By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic focusing on console titles claims PC gaming is currently in "disarray"

Bozotheclown said:
shio said:
Bozotheclown said:
As far as videogames in 2007... $18.85 BILLION was made in North America alone and $910 MILLION was from PC games. ( around 14% )

I'd say PC is niche.

What is the point in adding Wii+PS2+PS3+360+DS+PSP+other against PC? That's just stupid. Especially in US

Regardless, the sales numbers do not lie. 1 billion vs. 18 billions

Actually, the numbers do lie.  They lie quite a bit.  Reasons the numbers lie:

1) The numbers are including money made on hardware, which invalidates them completely.  

2) The numbers don't include sales on digital distribution services like Steam or EA Link, which actually make up the majority of the sales of many PC games these days (See: The Orange Box).  Again, this invalidates them completely.

3) The numbers are for America, which is the smallest major PC gaming market.  Europe and Korea make up the majority of the PC market.  Hell, in Germany, Crysis outsold Super Mario Galaxy. 

Around the Network
Bozotheclown said:
Final-Fan said:
Bozotheclown said:
rocketpig said:
Bozotheclown said:
As far as videogames... $18.85 BILLION was made in North America alone and $910 MILLION was from PC games. ( around 14% )

I'd say PC is niche.

It's really convenient how all 360s, Wiis, and PS3s are included in that number but not a single piece of PC hardware is.

That seems fair. PC gaming may be "niche", but it's a pretty big niche.

If they were singling out PC hardware it would be 100's of .02% numbers. I think they would have to group them all together.

What's your point? PC hardware is not included and console hardware is (sez rocketpig). Including PC hardware would be a nightmare, agreed, so let's remove console hardware and see how the numbers go. What about that, bozo?

Im looking at revenue generated from games.

(PC)1 BILLION vs. (Home console) 18 BILLION

So rocketpig is wrong and you're not including console hardware?  Please show us your source(s). 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Not to mention, as I explained on the last page, the total revenue a developer makes on a game sold in a store is less than half the revenue that developer makes selling the same game for the same price on Steam. Steam and other digital distribution services eliminate the store markup, and leave the developers with nothing but the publishing fees to pay. In a store, a developer gets about 30% of the game's retail price. On Steam, a developer gets about 70% of the game's retail price.

naznatips said:
Bozotheclown said:
shio said:
Bozotheclown said:
As far as videogames in 2007... $18.85 BILLION was made in North America alone and $910 MILLION was from PC games. ( around 14% )

I'd say PC is niche.

What is the point in adding Wii+PS2+PS3+360+DS+PSP+other against PC? That's just stupid. Especially in US

Actually, the numbers do lie.  They lie quite a bit.  Reasons the numbers lie:

1) The numbers are including money made on hardware, which invalidates them completely.  

2) The numbers don't include sales on digital distribution services like Steam or EA Link, which actually make up the majority of the sales of many PC games these days (See: The Orange Box).  Again, this invalidates them completely.

3) The numbers are for America, which is the smallest major PC gaming market.  Europe and Korea make up the majority of the PC market.  Hell, in Germany, Crysis outsold Super Mario Galaxy. 

1.  No,  this is off of video games only.

2.  Digital distribution is obviously included :)

3.  You deny U.S sales being important.

AU FOREVER

shio said:
elnino334 said:
veiam said:
@Elnino: It's not just personal, not one Blizzard game has tanked as far back as I can remember. Meanwhile I have seen Nintendo games sucking. You also have to keep in mind that Blizzard is one company that up until WoW was somewhat small.

Well you have to keep in mind that Nintendo is big which is why they may have more games that may have sucked but overral they have way morere games that rocked. Though you may say is the same game just the zelda series compares to all the blizzard games in terms of quality. Please don't include the cd-i zelda lol. Seriously let me know if anyone else who thinks blizzard has more quality games then Nintendo. Hell take out WoW and Blizzard might not even be here though that is pure speculation.

Starcraft: best and biggest RTS ever.

Warcraft: best and biggest RTS franchise ever.

World of Warcraft: best and biggest MMORPG ever.

Diablo: best and biggest Action/RPG franchise ever.

Heh so which one is the best rts starcraft or warcraft? Those games are great but Nintendo has way more games that have been enjoyed by ALOT more people.  Seriously I don't see how you can compare Nintendo to Blizzard.  Both make great games but Nintendo has made  ALOT more.  Also both Mario and Zelda are rated higher then any of those games.  Again if it is just by your opinion then yeah but by overral sales and ratings Nintendo wipes the floor.  By the way the best RTS in my opinion is ages of empire and best mmo is City of heroes and as far as action/rpg there a number from the snes/genesis days that I enjoyed more.

Around the Network
Bozotheclown said:
shio said:
Bozotheclown said:

I'd say PC is niche.

Now you're just being ridiculous. You're combining 6+ different platforms, including hardware and software, versus software of one platform. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Bozotheclown said:

1. No, this is off of video games only.

2. Digital distribution is obviously included :)

3. You deny U.S sales being important.

You have yet to provide any source for your ridiculous assertion.  Please do so now.

The which developer is better debate needs to stop. It's very off-topic. If you want to argue about developers, make a topic about it. Don't argue here. This topic is about the state of PC gaming as a profitable enterprise.

rocketpig said:
Bozotheclown said:
shio said:
Bozotheclown said:

I'd say PC is niche.

Now you're just being ridiculous. You're combining 6+ different platforms, including hardware and software, versus software of one platform. 

Console Vs. PC

Console is winning.  Maybe PC needs to step it up?

The numbers do not lie.

Naznatips wanted me to leave because I think PC gaming is slowly dieing.

Enjoy,  Naznatips. :)

AU FOREVER

Bozotheclown said:

Console Vs. PC

Console is winning. Maybe PC needs to step it up?

The numbers do not lie.

Naznatips wanted me to leave because I think PC gaming is slowly dieing.

Enjoy, Naznatips. :) 

So because you don't have a source for your assertion, you are fleeing the topic?  Well I'll give you this, you certainly picked an appropriate username.