By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Please don't ban me, but this is funny ...

As many of you know, Bruceongames was banned for blog spam. However, he is actually a legit industry type.

I receive a Game Press Daily Digest and lo and behold ... homie was in it!

Here's his entry ...

Bruce on Games Bruce Everiss
"Would you want your child playing a video game that featured harlots 48 times?"

The Bible Vs Video Games

Computer games industry blog, Bruceongames.com, addresses the issue of video game content by comparing games with the Bible.

Warwickshire, February 13, 2008 - Recently, there has been much debate, on both sides of the Atlantic, about the content of video games. Cooper Lawrence's totally misinformed attack on Mass Effect on Fox News, Kevin McCullough being equally misinformed on Townhall.com, Janice Turner of The Times thinks that games are "crack cocaine of the brain" and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has blamed them for knife crime. Even Hillary Clinton has had a go.

What all these critics have in common is that they do not play video games so they don't have the faintest idea what they are talking about, they are as relevant as blind cinema critics.

Now Bruce Everiss, author of the respected and widely read game industry blog Bruceongames.com, has written an article that puts the whole issue into perspective. Entitled The Bible Vs Video Games it compares the content of the Bible, a book which children are encouraged to read, with the content of video games. Would you want your child playing a video game that featured harlots 48 times? Because that is exactly what the Bible does.

Bruce Everiss explains: "Video games are just another form of media like books, film and music. It is the content that matters and it is irrefutable that games have far less sex and violence than books or television. Yet, amazingly, books and television have no age ratings whilst video games do".

Around the Network

He may be legit but that doesn't make him any good (kind of like Pachter).

Is he banned again?

He was back for a while and I was glad that he'd dropped the condescending attitude.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

twesterm said:
He may be legit but that doesn't make him any good (kind of like Pachter).

Yeah, i mean he does have actual credentials. He just sucks at what he does.

Probably do to a need to post something every day as opposed to doing actual legitamite and helpful research.

It'd be like if i tried to review 1 videogame a day.  At some point the reviews are just going to suffer. 

He's wrong too. Gordon Brown does play videogames, he has a Wii which he plays with his son.

Around the Network

I think Bruce without the condescending attitude would be an enrichment to this site. Did he get banned again? I saw him around just this week.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

He got banned for being condescending again and spamming his blog. His ban is a year...personally I want to see him back because I genuinely find his posts entertaining. Especially when he goes on one of his "you fanboys...!" rants.

Also, I checked out doucheongames the first time he got banned and realized that he is legit, but I can't for the life of me figure out what industry "professionals" would actually read that blog. Maybe it was similar to his VGC case, in which he bombarded said professionals with his blog posts and links.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

That is pretty funny.

ClaudeLv250 said:
He got banned for being condescending again and spamming his blog. His ban is a year...personally I want to see him back because I genuinely find his posts entertaining. Especially when he goes on one of his "you fanboys...!" rants.

Also, I checked out doucheongames the first time he got banned and realized that he is legit, but I can't for the life of me figure out what industry "professionals" would actually read that blog. Maybe it was similar to his VGC case, in which he bombarded said professionals with his blog posts and links.

Well he did work for some professionals.  So if he wrote them an email saying "Hey read my blog", and they politely responded back "Will do" whether they intended to or not... he could claim "Industry proffessionals" read his blog.

Heck.  Twesterm develops videogames.  So if he shows one of his co-workers a website... said website can also claim to be read by "Industry Proffesionals."

there are so many things with that article that im not even going to into.

one thing i'll say though Tv and Books both have age ratings and music has an explicit content warning. pretty sure your not suppose to sell to a kid if it has one.