By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One eSRAM Readily Available For Any Purpose, Smooths Out Optimization: Dying Light Tech Director

H Funny that this thread has focussed on something that is a mere side comment to the article.

Anyway, isn't is obvious that ESRAM is available for all uses? Isn't that what unified memory means? Both systems have a unified RAM pool available for all uses. PS4's is GDDR5 and Xb one's is DDR3+ESRAM.

So, is there actual news here? Or perhaps the fact that the article is stating the obvious is the reason the thread is talking about a side comment.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
H Funny that this thread has focussed on something that is a mere side comment to the article

I find tangents make for excellent conversation.

thewayofthepath said:
binary solo said:
H Funny that this thread has focussed on something that is a mere side comment to the article

But only when the main subject has no meaning or importance.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
thewayofthepath said:
binary solo said:

But only when the main subject has no meaning or importance.

Strongy disagree.  Interesting subjects yield interesting tangents.

binary solo said:

Isn't that what unified memory means? Both systems have a unified RAM pool available for all uses. PS4's is GDDR5 and Xb one's is DDR3+ESRAM

Technically that is incorrect, as the eSRam "has no address" so it can't be unified per se. The situation is too complex to go into details, but basically the user has to manage the four 8MByte esram blocks at all times, except if you sort-of "abused" the esram as a simple buffer of some type, like frame buffers (bad idea) or back-end buffers (good idea). The phrase "“We haven’t played around with the eSRAM much yet." immediately makes it clear their software is currently struggling with 30Hz, but that is likely the problem for the grunt people to solve, not the tech director, whose job is to say nice things about her/his software.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
binary solo said:

Isn't that what unified memory means? Both systems have a unified RAM pool available for all uses. PS4's is GDDR5 and Xb one's is DDR3+ESRAM

Technically that is incorrect, as the eSRam "has no address" so it can't be unified per se. The situation is too complex to go into details, but basically the user has to manage the four 8MByte esram blocks at all times, except if you sort-of "abused" the esram as a simple buffer of some type, like frame buffers (bad idea) or back-end buffers (good idea). The phrase "“We haven’t played around with the eSRAM much yet." immediately makes it clear their software is currently struggling with 30Hz, but that is likely the problem for the grunt people to solve, not the tech director, whose job is to say nice things about her/his software.

Interesting, so the eSRAM is neither dedicated nor unified. Is that the same situation with the X360's EDRAM?

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
drkohler said:
binary solo said:

Interesting, so the eSRAM is neither dedicated nor unified. Is that the same situation with the X360's EDRAM?

I think the X360 edram is basically managed by the gpu only as a back-end buffer...

Panicnausia said:
More esram fud....Another game that will look better on PS4.

Ok, well, you feel the need to whip your online wang out too easily.

Get it on PC if you are so much for visuals.

ironmanDX said:
Panicnausia said:
More esram fud....Another game that will look better on PS4.

Ok, well, you feel the need to whip your online wang out too easily.

Get it on PC if you are so much for visuals.

Leave my wang out of this please :).

So.......Developers are now coming out of the woodwork and saying that xbox one is pretty simple to develop for.

I like, I like.