By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Proving Sony didn't sell (but shipped) 1 million units in UK

Sony's got so many people confused that the general public thinks Sony releases actually sales numbers and Nintendo/Microsoft only release shipped.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

We all know that Sony never sells anything, they only ship product. There is some strange method involving time warps, worm holes, and wizard brew that gets it into our gaming hands.

mmnin said:
We all know that Sony never sells anything, they only ship product. There is some strange method involving time warps, worm holes, and wizard brew that gets it into our gaming hands.

This is actually a true story! My friend knows a guy who's sister is best friends with the person who interviews surfer girl!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:
mmnin said:

This is actually a true story! My friend knows a guy who's sister is best friends with the person who interviews surfer girl!

You know that guy as well, what a small world.  Well the new updates have PS3 just short of 1mil so i guess technically the TC is correct.  But practically given margin of error the topic has failed.

This is really stupid, it's already been proven in the other thread that it was sold to consumers, but people are still trying to twist it into shipped numbers. Seriously, just accept what Chart-Track and Sony have confirmed, instead of creating conspiracy theories.

Chart-Track:

"The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2."

MCV

Sony:

"Apart from confirming that the figure refers to units sold, rather than shipped to retail, the company was reluctant to offer any other details or statements – although a major local press event was mentioned as being scheduled for later in the month."

Gamasutra

As for the 754K Screen Digest figure, at the time it was believed Screen Digest was using Chart-Track figures, however, it now seems that they are Screen Digest's own numbers. The 450K "Source #1" listed in the OP also uses Screen Digest as a source. Clearly we can now see Screen Digest figures don't match Chart-Track figures, so we shouldn't use them anymore.

Around the Network

@BKK2:

Yes, you are right. Even if the PS3 did not sell 1 mio. to customer yet, the number should be about at least 950k.... and if 950k or 1 mio. .. come on, i think nobody cares about that ^^.

So, Screen Digest figures are useless. Didn't know the figures Cpt. Smoker used there are Screen Digest figures :(... and didn't know, that they are that far off^^. I'll inform him about that...

So 1 Mio. for PS3 - not bad. But nothing you can really call an "Ownage", even if it outsould the PS2 in the same time frame. Let's see what the future says... ;)

@BKK2 -- what is the other thread?

My guess is the number is close to 1M (between 950M and 1M).
However, given Sony's penchant for fuding numbers, it is not unwise for people to question their statements.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

BKK2 said:
This is really stupid, it's already been proven in the other thread that it was sold to consumers, but people are still trying to twist it into shipped numbers. Seriously, just accept what Chart-Track and Sony have confirmed, instead of creating conspiracy theories.

Chart-Track:

"The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2."

MCV

i heard somewhere that was a misquote and they said something like "ps3 is on track to hit a million before ps2 did"

No Worries People!!! Stop your searching!!

No need to look for those numbers proving that Sony Shipped and not Sold 1 million units anymore!!

http://vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=886

One Million Playstation 3's have been sold at UK retail according to Sony, hitting the mark faster than the Playstation 1 and 2.

“Achieving one million PS3 sales faster than both PSOne and PlayStation 2 is even more gratifying considering PS3 is a premium product introduced at a premium price,” said SCE UK head Ray Maguire.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29792/Sony-hails-retail-as-PS3-hits-1m

Some people say I'm an ass sometimes...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:

No Worries People!!! Stop your searching!!

No need to look for those numbers proving that Sony Shipped and not Sold 1 million units anymore!!

http://vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=886

One Million Playstation 3's have been sold at UK retail according to Sony, hitting the mark faster than the Playstation 1 and 2.

“Achieving one million PS3 sales faster than both PSOne and PlayStation 2 is even more gratifying considering PS3 is a premium product introduced at a premium price,” said SCE UK head Ray Maguire.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29792/Sony-hails-retail-as-PS3-hits-1m

Some people say I'm an ass sometimes...

Haha nice.  I wonder how much of the people above who called you a rabid fanboy who refused to accept that PS3 is selling will come in and admit they were wrong...