By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Call of Duty: Ghosts sales decline 'troubling'

Call of Duty: Ghosts is displaying a 'troubling' decline in sales versus its predecessors, according to an industry analyst.

Activision has said previously that it expects Ghosts sales to be down on last year's Black Ops 2 due to the upset of the console transition and they were; November sales showed a drop of 19 per cent year-on-year. But Cowen analyst Doug Creutz has warned investors that the declines could be notably worse than the reported 19 per cent dip would suggest.

"Upon further reflection, we think the [Call of Duty] numbers are a bit more troubling than they first appeared," said Creutz, reportsVentureBeat.

He went on to note that the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Ghosts released almost two weeks earlier in November than Black Ops 2 (November 3 versus November 12 respectively), offsetting a portion of the sales drop which would have otherwise been far worse.

"While the year-over-year gap is only 19 percent thus far, that includes two extra weeks of sales for the 360 and PS3 versions [versus Black Ops II]. Against 2011′s [Modern Warfare 3], where the difference is only one week, the title is down 32 percent life-to-date," said Creutz.

The PS4 and Xbox One versions arrived later in the month, but failed to make up the sales deficit.

"We don't think it is out of the question that the title could wind up comparing down 20 percent to 25 percent year-over-year [to Black Ops II], which is appreciably worse than the down 10 to 15 percent that we think is baked in to guidance," predicted Creutz.

Despite its declines, Activision's FPS series is still in good health; Call of Duty: Ghosts was still the top-selling game in North America in November, according to NPD Figures. It's main rival, EA's Battlefield 4, came in second in the all-format software charts. Full report through that link.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/442762/call-of-duty-ghosts-sales-decline-troubling-says-analyst/

Around the Network

well what the heck to expect when you release one every year.

Black ops 2 is far better than ghost, I don't blame people for skipping the game.

They need a new engine, the one they use now shows its age on next gen. BF4 if it could get fixed from the start could have taken the lead. It looks pretty good on ps4.

Ghost was one of the weakest singleplayer experiences I have had on any COD. Plus its prob the easiest on veteran. I will be playing some multiplayer this weekend, I dont have an opinion on that yet.

Next-gen is not reviving the industry. It's no substitute for making good games.

PS4 and Xbox One's high launch sales are decieving in that respect. They're selling to the existing, well-informed market and therefore not increasing software sales 'just because'.

Around the Network

All games have their decline, at one point PES was better than FIFA, times change. However, the constant year on year abuse of the Call of Duty franchise is not only hurting them but the DLC feels like extortion and the mess that are the MP parts of the games when they release shows these games are not ready. People get put off and just don't buy the next game.

The main campaigns are pointless and needless, I don't enjoy them of those I've played/completed. Multiplayer is where the games strengths are and it would be better if they concentrated on those bits. Make a game that as a MP and Zombies only features, charge £30 not £45 for it and it'll sell a lot more, then DLC might not feel so bad to buy (reduce the cost of that too). A yearly rotation would not be as bad if they did it this way.

But what do we really know? The game is still selling better than nearly all other games.

Hmm, pie.

Battlefield 4 sold 33% less than Battlefield 3 (6,5 mil to 4 mil).

bring on destiny.

am so happy to hear this news thank god these FPS cycle we are going tru is in decline big time weather it be cod bf kz all these nonsense fps need to stop

Well after dissapointment after dissapointment some people got sick with this shit, including me.

But hey, who needs CoD when they have destiny?