By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Presidential question...

madskillz said:
totalwar23 said:
^Yes, ask the Supreme Court, because if such a thing should happen, the Supreme Court will probably be the one to decide on the matter, and their word is law.

But they won't select an ex-president to be vice president OR Speaker of the House. I was thinking that too, but I'm still not entirely sure. Like Nancy Pelosi - literally, she's two heartbeats from the presidency. Only problem is that she's never been president.

Around the Network

One can't be vice president if they can't be president. If one has served two terms as president one can not be president. "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States"

section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice,
so being ineligible to be president having served 2 terms one could not be president

Wonktonodi said:
One can't be vice president if they can't be president. If one has served two terms as president one can not be president. "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States"

section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice,
so being ineligible to be president having served 2 terms one could not be president

I thought that too...

"The Twelfth Amendment explicitly precluded from being Vice President those ineligible to be President: people under thirty-five years of age, those who have not inhabited the United States for at least fourteen years, and those who are not natural-born citizens."

"It doesn't say anything about terms. maybe that is implied?"

I'm thinking that is right, I just wanted to check, because it was kinda confusing there for a while.

Post deleted

Hilary herself said on Letterman that Bill couldn't be Vice President and semi-joked "that she had looked into that already".

Around the Network

Post deleted

madskillz said:
It also excludes Arnold ...

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Is that a direct quote?

If so then no one is eligible due to not being alive at the time of the adoption of the Constitution.  Funny that.