By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PopCap: console games have no depth

Ignore this :)

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
PopCap is the company that popularized the casual puzzle genre with Bejeweled, Bookworm, and other titles. They're definitely not nobodies, since every title they put out seems to print money.

What right does a company that makes "casual puzzle games" like Bejeweled have to criticize the depth of anyone else's games?

@ bdbdbd: Ah, shame on me for not reading the full text - and shame on CAVG for posting it with a deliberately provocative title. =P

@ Words of Wisdom: Perhaps the fact that Bejeweled and Bookworm have more depth than most other games out there? I know from experience that everything PopCap makes is horribly addictive - and the fact that their titles have outsold most big-name PC exclusives should say quite a bit.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I get their point to a certain degree. I just feel they said it in a way to just plug their new game, Peggle. The problem is, one man's complexity is another man's depth. How do you decipher the difference? I must say though, Bookworm Adventures is one of the deepest games i've seen, and really should have a better following outside of casual game players like my wife. It's very reminiscent of Puzzle Quest.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Garcian Smith said:
@ bdbdbd: Ah, shame on me for not reading the full text - and shame on CAVG for posting it with a deliberately provocative title. =P

@ Words of Wisdom: Perhaps the fact that Bejeweled and Bookworm have more depth than most other games out there? I know from experience that everything PopCap makes is horribly addictive - and the fact that their titles have outsold most big-name PC exclusives should say quite a bit.
It should say that they're tapping the huge market of people who own a PC but don't play any games more demanding than Solitaire, FreeCell, Minesweeper and whatever else came on their computer. 

Also the people that actually play those "game" ads. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Garcian Smith said:
PopCap is the company that popularized the casual puzzle genre with Bejeweled, Bookworm, and other titles. They're definitely not nobodies, since every title they put out seems to print money.

What right does a company that makes "casual puzzle games" like Bejeweled have to criticize the depth of anyone else's games?

because they are bigger and make more $$$$$ then Blizzard..... 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

MaxwellGT2000 said:
It's all terms that depends on who you talk to, what they see as deep, what I see as deep is where users get to create their own parts of the game and share them easily, like in Star Craft you get to make your own maps in a variety of ways that make that game nearly endless it's all up to the users imagination, then you have Brawl and it's stage editor which will let that game last for years (gives Nintendo more time for licensing characters! haha)

While I do agree that Starcraft's map editor adds depth to the game, to me StarCraft's depth comes much more from the incredible balance between the 3 races and all things that affect battle like terrain, damage type, unit size, spells, etc.  You can go through the game without ever knowing that explosive damage is 50% effective on small unit but if you dig deep enough you find tons of stuff to help you come up with better strategies.

Signature goes here!