By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Walmart/Sam's Club have just gone Blu-ray EXCLUSIVE

Blu-ray keeps the punches coming:

Nielsen VideoScan High-Def market share for week ending February 10th, 2008

So much for that trend as according to this week's Nielsen VideoScan numbers courtesy of Home Media Magazine Blu has put red back into the teens with a 81/19 split. It isn't too hard to figure out what 's driving the numbers this week as Warner and Sony take most of the market with new releases and the number three title outselling four by about 2:1. HD DVD's new release did make the top 10 at number nine, but only sold a fourth of what Sony's Across the Universe did -- who'd a thought it'd be number one though. Next week is going to be a lot of the same, but with so many HD DVD sales going on, we'd be very surprised if red wasn't back out the teens. But with every week that goes by and Paramount and Universal fail to announce new titles, we just can't help but believe that all these rumors that the end is near for HD DVD are true.

Around the Network

I'm glad there's an obvious winner in site. I'd planned on buying a ps3 when it was clear bluray was the way to go so now I can without worrying it was the wrong choice.

Though I still think that bluray is going to be relatively niche for the forseable future. I went to my local blockbuster a few days ago and they had half a shelf of bluray and half a shelf of hd-dvd...compared to probably 50-100 shelves of dvd's.

Hopefully now that there's a clear choice that will change and they'll start buying blurays...

I said it before with the roumors of a $99 HD DVD play from Walmart. The way Walmart goes is the we the war will go. This war is now offically over. I wonder when they will start the firesale on HDDVD discs.

For Europe the gap is even bigger, 79% Blu-Ray for 2008 so far.

For Japan, Blu-Ray players account for 96% of all high defintion player sold to date, this excluding sales for the best Blu-Ray player on the market, the Playstation 3! Blu-Ray movies account for ~99% of sales.

Some sources:

http://www.dailytech.com/BluRay+Domination+in+Japan/article10401.htm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33090

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Username2324 said:

So much for that trend as according to this week's Nielsen VideoScan numbers courtesy of Home Media Magazine Blu has put red back into the teens with a 81/19 split. It isn't too hard to figure out what 's driving the numbers this week as Warner and Sony take most of the market with new releases and the number three title outselling four by about 2:1. HD DVD's new release did make the top 10 at number nine, but only sold a fourth of what Sony's Across the Universe did -- who'd a thought it'd be number one though. Next week is going to be a lot of the same, but with so many HD DVD sales going on, we'd be very surprised if red wasn't back out the teens. But with every week that goes by and Paramount and Universal fail to announce new titles, we just can't help but believe that all these rumors that the end is near for HD DVD are true.

Wow, not only is Bluray destroying HDDVD, but the number one title is from none other than Sony Pictures.  Nice insult to add to the injury.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
Username2324 said:

Wow, not only is Bluray destroying HDDVD, but the number one title is from none other than Sony Pictures. Nice insult to add to the injury.

Lol...yep, #1 from Sony...and the other top 4 from Warner.  That just shows how big the Warner switch to blu-ray exclusive really was for the BDA.

I'm just glad we'll be seeing some Universal & Paramount films on blu-ray soon now. 

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Well, after Blu-Ray, we have Digital Downloads, then we have HologramHD, then comes the infamous Virtual Mind Experiance(VME). Then comes the nucular apocolapse, and we are left with VHS again.

I'm going to start stacking up on VHS tapes right now, I'm going to be so ready for this!!!! I'll sell them all and make a fortune!!!

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
halil23 said:
MikeB said:

For Europe the gap is even bigger, 79% Blu-Ray for 2008 so far.

For Japan, Blu-Ray players account for 96% of all high defintion player sold to date, this excluding sales for the best Blu-Ray player on the market, the Playstation 3! Blu-Ray movies account for ~99% of sales.

Some sources:

http://www.dailytech.com/BluRay+Domination+in+Japan/article10401.htm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33090

WHOA!! Interesting.

On OT, PS3 domination start June in NA, confirmed ;P

WOOT! 200 posts :) 

Japan is Toshiba's home market, it was clear for a long time HD DVD was going nowhere, in a worst case scenario the HD battle would carry on for longer than anticipated.

It's funny while looking at the data, how the HD DVD consortium was still trying to spin everything into "Everthing is going excellent!" in 2007... IMO by doing so Toshiba lost a lot of creditability (Microsoft had very little to begin with, so this doesn't matter much).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Smarthouse:

"Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft has already configured a standalone Blu-ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months.

The Company has also been working on a built in Blu-ray player however insiders are claiming that Microsoft see the HD format battle moving online with consumers offered 1080p movie and content files as a download as opposed to having to buy a HD DVD or Blu-ray disc."

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/J7L7H2R4

A Blu-Ray drive for gaming would be fantastic for cross platform development! Hope this is true!

PS3 vs 360 sales

__XBrawlX__ said:
Well, after Blu-Ray, we have Digital Downloads, then we have HologramHD, then comes the infamous Virtual Mind Experiance(VME). Then comes the nucular apocolapse, and we are left with VHS again.

I'm going to start stacking up on VHS tapes right now, I'm going to be so ready for this!!!! I'll sell them all and make a fortune!!!

Sorry, but the nuclear war will totally wipe blank all of your tapes. Put your money on vinyl records.

Paid by the alliance
to slay all the giants.