By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does Yahoo call Microsoft a hostile takeover?

1st: Yahoo had a meeting with google to "Tips for Yahoo to find a better deal elsewhere". Now I don't see how Yahoo could be so dumb, seeing that Google is the reason they're in this situation. Isn't it obvious that they just don't want Microsoft as their competition?

2nd: Google owns over 50% of the search market, Yahoo owns 22.9, Microsoft owns 9.7. WTF! Even if MS gets Yahoo thats only 33% of the market! Still not enough to take on Google, so how does that qualify as a "Hostile takeover"?

Anyone with any input on this? I have more Quams but I can't get into all of them, I'm in a rush.

David

Around the Network

IT doesn't. A hostile takeover would be MS buying up all the Yahoo shares they can get their hands on and slowly getting a bigger piece of the pie. They made an open bid, Yahoo rejected it. Hardly hostile takeover.

Umm, little kid, it has to do with if yahoo accepts the deal or not.

Yahoo's board rejected the deal. They believe Yahoo is worth more than Microsoft's bid.

A hostile takeover is when one company tries to take over the other against it's wishes. It has nothing to do with search engine market share..

Microsoft is probably going to continue attempting to purchase Yahoo against Yahoo's wishes. They can do this by offering to buy shares from individual investors until they have enough to take control. That is a hostile takeover.

foecheezee1 said:

1st: Yahoo had a meeting with google to "Tips for Yahoo to find a better deal elsewhere". Now I don't see how Yahoo could be so dumb, seeing that Google is the reason they're in this situation. Isn't it obvious that they just don't want Microsoft as their competition?

2nd: Google owns over 50% of the search market, Yahoo owns 22.9, Microsoft owns 9.7. WTF! Even if MS gets Yahoo thats only 33% of the market! Still not enough to take on Google, so how does that qualify as a "Hostile takeover"?

Anyone with any input on this? I have more Quams but I can't get into all of them, I'm in a rush.

You have no Idea what a hostile take over is, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeover 

Read and learn :o) 

please dont yahoo :D

Around the Network

Like others have said (and linked), it is a hostile takeover because MS is trying to take over Yahoo but Yahoo doesn't want it to happen.

The opposite is like when Activision and Vivendi merged, they got together and made a deal that both parties were happy with; not so here.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Sri, but we don't know if it's that Yahoo doesn't want bought out. It could just be that they feel $44b isn't enough.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Last I heard, Yahoo wants AOL to buy them. I think there making a mistake there.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

So if Google buys Yahoo then they will own the top three pages by hits and ~75% of all web based advertising?

Yahoo and Google won't work. That'd create a monopoly and the FCC or whatever government agencies in the world wouldn't allow it. Hell, Google buying doubleclick barely made it past as a monopoly, Yahoo would definitely make it a monopoly. :/