By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Lost an Estimated $975 Million to Piracy in '07

You know what I find the worst? That there are people thinking they're buying original games but getting actually bootleg crap. Ebay is a haven for that, with mostly junk from Asia.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

This is not bull, the amount isn't exact 100% but people use information to estimate. Thats why businesses have information departments, of course there may be a huge amount of error in that estimate but its a estimate that shows they lost lots of money.

I actually think they lost lots more money, so many people have roms.

Piracy is a natural part of the economy. There are always people who don't want to spend the money but want the product. And before the VC there was legitimate need for the "piracy" of NES and SNES (and other consoles that generation). The fact is emulation shouldn't be illegal nor should homebrew (modchips, firmware hacks, dspass), but distribution should. I bought an NES and The Legend of Zelda, but my NES and cartridge have long since turned to dust. I feel I have the right to still play the game (though Nintendo my feel differently).

The problem is, once again, distribution is always going to be there in some form (back before the internet people used to sell VHS and cassette tapes downtown). There is always going to be that crowd of people.

Everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing. Nintendo is complaining like a mofo and people who don't want to pay for games aren't. I consider that balance. Think of piracy as the virus and Nintendo as the anti-virus. Can you really imagine the world of computing without virus/anti-virus?

I know a person with a modded Wii to play downloaded Wii Roms from online and burns it to DVDs. He has the Japanese version of Smash Bros. Brawl.

I don't agree with it at all. But I don't think Nintendo can really stop it or really slow it. As the Wii popularity grows, so will piracy.

ferret1603 said:
Figures like this are such nonsense. There is no way their loss can be quantified because there's no way of knowing how many people would actually have bought legal copies if pirated ones weren't available.

+1

This sounds almost like the rhetoric that comes from the RIAA/MPAA (a.k.a. the MAFIAA) 

Around the Network

Emulator and ROMs should not be illegal. Nintendo does not manufacture the NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Virtual Boy anymore. How do they expect people to play those generations of games? Even if we buy the system and games second hand, Nintendo won't make a dime off of it. They're just whining about something they don't understand.

As far as the guy from Brazil. With those prices, I give you full permission to pirate all you want because you're being ripped off. That must be why all of the best homebrew comes from Brazil. Your countrymen rule at making characters on M.U.G.E.N. I salute you.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

0_o

*kicks R4 cartridge under sofa*

PSN ID: Sol_Protege     Wii:154209933064989 

ferret1603 said:
Figures like this are such nonsense. There is no way their loss can be quantified because there's no way of knowing how many people would actually have bought legal copies if pirated ones weren't available.
  I agree 100%, there is no way an extra 1 billion worth of games would have been sold without any piracy.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

piracy is a bad thing, dont do it!

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

koopatrooper said:
piracy is a bad thing, dont do it!

I don', but I just buy second hand, and that is just as bad for company profits. :P

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad