By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. It really is no different other than Blu-Ray simply offered upgraded visual/storage technology, while Kinect offers an entirely new approach to UI and gaming.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Around the Network
Akvod said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Agreed.

I argue Bluray in PS3 wasn't necessary, it was very expensive at the time and did little to actually improve the gaming experience. An expense device that doesn't improve the gaming experience... its no wonder why so many people went to the 360.

I fear Kinect is doing the same on X1. Its an expensive device the average consumer may not and it will do little to improve the average gaming experience. Although, I feel Kinect can have a bigger impact on X1 gaming than Bluray ever did on PS3.

But it obviously did have utility, given how it's being used today by both consoles.

Its useful now because of the storage space. It wasn't necessary last gen and hurt PS3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

No, forcing Kinect it's 10 times worse.

Mr Puggsly said:
Normchacho said:
This is a pretty silly comparison...Some people don't like voice controls or don't see the value in spending the extra money for the kinect.

Blu ray is objectivity better than dvd. The only drawback was that it was very expensive when the PS3 launched. It may not have had huge benefits for gamers last gen but the impact that the PS3 blu ray drive had on physical media as a whole and gaming this generation is pretty obvious.

Not really sure how you didn't think of that immediately.

Bluray is indeed better than DVD, but it didn't make 7th gen gaming better.

The only major benefit we saw was the ability to Bluray movies. However, the masses bought a PS3 because they wanted a gaming machine, not a Bluray player.

False. It did for PS3 games, exclusives and even some multiplats.

binary solo said:

Blu-ray wasn't essential, but a disc format of some sort was essential.

Bingo, Bluray wasn't essential is my point. They could have used DVD. That would have made the console significantly cheaper and they would have sold more consoles.

Sony's big motivation was collecting Bluray royalties, not making gaming better.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

If Blu ray is a "peripheral" then so is the the processor, graphics card, and the freaking fan inside the console =/

You made a rather silly comment there. How can you compare a component that makes the console work to a completely optional accesory? Tell me, would you still be able to enjoy your Xbox if Kinect wasn't there? Could you still play the games, browse the web, watch Netflix, etc? Now, could you do any of those things if you took away the blu ray player from the PS3? NO! Because the console wouldn't even turn on! It's utterly ridiculous to compare the benefit that blu ray gave to games since it's a media format built into and not an outside product. Now, had Microsoft built Kinect into the Xbox One and made it a component within the console, you'd have an argument

And you can brag all you want about how Kinect can sign in 5 people and keep your track of your settings....but does it really? I mean, it'll try and sign in your cat

or a pillow on the chair

I wouldn't brag too much about it's facial recognition.

And with regard to the voice commands, do you send text messages via voice or texting them out? I know you know how much error there is in trying to speak out a text message. Don't think just because Xbox is doing it that those same errors won't exist. I prefer just writing it out, and if you want to get really technical, PS has mouse and keyboard support, which is faster than voice commands or using the controller. And if you want to argue "well, M+K is extra. Sony is forcing you blah blah blah" my point still stands. Can you enjoy your PS/XB without K+M or Kinect? The answer is obviously yes.

edit: Not to mention Blu ray was the solution to the #1 game killer - scratched discs. All in all, if you truly want to make a comparison, Blu ray wins. Kinect's advantages are neglible. All it is is an alternate way of doing what you otherwise normally do. Blu ray saved game discs from being scratched, gave devs the space they needed to make games (it started to show later in the gen when 360 had to have multiple discs in many games), gave us HD movies (I don't care what anyone says, the difference between blu ray on an HDTV and DVD on an SDTV is just as much a difference as VHS to DVD), didn't have to split games up into multiple discs (Mass Effect 3 had to have a separate disc for side missions on 360; kinda crappy to have to swap discs just to do a side mission) and more. If you honestly believe all of that has less of an impact than "Xbox: watch ESPN", you're delusional

I don't read long paragraphs.

Kinect is a peripheral and Blu-Ray disc drive is a peripheral.

How many "multiple"games later on required multiple discs?

Most games didn't add DLCs to a second disc, they just delivered them digitally. Moot point.

If swapping discs make your gaming experience crappy try to play NES when the cartridge doesn't want to play.

Mr Puggsly said:
Normchacho said:
This is a pretty silly comparison...Some people don't like voice controls or don't see the value in spending the extra money for the kinect.

Blu ray is objectivity better than dvd. The only drawback was that it was very expensive when the PS3 launched. It may not have had huge benefits for gamers last gen but the impact that the PS3 blu ray drive had on physical media as a whole and gaming this generation is pretty obvious.

Not really sure how you didn't think of that immediately.

The only major benefit we saw was the ability to Bluray movies. However, the masses bought a PS3 because they wanted a gaming machine, not a Bluray player.

Well, there wern't really any gameplay benifits to having Bluray disks. But it sure is nice to not have multiple disks and not have to worry about scratching them.

But like I said, not really the same sort of situation as the kinect.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Weird comparison. Every console needs some kind of data medium to run its games while Kinect is just a needless gadget. Also, technology evolves and advances - GTA for example wouldn't be GTA on a cartrigde or floppy disk.

(Btw., I love retro games)

mutantclown said:
Mr Puggsly said:

False. It did for PS3 games, exclusives and even some multiplats.

Examples please.

I hope you have better examples than disc swaps and sharper video.

Recently Completed

C64 said:
Weird comparison. Every console needs some kind of data medium to run its games while Kinect is just a needless gadget. Also, technology evolves and advances - GTA for example wouldn't be GTA on a cartrigde or floppy disk.

(Btw., I love retro games)

When Sony used CD-ROM and DVD, it made sense because they were reasonably priced technologies.

However, Sony put Bluray in PS3 when it was still very expensive. They had another option that was cheap, DVD.

Recently Completed