By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did DMC4 360 really outsell the PS3 version in EU?

edjevink said:
DMC4 is probably just a game that the Xbox 360 owners in Europe like. I mean the 360 install base is still bigger in Europe, so why would the numbers be wrong?

Besides, i don' t think the Swedish and The Netherlands(where i'm from) markets are that big of a deal for the total numbers. Plus your other examples with PES 2008, Burnout and Assassin's Creed are all games in a different genre. Why would it be the same with DMC4.

Just wait for the numbers we get on monday to see if they were right. What i do think is that the PS3 version has longer legs in Europe than the 360 version. But we'll see.

I think the UK is the exception due to various factors, both versions hit the UK top 5 though (unlike in Germany), but the 360 version outsold the PS3 version due to the 360 still having a larger install base there and probably because the 360 version sells cheaper.

It's good to stay humble with regard to the infuence of your own country, but Sweden and the Netherlands combined with other small countries like Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Protugal, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, Poland, etc, etc is still a force to be reckoned with!

712 million people live in just Europe. The main markets UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain combined adds up to only 60 + 82 + 64 + 59 + 45 = 310 million, less than half of the European population!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

From the PAL thread, another country where DMC4 for the PS3 outperforms the 360 version like I expected, The Netherlands:

1 1 MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (Nintendo DS) NINTENDO
2 2 10 MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (Wii) SEGA
3 new 1 DEVIL MAY CRY 4 (PS3) CAPCOM
4 new 1 DEVIL MAY CRY 4 (XBOX 360) CAPCOM
5 1 2 BRAIN TRAINING (Nintendo DS) NINTENDO
6 3 2 MORE BRAIN TRAINING (Nintendo DS) NINTENDO
7 7 12 SUPER MARIO GALAXY (Wii) NINTENDO
8 4 3 BURNOUT/PARADISE (PS3) ELECTRONIC ARTS
9 new 1 MATHS TRAINING (Nintendo DS) NINTENDO
10 new 1 MARIO PARTY (Nintendo DS) NINTENDO

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

well, seeing you're a rabid ps3 fanboy, I can't really beleive you can I? You also forget about the fact that xbox360 has a bigger install base in asian countries that aren't japan.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
well, seeing you're a rabid ps3 fanboy, I can't really beleive you can I? You also forget about the fact that xbox360 has a bigger install base in asian countries that aren't japan.

Well first of all I am not boy, you're a 15 year old boy. And I prefer to be called a tech enthusiast, thus my interest in the PS3.

With regard to the 360 having a bigger install base at this point in Asian countries I have no exact data on that, other than having read statements that the PS3 is overall considerably outperforming the 360 there, while the PS2 still reigns supreme.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB, since you're always questioning PS3 numbers, constantly claiming them to be undertracked, why do you even still come to this place? Ioi's data shows more or less a tie in sales for the game and you have no hard data to support your claim other than your feeling the PS3 title outsold the 360 version.

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
MikeB, since you're always questioning PS3 numbers, constantly claiming them to be undertracked, why do you even still come to this place? Ioi's data shows more or less a tie in sales for the game and you have no hard data to support your claim other than your feeling the PS3 title outsold the 360 version.

I am not always questioning VGChartz figures, but I try to help when I spot clear indications something is wrong, like seems to be the case here. I trusted VGChartz with regard to North American, Australian and UK data until Chart Track, NPD and newspapers reported other data.

I love VGChartz' efforts and it's nice to be able to talk about game and console sales on a dedicated forum. I would just hope the fanboys here would be more open to discussion. The more research you guys help with the better, the fewer personal cheapshots (if additional data does not suit your personal wishes) the better as well.

PS3 vs 360 sales

In UK they sold 60-40...the PS3 version outselling the 360 one in all the other countries for sure compensates this gap and more.PS3 version sold better overall.

I would wait for the US numbers and see what the ratio is. If it's closer to 1:1 than 3:1 in the US then the EU is a done deal for the PS3 version.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

MikeB - ever notice that the UK is a much, much larger market than the markets your talking about, and *maybe* the fact the UK version sold about 1.5:1 would be enough to merely send the X360 version 4,000 units over the PS3?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@MikeB: I think you should stick only to DMC related charts. The charts with Burnout/AC doesn't have to mean that PS3 version of DMC also wins, DMC4 is sold at higher price in many countries.

On topic: it's possible but of course not easy to prove. Now we have only limited data:
1) X360 version won in UK with ratio 61:39. DMC is succesful in UK so this is very important.
2) PS3 version won easily in Germany but DMC wasn't as succesful there as in UK. Germany market size (console) is around 1/4 size of UK. So DMC probably didn't sell enough compestate UK. My guess is than DMC sold in Germany 15% of what it sold in UK (from which most is PS3 version).
3) Sweden and Netherlands aren't that big and PS3 version won there by only one place.

Wait for Italy, Spain and especially France which is second biggest market in Europe. You cannot add to your list countries for which you have no real data.