD, etc.) and a save system that does not let you know when it saves? Pretty awesome. The girl Maria in the trailer is beautiful, by the way.

It's also, sadly, probably vaporware. :( The developer has supposedly been working on it since late 2006, and we don't even have a single in-engine screenshot.

I don't think it's vaporware, apparently the studio that was supposed to help backed out on "artisitic differences" and were in talks with a new one.

Around the Network

REmake scared me more than anything else I've ever played. Damn those dogs!

Mummelmann said:
Penumbra Black Plague is pretty darn freaky at times...
I also thought Condemned was scary, had a really chilling and realistic atmosphere!
Silent Hill is a classic, and the two first ones made a standby potty mandatory...

I've only heard about it and have seen a couple of short videos. How is that game? It looks a little freaky. 

ikilledkenny said:
REmake scared me more than anything else I've ever played. Damn those dogs!

lol, or how about wondering why the dead zombies bodies don't go away when you've taken them down. . . Only to realize that thirty minutes later, he gets back up and runs at you with glowing eyes and claws.

IllegalPaladin said:
T013 said:
Come to think of it, I once played this flash game (point & click) called Exmortis. It was pretty darn scary... but of course console games are different.

Oh my god Exmortis freaked me out. Have you played the second one? That one had a moment or two where I screamed (in the vent trying to light the lighter......)

Yeah I played the second one. The vent was really, REALLY scary indeed. So were the alternative ending and Gwen's room in part 1. It's positively the best flash game I ever played. Do you know Purgatory? It's a kind of smaller version of Exmortis, made by the same guy... it has truly creepy things, like the mutilated doll, the ending, and especially the hauntingly merry tune.

I can advise everyone to check these (short) games out at midnight or so, when it's totally dark and you're alone... I found them on www.newgrounds.com , they're great.

I drink your milkshake.

Around the Network

Condemned

It made me shiver...when i was younger....

GooseGaws said:
It probably wouldn't have the same impact now, but the first time I played through Silent Hill I made sure to do it in total darkness during the dead of night. It was seriously freaky.
 i did this when i was 15....OMG the music and statics build the suspense up so much it makes you want to go bat @#$% crazzy-----but man was it fun 

mesoteto said:
GooseGaws said:
It probably wouldn't have the same impact now, but the first time I played through Silent Hill I made sure to do it in total darkness during the dead of night. It was seriously freaky.
i did this when i was 15....OMG the music and statics build the suspense up so much it makes you want to go bat @#$% crazzy-----but man was it fun

The part in the reverse school (I believe) was scarry in the locker room. I remember playing that part years ago where there was a cat in the locker in the 'normal' version and there was blood coming out of the locker in the 'nightmare' version. Despite banging in the locker, there was nothing in there and you let out a sigh of relief when all of a sudden.... a body bursts out of another locker and smacks the floor...

argh 

Fatal Frame series
Silent Hill 2
Condemned because its great use of settings. I loved the store with moving men in Santa masks.

Games like a good horror film need to be played in the right setting. I play these games alone at night with my surround sound and lights off. It is the only way I will play these kind of games.
I know a couple people who say some of these games are not scary because they do not play like I do. I always tell them that there is no purpose of playing the game if you do not play it the right way.

PLAYSTATON NETWORK: BLOODLINEZ

IllegalPaladin said:
mesoteto said:
GooseGaws said:

The part in the reverse school (I believe) was scarry in the locker room. I remember playing that part years ago where there was a cat in the locker in the 'normal' version and there was blood coming out of the locker in the 'nightmare' version. Despite banging in the locker, there was nothing in there and you let out a sigh of relief when all of a sudden.... a body bursts out of another locker and smacks the floor...

argh

i know and the little girl voice when your daughter callls..........still gives me the creeps

and this music....ahhh i still have trouble listening to it