By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Wii maintain sales pace

Nintendo will surely increase production. They are still selling out even without the release of big games, and they'll have to stockpile for:

- the chinese/korean launch
- the holiday season (with more territories than last year)

It's utterly impossible to satisfy demand while being able to stockpile enough units for those events.

I'll say they'll increase production to 2.5 million per month, at the very least.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I think the Wii will sell around a million units a week starting around October. Its managing 500k without a major release in NA and Europe, just think of how well it will sell when SSBB and MKW come out. There will be no stopping it. Its already outsold the Gamecube. It will outsell the NES by this time next year.

Considering what it sold last week I think we can assume 300-600K per week during the non holiday sales period, depending on supply mostly

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Completely random question that may not be easy to research but is there a record for home consoles before a price cut?

The Wii has been supply constrained for over a year and even when they hit supply=demand a price drop still seems far into the future as it is completely unnecessary.

Speaking of fads, yesterday I saw a Tickle-Me-Elmo for the first time. I guess it was a mostly american fad.

Around the Network
azrm2k said:
Completely random question that may not be easy to research but is there a record for home consoles before a price cut?

The Wii has been supply constrained for over a year and even when they hit supply=demand a price drop still seems far into the future as it is completely unnecessary.

I don't know I think the NES, but that was because they kept releasing new bundles at 199

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I'm amazed at the creativity expressed by the "Wii is just a fad" people.
Really, they find so much ways to stealth troll, I find that very impressive.
Especially since they're never tired of it.
Bravo !

kingofwale said:
But all this is pointless if Nintendo can't produce 2 million units per months like they PROMISED over 1 years ago.

isn't it a bannable offense to blatantly post lies on this forum?

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

to OP: yes, demand is well above 2mil or even 2.5mil/month
to konn: there won't be a price drop this year...wii is already underprice, hence the $350 selling price on ebay/craigslist

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

We won't be seeing 200k weekly in the Americas, that's for sure. This week was probably a bit higher than most non-holiday weeks will turn out to be (God help the other consoles if it isn't!) It's probably more realistic that we'll see in the range of 300-350k weekly in the slow months of the year. That's an increase of 100k/week over last year, when the Wii very consistently did 200-250k every week during the spring, summer, and early fall.

The holidays will spike numbers upwards, and raise the average weekly sales over the 400k range. All told, we should definitely see over 20m Wiis sold this year. I predicted sales of 23m (for 42m lifetime) in 2008, and I'm pretty happy with my prediction thus far.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)