By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the PS+ "free games" the crack that will bring down the industry?

Devs agree to it so it must be profitable...

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
Devs agree to it so it must be profitable...

Yes, they agree, since it helps keep their games in the market for a little more time. Maybe earn them a couple of bucks through DLCs. But what will they think if it starts "cutting" off them some day-1 sales?

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Well if something is "too good to be true" then there must be a catch to it...

Btw you can always go to Nintendo if you want to spend money. Their game prices don't usually go down and the Club Nintendo rewards tend to be kinda crappy.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

GamechaserBE said:
Games like sleeping dogs are not selling anymore so giving them away for free will probably end up people buying it's dlc and gaining money that they otherwise wouldn't...

Sony does give money to the devs for putting their games on PS+. so in the case of Bioshock infinite. 2K made money from the sales they made at launch, but lets say legs arent too strong and they expect to make like 3 million dollars in sales. sony could come in and say "well, here is 3 million and lets put it on PS+". 2K would make MORE money this way, since it would continue selling to non PS+ members and they would have made the 3 million they thought they would. and it would put the game in more peoples hands, so if a new game comes out, PS+ members would have broadend the audience for the game. so it helps with marketing and generating revenue. this is just a hypothetical example, of course. 

also, as you said, it opens the door to more money from DLC purchases. 

UltimateUnknown said:
Your argument can also be used in a similar fashion to say that if I wait a year and two and not buy a game day one, then I'll be rewarded for my patience by being able to buy the game for 50-75% reduced price. If everyone followed that same train of thought, there would be no day one sales because why would you pay double or triple the price when you can just wait a while?

The point of PS+ is that by giving away a plethora of games at low cost, there is a chance that one of these older games will become your new personal favourite for which you'll buy DLC or the sequel. Personally, I would have never bought a game like Soul Sacrifice, but because PS+ gave it away, I now am hooked and will buy whatever sequel comes out day one, expanding the market for an otherwise unappreciated game.

Well, this is exactly what I do, although I understand I'm in the minority. With a huge backlog, I can afford to wait a few months. For example, on Black Friday I got The Last of Us for $25, BioShock Infinite for $20, Borderlands 2 for $15, etc. Earlier this year I got Ni No Kuni for $20, Halo 4 for $10, etc. You don't usually have to wait long.

And I kind of get what the OP is saying. I've bought zero physical Vita games because I'm banking on them arriving "free" on PS+. I've also cut my PS3 purchases in half because of all the great games available through PS+. I'm seriously considering returning BioShock Infinite and Borderlands 2 since both are on PS+, although I imagine I'll like them so much I'll want to keep them in perpetuity.

Around the Network
kabamarutr said:

Each and every month, PS+ offers several games to its subscribers for no extra cost. Some of them are AAA titles, heavy games that (should) sell many pieces day-one.

Now let's put the pieces together: A patient gamer does not have to buy every title day-1. All he/she has to do, is wait several months and play it for free. For a meager 50 bucks you get a full library and a backlog that will keep you from buying new games every couple of months. Exception to the above, are personal favourites which we all need to get as soon as possible.

The question now stands. Out of those 50 bucks what profit does Sony make? Even more so, what does the game developper/publisher get out of it. If the situation described above becomes trend, should that not mean that devs will earn significantly less money? That they will reduce production values to meet decreased income? Sony will perhaps need to spend more to acquire those games for PS+, reducing the quality of the games offered or even reducing the quality of the services.

All things considered, if devs and publishers find console market unrewarding, should they not move to other gaming markets like tablets and smartphones? Devs that now bring us diamonds like Bioshock:Infinite and Brothers: A tale of two sons, will be instead making variation of Bejewelled?

Sorry but, what is your argument, what are you trying to say? I dont see your point. You ask the question whether ps+ will bring down the industry and dont back it up with evidence that could lead to it. You immediatly assume a gamer will rather wait months to buy a game, because you know, somehow you also assume that every AAA game will come to PS+, to make it even more ridicilous: the game going to PS+ would be in a fixed timeframe and the gamer will exactly know when a game comes on ps+

Are you for real? When games like GTA V and TLOU break sales records, how the hell can you even claim that a patient gamer does not have to buy games day 1? There will always be enough people to buy it, it will have sales, even on psn. And when a publisher sees that her game hasnt got legs, then it makes sense to put it on ps+.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Your argument can also be used in a similar fashion to say that if I wait a year and two and not buy a game day one, then I'll be rewarded for my patience by being able to buy the game for 50-75% reduced price. If everyone followed that same train of thought, there would be no day one sales because why would you pay double or triple the price when you can just wait a while?

The point of PS+ is that by giving away a plethora of games at low cost, there is a chance that one of these older games will become your new personal favourite for which you'll buy DLC or the sequel. Personally, I would have never bought a game like Soul Sacrifice, but because PS+ gave it away, I now am hooked and will buy whatever sequel comes out day one, expanding the market for an otherwise unappreciated game.

Well, this is exactly what I do, although I understand I'm in the minority. With a huge backlog, I can afford to wait a few months. For example, on Black Friday I got The Last of Us for $25, BioShock Infinite for $20, Borderlands 2 for $15, etc. Earlier this year I got Ni No Kuni for $20, Halo 4 for $10, etc. You don't usually have to wait long.

And I kind of get what the OP is saying. I've bought zero physical Vita games because I'm banking on them arriving "free" on PS+. I've also cut my PS3 purchases in half because of all the great games available through PS+. I'm seriously considering returning BioShock Infinite and Borderlands 2 since both are on PS+, although I imagine I'll like them so much I'll want to keep them in perpetuity.This

This.

I honestly think Sony pays well for the games they give away. The program was put in place to get back some of the lost marketshare to MS. I would wager if/when Sony gets back on top the program will be much crappier and offer a lot less than it has in the past. Sony is likely losing money on PS+ so they can make money on hardware and other new software royalties. DLC is also a stream of revenue for these games.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Turkish said:
kabamarutr said:

Each and every month, PS+ offers several games to its subscribers for no extra cost. Some of them are AAA titles, heavy games that (should) sell many pieces day-one.

Now let's put the pieces together: A patient gamer does not have to buy every title day-1. All he/she has to do, is wait several months and play it for free. For a meager 50 bucks you get a full library and a backlog that will keep you from buying new games every couple of months. Exception to the above, are personal favourites which we all need to get as soon as possible.

The question now stands. Out of those 50 bucks what profit does Sony make? Even more so, what does the game developper/publisher get out of it. If the situation described above becomes trend, should that not mean that devs will earn significantly less money? That they will reduce production values to meet decreased income? Sony will perhaps need to spend more to acquire those games for PS+, reducing the quality of the games offered or even reducing the quality of the services.

All things considered, if devs and publishers find console market unrewarding, should they not move to other gaming markets like tablets and smartphones? Devs that now bring us diamonds like Bioshock:Infinite and Brothers: A tale of two sons, will be instead making variation of Bejewelled?

Sorry but, what is your argument, what are you trying to say? I dont see your point. You ask the question whether ps+ will bring down the industry and dont back it up with evidence that could lead to it. You immediatly assume a gamer will rather wait months to buy a game, because you know, somehow you also assume that every AAA game will come to PS+, to make it even more ridicilous: the game going to PS+ would be in a fixed timeframe and the gamer will exactly know when a game comes on ps+

Are you for real? When games like GTA V and TLOU break sales records, how the hell can you even claim that a patient gamer does not have to buy games day 1? There will always be enough people to buy it, it will have sales, even on psn. And when a publisher sees that her game hasnt got legs, then it makes sense to put it on ps+.

Take it a little easy, will you? See the reply I gave above and you'll get what my argument is.

bananaking21 said:
GamechaserBE said:
Games like sleeping dogs are not selling anymore so giving them away for free will probably end up people buying it's dlc and gaining money that they otherwise wouldn't...

Sony does give money to the devs for putting their games on PS+. so in the case of Bioshock infinite. 2K made money from the sales they made at launch, but lets say legs arent too strong and they expect to make like 3 million dollars in sales. sony could come in and say "well, here is 3 million and lets put it on PS+". 2K would make MORE money this way, since it would continue selling to non PS+ members and they would have made the 3 million they thought they would. and it would put the game in more peoples hands, so if a new game comes out, PS+ members would have broadend the audience for the game. so it helps with marketing and generating revenue. this is just a hypothetical example, of course. 

also, as you said, it opens the door to more money from DLC purchases. 

Why would they give so much?  Bioshock Infinite doesn't get new shipments anymore, all they make money on is people buying dlc, I doubt Sony give so much.  If 2K gets money it will be based on people downloaded it from PS+..