By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

GooseGaws said:
rocketpig said:
In all fairness, I don't know whether Cloud, Squall, or Tidus annoyed me the most.

Either way, I would rather loop the audio voice tracks from Altered Beast through my head for the rest of my life than read or listen to any of those guys talk ever again.

While I appreciate the intent of your claim, the impact thereof is lessened by the important fact that the Altered Beast voice samples are incredibly awesome. Having them looped through one's head for eternity would surely be some kind of bliss beyond the comprehension of mankind.

Hey, I'm not knocking Altered Beast... I used to even have a few WAV files I used as ringtones from the game.

Guess what? They lasted all of one day. That shit gets old reeeeeaaaaaal fast. By the time your cellphone says "Wiiiiisssee Fwom Youw Gwavvveee" for the third time, you start fearing for your phone's life because it's bound to get smashed soon.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
twesterm said:
NFGBlinkAC said:
@Twestern

The complete opposite of what you said is my opinion.

FFVI is outdated while FFVII had the best everything.

And yes, I did experience FFVI before FFVII and will have to say FFVII > FFVI IMO in every way possible.

*FFVI Spoilers!*
I hate how people say Kefka is the greatest villian every, and how he managed to destroy everything but the main cast, that seems way to cliche to me compared to sephiroth/jenova plot.

While I do completely respect that you like VII or VI, I do have to say this:

*SPOILERS*
Kefka did defeat the party.  he completely broke them.  He changed the world.  He ruled over the world with an iron first.  He actually did win. 

How many villains in the history of gaming managed to go from a lackey to a god in the timespan of the game?  Not many (I don't want to say none because, well, I know I can't).  Kefka is one of the very few villains that managed to do that.  On top of that,  he's just plain evil and bat shit insane.

As for the characters, as I said he did beat them and they all lost.  The amazing part of the story is the character, how they change, and how they pick themselves up and put themselves back together. 

The characters changing is why FFVI is such a good game. It's not because of the gameplay or even the cliche story (because most FF game stories are slightly cliche), it's the amazing character development.

I advise everyone that has played FFVI and does not know what a heroes journey is to read up on what exactly a heroes journey is.   FFVI is a heroes journey and a very good one at that.

Spot on. FF VI also gave you the choice of whether a character died or not(wit little consequence outside of a playable character and some dialogue but that was  a unique thing in RPGs..preventable perma death. I also liked the fact that world does change during the game. The game gets darker near the end and since you have seen some of the changes you feel you have more to fight for. FF VI fits Joseph Campbell bettre than VII as well which drew a lot more from Anime but didn't have the same feel as Chronotrigger.

GooseGaws said:
rocketpig said:
In all fairness, I don't know whether Cloud, Squall, or Tidus annoyed me the most.

Either way, I would rather loop the audio voice tracks from Altered Beast through my head for the rest of my life than read or listen to any of those guys talk ever again.

While I appreciate the intent of your claim, the impact thereof is lessened by the important fact that the Altered Beast voice samples are incredibly awesome. Having them looped through one's head for eternity would surely be some kind of bliss beyond the comprehension of mankind.

OT: I have tried playing through FFVII several times over the years and have never found it engaging enough to go more than a few hours in. The dialogue is stupid, the characters are irritating, the art design is uninteresting. Conversely, I have played entirely through FFVI at least six times and will no doubt increase this number over time. Hell, I've even played entirely through Mystic Quest a couple of times.

@twesterm:

Nice rebuttal on the Kefka argument. Couldn't agree more.

Mystic Quest isn't horrible.  It's just meant as a "begginers RPG".  The kind of RPG that you give your girlfriend to get her to like RPGs when she's just getting into gaming.  (Trust me... it works.)

Kasz216 said:
GooseGaws said:
rocketpig said:

OT: I have tried playing through FFVII several times over the years and have never found it engaging enough to go more than a few hours in. The dialogue is stupid, the characters are irritating, the art design is uninteresting. Conversely, I have played entirely through FFVI at least six times and will no doubt increase this number over time. Hell, I've even played entirely through Mystic Quest a couple of times.

@twesterm:

Mystic Quest isn't horrible. It's just meant as a "begginers RPG". The kind of RPG that you give your girlfriend to get her to like RPGs when she's just getting into gaming. (Trust me... it works.)

My point was actually that I found more lasting appeal in Mystic Quest than FFVII.  I wasn't calling it horrible (not that it's great or anything...).

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

GooseGaws said:
Kasz216 said:
GooseGaws said:
rocketpig said:

@twesterm:

Mystic Quest isn't horrible. It's just meant as a "begginers RPG". The kind of RPG that you give your girlfriend to get her to like RPGs when she's just getting into gaming. (Trust me... it works.)

My point was actually that I found more lasting appeal in Mystic Quest than FFVII. I wasn't calling it horrible (not that it's great or anything...).

Actually, Mystic Quest was pretty terrible. It may have been good for getting people into RPG's but that still doesn't mean it's a good game. If you want something that screams generic and uninspired even louder than Vaan just look at that game.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
GooseGaws said:
Kasz216 said:
GooseGaws said:

My point was actually that I found more lasting appeal in Mystic Quest than FFVII. I wasn't calling it horrible (not that it's great or anything...).

Actually, Mystic Quest was pretty terrible. It may have been good for getting people into RPG's but that still doesn't mean it's a good game. If you want something that screams generic and uninspired even louder than Vaan just look at that game.

Unfortunately, you appear to be mistaken.  A cursory glance at the GameFAQs "reviews" section for the game reveals no less than six 10/10 ratings.  Incontrovertible evidence of quality, I'm afraid.

;) 

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Mystic Quest had a better soundtrack that FF8.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Final Fantasy VII, while a good game, is no doubt overrrated, with many flaws, such as:
It is very poor graphically, especially when you look from its FMV to in-game stuff.

It is extremely easy.

Noneof the characters are very memorable, or even likable. I was at the point where I didn't mind Aeris dying because she annoyed me so much. Cloud is also annoying as hell. And who decided to make Yuffie and Cait Sith? WORST MAIN CHARACTERS EVER.

Sepiroth is a much worse villain than Kefka.

The story is also very confusing. Something that would make it more comprehensible must have been lost in translation.

Battles are an excercize in frustration when several characters can't move. It can take 30 SECONDS between enemy turns.

Why do I have only 3 slots for equipment? What was wrong with what VI had? 4 Equipment+2 Relics=Awesome.

Materia makes the game way too easy the way it's set up.

Have you ever tried to navigate a 2 pixel-wide character across a 3-pixel wide bridge, while the camera is 40 feet away? This is the game where you can!

It's unfortunate that it is not as good today as it was 10 years ago. It's also unfortunate that Final Fantasy's decline started with this game.

Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever made and probably always will be. It is popular to hate it but when people go out of their way to hate on something you should take it as a compliment. FFVII is and always will be a well loved and highly respected title regardless of how many people claim it's overrated and people only like it because it was their first RPG(which doesn't even make any sense). Sadly I'll probably never experience a game like FFVII again.

Oh and Sephiroth was surely the main villain in the game, not Jenova.

Edouble24 said:
Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever made and probably always will be. It is popular to hate it but when people go out of their way to hate on something you should take it as a compliment. FFVII is and always will be a well loved and highly respected title regardless of how many people claim it's overrated and people only like it because it was their first RPG(which doesn't even make any sense). Sadly I'll probably never experience a game like FFVII again.

Oh and Sephiroth was surely the main villain in the game, not Jenova.
You should play more games. However, Opinion is Opinion. It should be pointed out that all of jenovas cells act as one unit and Sepiroths actions were linked to his being injected with Jenova before he was brn meaning he was most strongly influenced by them and least able to have his own will. this does make Jenova the main villian in the game. As a story though this is only slightly above Anime in terms of Comprehension. there is no going out of the Way to hate it...Hate is reserved for VIII. There were several promising attributes that came out of VII that were never fully realized in other FF's but best game ever it is far from it.