By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

swyggi said:
So, we're talking about first RPG's eh? I'd just like to say that SMRPG was my first RPG, not FF7. I loved SMRPG and is still one of my favorite games. Yet I like FF7 more.
wow that was my first RPG as well. I went to replay it a few months ago and all my data was gone! I couldn't even save anymore. I like...cried. This is the one and only game I'm asking for on the VC. PLEASE NINTENDO!

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Most of the people who dislike FF7 don't have solid factual reasons beyond "X was crappy!" and "OMG TEH BAAAD GRAPHX!!!"

Naznatips' post is a good example of this.

Naznatips said:

Personally I thought FFVII was a piece of unmitigated crap filled with ridiculously awful design decisions, a horribly translated (and bad in the first place) plot, and some of the worst characters in video game history. I think it's the day FF died, and the only time I ever enjoyed FF much after FVII was IX, which imo is one of the best JRPGs ever made.

After that brief glimmer of hope though the FF series is officially dead to me, and I blame FFVII. I have blamed it and hated it ever since I was a 12 year old kid with little sparkles in my eyes paying all the money I had saved up for a year for that PSX and FFVII. I have blamed it ever since I brought it home, popped in that disc, and a part of my soul died with the awfulness. With the horrible lego character models and ridiculous dialog. With the annoying characters, and the pathetic villain (Who wasn't even the main villain of the game BTW).

FFVII is one of the most traumatically awful experiences of my 20 years of gaming.

^^Just my opinion.

There are valid reasons to dislike Final Fantasy VII but most people have boarded the hater-train which is running full speed these days and it's most definitely not powered by valid reasons.

Actually Nanzatips has posted valid reasons in the past. He is probably like me when it comes to FFVII. I have been posting why I dislike the game since 1997. You can only restate the same points so many times.  I no that I no longer feel like breaking down every aspect of FFVII and point by point stating why I dislike the game. So I will post that I dislike these aspects about FFVII (characters, story, gameplay, etc.) if anyone asks me why, then I will go into detail.

Side note: Has Final Fantasy had a top notch lead character Cecil in FFIV. Butz/Bartz was okay in FFV and FFVI didn't really have a true lead character as it was about party as a whole. 

Zidane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cecil

I like funny characters, Zidane had the humor, a good backstory, heroic nature and a god damn tail! He wins. 

I think a lot of the hatred towards FF7 stems from the fact that it was originally supposed to be an N64 game and many Nintendo fans saw it as a major betrayal when it was moved to the PS1. I'm not going to get into if the game is better or worse than FF6 (it really comes to to personal preference) but I think no matter how FF7 turned out some of the people who couldn't get over the fact that it switched consoles would still have bashed it.

Edouble24 said:
swyggi said:
So, we're talking about first RPG's eh? I'd just like to say that SMRPG was my first RPG, not FF7. I loved SMRPG and is still one of my favorite games. Yet I like FF7 more.
wow that was my first RPG as well. I went to replay it a few months ago and all my data was gone! I couldn't even save anymore. I like...cried. This is the one and only game I'm asking for on the VC. PLEASE NINTENDO!

I know man, I can't wait until Nintendo releases that beast.  Geno shall return!

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

swyggi said:
Edouble24 said:
swyggi said:

I know man, I can't wait until Nintendo releases that beast.  Geno shall return!

I'm pissed that he didn't make it into Brawl...I'll take what I can get at this point, he better appear on the VC and soon cause I've been dying to replay Mario RPG for quite some time now.

Around the Network

FF7 is nowhere near the best in the series, but I love it, so I couldnt care less if people hate it.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

You're absolutely right. I hate FF7 because it makes me cool.

Actually, I don't really hate FF7. I hate that the music is crap quality in the game (ps1's fault). I hate the Cloud and Sephiroth storyline (Almost anything involving them is so god damn retarded). I hate load times. I hate the bad translation. That's about it. Otherwise, the game is actually quite enjoyable and was made good use of more disc space with more in game things to do.

But you're right. I hate FF7 because it's cool, or as Montana said, because It's a West Vs. East thing. Though it's understandable that as your first RPG, you'll enjoy it more. It just wasn't my first RPG. If it was remade, I'd buy it because likely music and load times would be better, and I would pretend that the cloud and sephiroth storyline didn't happen, and it would be a great game.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Legend11 said:
I think a lot of the hatred towards FF7 stems from the fact that it was originally supposed to be an N64 game and many Nintendo fans saw it as a major betrayal when it was moved to the PS1. I'm not going to get into if the game is better or worse than FF6 (it really comes to to personal preference) but I think no matter how FF7 turned out some of the people who couldn't get over the fact that it switched consoles would still bash it.

Actually, none of my hate comes from the fact SE moved from Nintendo to Sony or the game was supposed to be n N64 game.  One of the things that I hate most is when people just assume that (not meaning to pick on you Legend).  I hate it that people think I'm so simple that I hate a game just because it's on whatever console.

I know there are people that actually do hate FFVII because of that but i really don't think they are the majority.  That's just something people seem to throw around all the time for whatever reason but I have actually yet to meet anyone that hates FFVII for that reason.  

I don't care if people assume I'm a fanboy or whatever but people assuming I don't think FFVI is the shit and Sephiroth isn't the most awesomest villain ever because FFVII was a PS game and not a Nintendo game just bother the piss out of me. 

Here is a brief history of the early FF series in North America as perceived by those who experienced it, to explain the significance of whether FFVII was a player's first JRPG:

FFI(1990): Good
FFII(1991): Amazing
FFIII(1994): zOMGE BEST GAME EVAR
FFVII(1997): WTF?

And for those who started the series at VII:

FFVII(1997): zOMGE BEST GAME EVAR

This concludes our scientific exhibition.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

twesterm said:
Legend11 said:
I think a lot of the hatred towards FF7 stems from the fact that it was originally supposed to be an N64 game and many Nintendo fans saw it as a major betrayal when it was moved to the PS1. I'm not going to get into if the game is better or worse than FF6 (it really comes to to personal preference) but I think no matter how FF7 turned out some of the people who couldn't get over the fact that it switched consoles would still bash it.

Actually, none of my hate comes from the fact SE moved from Nintendo to Sony or the game was supposed to be n N64 game.  One of the things that I hate most is when people just assume that (not meaning to pick on you Legend).  I hate it that people think I'm so simple that I hate a game just because it's on whatever console.

I know you're not picking on me... I used the words "many" and "some" which obviously means "not all".