By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Aliens: Colonial Marines announced for PC/360/PS3

I haven't read the topic yet, I decided to guess first. Is it, by any chance, an FPS?

Edit: Ding ding ding! We have a winner.  

I think I'm stocked up on FPS games for the year thanks.  With Left 4 Dead coming and me still playing CoD4 and The Orange Box I doubt I'll buy anything else on the FPS front. 

Around the Network

Colonial.
Aliens.
Marines.

I believe I've seen this movie. It opened with lots of flagwaving and a bang in Baghdad, before running into a few thousand IEDs. Apparently the ending isn't a happy one.

It's a squad-based FPS which is an interesting change since most of the current squad-based FPS usually have you fighting terrorists or whatever in an Earth setting.  It could make for some really fun co-op to be instead going up against Aliens in an overrun ship, base, or planet.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200802/N08.0213.1711.09335.htm

"Gearbox Software knows a thing or two about soldiering—its Brothers in Arms games have even been used to recreate key World War II battles on the History Channel. With those kind of qualifications, it seems like they’d be the perfect developer to tackle a game about Marines. Make that United States Colonial Marines. You got it—Aliens: Colonial Marines is invading consoles and PCs in 2009. We have a world-exclusive first look at the squad-based FPS, which aims to recapture the tension and desperation of the earlier films. Check out the first-ever screens of the game in action. If that’s not enough, we have the first look at Cryptic Studios’ latest superhero MMO, Champions Online. The City of Heroes developers are taking on PCs and consoles, too, letting us all unleash our inner heroes—or villains. We also take Red Faction: Guerrilla apart, getting an in-depth look at the game’s amazing destructible environments. Read about these games and much, much more in the new issue of Game Informer—the first place you’ll see God of War: Chains of Olympus reviewed."

I like Gearbox. This could be good!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Squad based FPS huh?

Ok I'll probably try this one out ..I

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

So this is like Left 4 Dead with the Aliens franchise right? Either way I'm getting it.

I'm disappointed hearing it's a squad FPS. I had a vision that this could be the reimagining of the Atari Jaguar classic Aliens vs. Predator. No I'm not kidding. It was the only game I enjoyed on that system. It was on one large space freighter. You can be a marine, alien or predator. Each played completely different. It was all about exploring the freighter and shooting whatever came at you. Aliens played more strategic because you can lay eggs in places so if you die, you can be reborn wherever you layed the egg at. Pure genius that game was.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

SeriousWB said:
So this is like Left 4 Dead with the Aliens franchise right? Either way I'm getting it.

I could be wrong but I think its more Brothers in Arms than L4D.  Basically the squad is AI controlled rather than being controlled by other people.

To Each Man, Responsibility

How many of you have seen Aliens?

Note: I hadn't, until two weeks ago.

Sqrl, how about like Ghost Recon maybe? I have't played BiA.

@Entroper: The question should be, how many of you haven't seen Aliens? I've seen them all, played near every game along with the Predator crossovers.