By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - As the domino's begin to fall....

Snufft said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"So Blue Ray has won thanks to the PS3"

Wrong. Regardless of the fact that HD-DVD isn't discontinued yet, the PS3 is not the reason blu-ray is doing so well. Retailer shutout of HD-DVD, but mainly a flood of output, are the reason blu-ray is in the lead.

If anything, the PS3 drove as many people to HD-DVD as it did to help blu-ray.

K there kid, keep trying to keep your head above water...constant struggle isn't it?

LordTheNightKnight is full of BS.  Don't pay attention to him.  I used to argue with himawhile back when HD-DVD still had a chance.  He seems to be delusional.

Around the Network
Snufft said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Wrong. Regardless of the fact that HD-DVD isn't discontinued yet, the PS3 is not the reason blu-ray is doing so well. Retailer shutout of HD-DVD, but mainly a flood of output, are the reason blu-ray is in the lead.

K there kid, keep trying to keep your head above water...constant struggle isn't it?

Because I said blu-ray was losing in that post, no wait. I didn't. I just corrected the factors it is winning. You just showed you don't even read posts right. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Auron said:
Snufft said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

LordTheNightKnight is full of BS. Don't pay attention to him. I used to argue with himawhile back when HD-DVD still had a chance. He seems to be delusional.

Really showed you didn't actually read my posts. Look at what I typed. And if you think I'm full of it, then why does engadget state those are the factors blu-ray is ahead, and not the PS3? 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Lord of the night knight is making a perfectly relevant point. Whilst both Blu-Ray and HD DVD were competing with eachother, they were both also trying to fight a much larger battle for mass-market adoption.

If you think Blu-Ray or HD DVD are anywhere NEAR mass market adoption you are sadly mistaken.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Lord of the night knight is making a perfectly relevant point. Whilst both Blu-Ray and HD DVD were competing with eachother, they were both also trying to fight a much larger battle for mass-market adoption.

If you think Blu-Ray or HD DVD are anywhere NEAR mass market adoption you are sadly mistaken.

Thank you. And the mass market has been one of my points since before I even started an account here. It's just that so many got caught up in the format war, they're ignoring the big picture. If blu-ray were the one to fall, I would call the HD-DVD supporters idiots just the same. 

Around the Network

Certainly winning the format war give the PS3 a much better value proposition. It'll help it vs 360 for sure. The same people who want to play games in HD on their HD TV will also be inclined to be interested in Blu-ray.

However, most PS360 owners didn't even know their system was HD in a recent poll.

But it won't be a big seller feature overall.

A lot of people are content with DVDs and will have an upconverting player anyway.
Blu-ray movies are also too expensive still.
A lot of people get HD TVs not for HD but because of size. HD is irrelevant to them.
Most Wii owners own HD TVs (as per world wide Wii vote channel results). People don't seem to care about HD content by and large.

Digital distribution is on the horizon, or already available. In fact, it's available on PS3 and 360. Which makes Blu-ray kind of irrelevant doesn't it?

So HD DVD death will help PS3, but Blu-ray vs DVD is not as great a change as DVD vs VHS. It won't be a foregone conclusion that Sony wins now. They'll still have to earn it.

Gamerace said:
Certainly winning the format war give the PS3 a much better value proposition. It'll help it vs 360 for sure. The same people who want to play games in HD on their HD TV will also be inclined to be interested in Blu-ray.

However, most PS360 owners didn't even know their system was HD in a recent poll.

But it won't be a big seller feature overall.

A lot of people are content with DVDs and will have an upconverting player anyway.
Blu-ray movies are also too expensive still.
A lot of people get HD TVs not for HD but because of size. HD is irrelevant to them.
Most Wii owners own HD TVs (as per world wide Wii vote channel results). People don't seem to care about HD content by and large.

Digital distribution is on the horizon, or already available. In fact, it's available on PS3 and 360. Which makes Blu-ray kind of irrelevant doesn't it?

So HD DVD death will help PS3, but Blu-ray vs DVD is not as great a change as DVD vs VHS. It won't be a foregone conclusion that Sony wins now. They'll still have to earn it.

I agree with all but digital distribution. That isn't proven yet. 

Let's say this: N.o.! Ps3 will not win the war because of Blu-ray. It won't even win the War! (though it will do massive numbers in life.) the wii has built to far up ahead! and that gap is widening not shrinking!

(especially in Japan where Wii is King at the moment! Wii is also impressing people in Sony dominated territory! Europe! )

Now it willl definitely detroy 360 no doubt! (end of story.) the 360 is american! foreign countries don't care really! (i'm sorry for sounding harsh.)

but realize, dvd did wonders for Ps2 cause people were just getting out of the vhs which was very old and tiring. the dvd is still the best. Blu-ray won't beat dvd. if blu-ray was the dvd instead and it was 2001 when people were leaving vhs tapes, the ps3 would be well over maybe 20 million at this point! but it's not so it is just imagination.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
daactualfact said:
Let's say this: N.o.! Ps3 will not win the war because of Blu-ray. It won't even win the War! (though it will do massive numbers in life.) the wii has built to far up ahead! and that gap is widening not shrinking!

(especially in Japan where Wii is King at the moment! Wii is also impressing people in Sony dominated territory! Europe! )

Now it willl definitely detroy 360 no doubt! (end of story.) the 360 is american! foreign countries don't care really! (i'm sorry for sounding harsh.)

but realize, dvd did wonders for Ps2 cause people were just getting out of the vhs which was very old and tiring. the dvd is still the best. Blu-ray won't beat dvd. if blu-ray was the dvd instead and it was 2001 when people were leaving vhs tapes, the ps3 would be well over maybe 20 million at this point! but it's not so it is just imagination.

Although the 360 does have a lead in software that will be hard to overcome (although it's close).

Yet the fact that both systems have profitable gaming divisions (again for one and finally for the other) likely means both will walk away with something. 

PS3 will do well in both mediums... Blu ray and Games. Together they will appeal to a wider audience like the ps2 did. Once Blu ray is up and running its solo career, and the games keep coming. I see domination for the ps3 and yes - will take down the wii eventually, in life time sales :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil