By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How to improve the Killzone franchise into a universal critical success?

Tagged games:

1. Stop allowing Guerrilla Games to develop the games.
2. Either commit to a Halo style open world sandbox type FPS or don't.
3. MP needs some heavy tweaking.
4. Hire much better writers for the story. If you aren't going to be a highly popular MP game, you need a strong SP component.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Osc89 said:
pokoko said:
jlmurph2 said:
They need to realize its not just about shooting and looking pretty. You need to have a universe to have great stories, which is why Mass Effect and Halo are critical successes. Plenty of back story and material to work with.

It would appear that you know absolutely nothing about the Killzone universe.  No back story?  Seriously?

That kind of annoys me.

What is the back story? Shadow Fall will be the first one I get so I'm worried I won't get what is going on. Do you need to know what happens in the first 3?

No, you actually don't, as Shadowfall skips into the future after KZ3 and kind of starts its own storyline.

As for the KZ universe and backstory, which the first three games actually didn't get into much, it's all about greed and power.  Basically, the good guys aren't so good and the bad guys are actually somewhat justified.  The Helghast tried to break away from Earth's control but the government didn't want to lose all those valuable resources and profits, so they made an example out of the Helghast.  The crushed them and exiled them on a harsh planet, where they became strong, brutal, and bent on revenge.  It's a story with a lot of parallels with our world.  It's meant to be realistic and political.

Ok so its just a story about 2 groups fighting for four games? Doesn't sound like much of a Universe to me.

EASY, PAY NINTENDO TO LET EAD TOKIO DEVELOP THE GAME!

pokoko said:
Osc89 said:
pokoko said:

It would appear that you know absolutely nothing about the Killzone universe.  No back story?  Seriously?

That kind of annoys me.

What is the back story? Shadow Fall will be the first one I get so I'm worried I won't get what is going on. Do you need to know what happens in the first 3?

No, you actually don't, as Shadowfall skips into the future after KZ3 and kind of starts its own storyline.

As for the KZ universe and backstory, which the first three games actually didn't get into much, it's all about greed and power.  Basically, the good guys aren't so good and the bad guys are actually somewhat justified.  The Helghast tried to break away from Earth's control but the government didn't want to lose all those valuable resources and profits, so they made an example out of the Helghast.  The crushed them and exiled them on a harsh planet, where they became strong, brutal, and bent on revenge.  It's a story with a lot of parallels with our world.  It's meant to be realistic and political.

That sounds pretty cool actually. I like the sound of the more human angle, given so many sci fi games use aliens. Plus the ambiguity sounds interesting, I hope the story is more interesting than the reviews are giving it credit for.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Put a chainsaw at the end of the gun, boom! 6 million sold right there.

Around the Network

Ditch the ISA/Vekta scum, let us play as the opressed Helghast. Re do everything they did right in KZ2.

Locknuts said:
Let ND do it.

As much as I like Uncharted they haven't really accelled with the shooting machanics. The shooting aspect may actually be one of the weaker aspects of the franchise.  So no I don't believe them working on a FPS would help.  They could make the story good and bring some innovative surprises but as for gameplay i dont know.  I'd trust Bungie over anybody personally.

And I don't think Killzone will ever get another chance like they did with ShadowFall.  The multiplayer still sounds great so who cares about the numbers beyond that.

TheEspionage said:
Locknuts said:
Let ND do it.

As much as I like Uncharted they haven't really accelled with the shooting machanics. The shooting aspect may actually be one of the weaker aspects of the franchise.  So no I don't believe them working on a FPS would help.  They could make the story good and bring some innovative surprises but as for gameplay i dont know.  I'd trust Bungie over anybody personally.

And I don't think Killzone will ever get another chance like they did with ShadowFall.  The multiplayer still sounds great so who cares about the numbers beyond that.

Go play The Last of Us and notice the tension and feeling of the gunplay there. Each hit actually throws your character back and the whole thing just feels like No Country For Old men.

Tl:dr =>
You're wrong.

Apparently the lack of great story aspect is almost unanimous.

A big and rich Universe is not material enough, you need a good writer (see TLOU) to implement it adequately, with emotion, in a game.

Aldro said:

Go play The Last of Us and notice the tension and feeling of the gunplay there. Each hit actually throws your character back and the whole thing just feels like No Country For Old men.

Tl:dr =>
You're wrong.

I love the Last of us xD  But the multiplayer was pretty meh.  This puts me back to what i said about the gameplay.  The story was more focused on stealth mechanics with the occasional shooting.  Yes TLoU has great gameplay, but if the entire game was based around shooting i dont know how it would do.  

Don't misunderstand what I am saying.  Uncharted and TLoU obviosly has good gameplay and one reason why they are both two of my favorite games, but their shooting mechanics could be improved as well.  Though I will say TLoU was much better on that fron than Uncharted.