By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To Wii U "Haters": Why Do You Think Wii U Will Sell On The Same Level Or Worse Than GameCube?

I don't exactly understand why people think that. If you think Wii U will preform like that, give a good reason why. I think Wii U will sell 30-35 million.

Also, don't use marketing and game droughts in your reasoning. We're past the game drought and Nintendo started marketing.

Around the Network

Because cold, hard data indicates it's not even selling close to the Gamecube right now.

220k for a 2nd November is pathetic, that's not even half of what the GameCube sold it's second November.

And you're right they did start marketing and from August onwards have had a decent release schedule, not to mention a price cut and several new bundles.

That hurts your point, it doesn't help it. 

I used to think 30 mill was a possibility, but now I think that could be incredibly generous. The system is not responding well to price cuts + a better library + better marketing, which indicates a fundamental lack of interest from the consumer. It's just a system that no one but a faction of Nintendo fans is really all that interested in. 

Soundwave said:
Because cold, hard data indicates it's not even selling close to the Gamecube right now.

220k for a 2nd November is pathetic, that's not even half of what the GameCube sold it's second November.

And you're right they did start marketing and from August onwards have had a decent release schedule, not to mention a price cut and several new bundles.

GameCube sold 6 million in It's first year, right? How much did it sell at It's 2 year mark (September 14th, 2003)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=170598&page=-1#1
look at the gamecube numbers then look at the wii u's and be sad

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Nintentacle said:
Soundwave said:

GameCube sold 6 million in It's first year, right? How much did it sell at It's 2 year mark (September 14th, 2003)

I don't have the specific number in front of me, but I do know GameCube is about a million or more units ahead in the US at this point, and I think slightly higher in Japan too for the same time frame. Both sold like hot garbage in Europe, so I don't think that makes a huge difference. 

I think Wii U will need Mario Kart + Smash + another price reduction just to start selling at GameCube levels. 

Around the Network

If we take a look at gamecube's year one sales and compare it to WII Us year one sales you can clearly see the ass whooping the WII U is getting from gamecube. ROFLMAO.

It's actually selling worse than gamecube. Bwahahaha. (I'm being serious here even though I find it hilarious.)

Soundwave said:
Nintentacle said:
Soundwave said:

I don't have the specific number in front of me, but I do know GameCube is about a million or more units ahead in the US at this point, and I think slightly higher in Japan too for the same time frame. Both sold like hot garbage in Europe, so I don't think that makes a huge difference. 

I think Wii U will need Mario Kart + Smash + another price reduction just to start selling at GameCube levels. 

Even then it's not guaranteed to sell at gamecube levels once these things come in effect. Mario kart coming in spring is quite a long way so over the time the WII U should dwindle down even more by that time. 

There's that chart too courtesy of NeoGaf. 

Wii U is DOOMED

chapset said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=170598&page=-1#1
look at the gamecube numbers than look at the wii u's and be sad

I already knew GameCube is tracking ahead of Wii U, but didn't Wii U used to be ahead of PS360? Anything could happen. Remember when Vita was going to dominate? The exact opposite happened.